701 Congess Avenue, Austin, Texas, 78701, United States

InterContinental Stephen F. Austin
Booking.com IHG Priceline.com

• Super location city hotel

Service was excellent, the room was OK, but the location could not be better! Right at the centre, near the capitol and easy access to the highways as well! Great!

Unique Quality: I think it might have been valet only..but not sure. The valet service was super though.. say hi to Larry! :-)

Directions: Turn to Congress and it's right there. Very easy to access from the highway too.

• klasher's Profile Photo

Historical Hotel

I have stayed here several times. Each time I purchased on Hotwire.com The rooms are small, but with great views. There is a nice bar on the 2nd floor which overlooks Congress Ave and the Capitol. Within walking distance to all of the nightlife in Downtown Austin.

More about Inter-Continental Stephen F. Austin

Got to know what to ask for.

After reading all the hot & cold reviews, I was a bit weary of staying here. I just finished an 11-day stay at this hotel (for a business conference) and have to say that this hotel exceeded my expectations for cleanliness, staff efficiency/friendliness, and value for the money. I think that all older hotels suffer some level in inconsistency across the board. This may be due to several factors, including the fact that some floors and rooms have very different setups and levels of service. It’s not “cookie cutter consistent” because the hotel wasn’t originally built to that standard (ca 1924). So, take note: If you stay here, make sure you get on floors 5-10 (away from the restaurant, ballroom and street noise) and pick rooms X04, X06, X07, X08 or X11 on each of these floors (substitute the “X” for the floor number).

Not a good experience

by TripAdvisor Member iMagellan

Got the room through Hot Wire. It said it was a 4 1/2 star category which I have trouble seeing.

The first room they checked us into was not even made. They would only give us a room by the ice machine or the elevator.
The next room we got (by the ice machine) had a very large stain on the carpet and our white socks turned black just from walking on the carpet. There was like a red ketchup or sauce stain on the bed cover but we figured it wasn't going to get much better and we were trapped because of our prepayed reservations.

I had to wait one hour and a half and make three phone calls to the front desk (the cleaning staff goes home early) to get a synthetic pillow.
The cleaning lady popped in the room once without even knocking while I was undressing.
One day, they forgot to give us towels. They would not change the shampoo unless it was empty.
My wife's sweater was stolen in the room.

The concierge also leaves early in the afternoon.

The AC is terrible and turns the room super cold then lets the room warm up and then cold again: I got sick because of it.

Positives: The restaurant was very good and the location was good.

Never staying there again. Have stayed at many hotels around the world and this one was terrible.

Great location, average room

by TripAdvisor Member henmel

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were quickly greeted by the bellhops. They were courteous and helped us unpack our bags from the car. After a speedy check in, we went up to our room. We encountered a funky smell in the elevator and again on our floor 11. We entered our room and it was just an average hotel room. The decor was original, bed was comfortable, linens/towels were of nice quality, and everything was clean. The best part of this hotel is their bar, which has an outside patio where you can sit and enjoy a cocktail while taking in the view of Congress and the capitol. The hotel location is great but when I stay in Austin again, I probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

what i expected.

I must say.... this is a beautiful Hotel. I have stayed at the Driskill. It was very dark and had less personality. The Four Seasons in Austin is way overpriced, especially for someone who was questing in Austin.

I laugh at the reviews from ones who have booked their rooms through Hotwire or from any other third party reservation (priceline, expedia, et cetera). If you search for a room through these sites, you can expect only a standard minimum. This is what is expected from these "bargain fares." These guests should directly book a room with a La Quinta.

I made my reservation days ahead through the Hotel. i was given a beautiful room.

As a frequent business traveler, this Hotel is what I need. Their service, especially the Front Desk and Valet suceeded their boundaries on my satisfaction. I will definately return to this Hotel.

I pity the ones who searched a "wholefare" reservation. Perhaps they should just reflect their personal budget and secure a room at a Motel 6.

Clinton

Loud Construction surrounding hotel and rude service

by TripAdvisor Member jamie_webster

Rooms are ok...slightly above a basic room...nothing fancy. However, my husband and I were awoken at 7:00 am with loud construction from outside. This is apparently normal for the hotel.

I talked to the service desk about this and they told me that I should write to the city of Austin - it's not there fault...they've been asking the city to not start construction until later. Obviously, they were aware of the problem, and still chose to put people in rooms adjacent to the construction. Not only that, they wouldn't offer any sort of compensation - not a free breakfast, no comped valet, nothing. When I walked away, the supervisor was laughing.

I don't know about most people, but when I pay almost $300 for a room for a night, I expect a little more courtesy than that.

Very nice, but not perfect

by TripAdvisor Member rjmartintx

We spent a Thursday and Friday night here, having booked our room through Southwest Airlines web site. Who knows ... maybe it makes a difference! We got a corner room on the top floor (15), the "club" floor. The room, though smallish with only a queen bed, was very nicely decorated. Amenities in it were excellent. They brought us a complimentary basket of fruit and bottled water the first afternoon. Bath amenities were well above average, and probably the best we've ever had, but the trade off was a small bathroom requiring a good deal of cooperation between users. We solved the air conditioning problem of too cold/too warm mentioned by others by simply putting the fan in the manual always-on position. That kept air constantly circulating and we never noticed temperature changes. It also masked any street noises, although the room was high enough that noises were minimal anyway. We, too, thought the restaurant and bar were outstanding. But I must give the "free" breakfast in the Club room on our floor a C-, or maybe D+. Food in it was only average; it wasn't keep well stocked, and the happy hour wine went dry well before closing time. They definitely need to work on this. Overall, the experience was nice and we enjoyed our stay. It's not the best hotel in Austin, but it is a very good one.

Comments