Super 8 Motel - Austin North

8128 North Interstate 35, I-35 & Powell Lane, Austin, Texas, 78753, United States
Super 8 Austin North
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Austin

TUNA DOES LAS VEGAS at the ParamountTUNA DOES LAS VEGAS at the Paramount

Terry's Texas RangersTerry's Texas Rangers

View from insideView from inside

Texas Chili Parlor - Inside (2007)Texas Chili Parlor - Inside (2007)

A couple questions, advice needed

by yoyosh

I'm planning a little trip to Austin in late December, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

1. Are the bats under the bridge a year round thing or just in the summer? We'd love to do one of the river boat cruises to see them if available this time of year, can anyone reccomend a specific company/website?

2. Any good kayak companies in town that offer rentals/guided tours in the area?

3. What is the best BBQ?? I've read a lot about both Salt Lick and County Line (i'm not sure if Threadgill's is considered a real BBQ joint).

Thanks in advance!

by ridermirv

Howdy,

The bats migrate to Austin in March and stay until October. The best time to see them is in August and September. Right at sundown is when they come out from under the bridge. You should be able to pick up pamplets about boat cruises to see them in your hotel.

There are plenty of outfitters that rent kayaks and canoes in town, so you won't have a problem finding one.

As far as the best BBQ, that's a matter of opinion. In Austin my favarite is Sam's on east 12th st. In the surrounding towns, Crosstown in Elgin, Muellers in Taylor, and several places in Lockhart and Luling have good que.

Happy trails,

Marc

by klasher

Ditto on the previous poster's bat answer. As far as BBQ-it is a matter of opinion. I would totally veto The County Line. Nice restaurant ambiance, overpriced, mediocre BBQ. I would go to the Salt Lick (the one in Dripping Springs) for the Texas vibe. My favorite personally is the Green Mesquite on Barton Springs. Threadgill's is good for Home Cooking, not BBQ. Try the Gospel Brunch on Sundays if you want the Austin/Threadgill's/Live music combo experience.
Blue Skies!
Kim

by klasher

I forgot to answer your kayak question. Check out www.austinrowing.org They should have some info for you!
Kim

Travel Tips for Austin

austin is a wonderfull place...

by talamasca

austin is a wonderfull place for me, because I love the live music and there we can listen all the blues.
In this place is the Stevie Ray Vaughan memorial and I'm SRV's fan. We can met fantastic pleople in our trip. the picture that we take in the SRV´s memorial. Austin city limits studios and the shows in momo's and babe's.

Texas Relays

by kd_baby

Roughly the first or 2nd weekend of April, Austin becomes the hotspot for Track and Field action.
There are tons of high school, college, and pro races and events to watch. However, most people come to Austin for the (after) parties. If you ever want to see an extremely lively night in Austin, go out on the weekend of the Texas Relays.

Canoe the Lake

by ShinerBlonde

If you have the time and it's NOT raining (which usually happens when it comes to me and water), go to Zilker park and rent a canoe. Especially during the hot summers here, it's a great and unique date option.

The prices aren't bad: There's two places that I know of - one near the Congress bridge which costs $20 an hour OR one near Barton Springs for $10 an hour.
But there's tons of other places out there!

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Centre

by keeweechic

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - (formerly the National Wildflower Research Center), was founded by Lady Bird Johnson in 1982. The centre moved from a former hayfield to its present 42 acre site. The grounds include numerous display gardens, themed gardens and landscaped areas. Very colourful of course, during Spring.

4801 La Crosse Ave (south of the city on I-35 Exit 227).

Great Music

by hope6481 about Speakeasy

At first I wasn't sure about this place. It's kinda small and feels old. We ordered a drink and headed to the roof top to check it out. Whoooaa, the stairs are scarey. They have to be a mile long, but we hiked them anyway. I am glad we did. The rooftop is wonderful. We sat at a private seating area lit only by a dim candle. We could see the hussle and bussle downtown. It was quiet and romantic. We talked for a while and then headed down that massive stairwell. When we made it back down stairs the band was ready to play. MoTown music is what they played and we enjoyed it. So did everyone else in Austin it seemed. That place got packed and we had a blast. Dressy Casual

Comments