Sunday houses were small second dwellings maintained near a church as a weekend place of residence. They became popular in the late 1800s among farmers and ranchers who lived in areas too remote to permit commuting to services. The families owning such houses normally left their farms and ranches Saturday morning, journeyed to town, took care of shopping and business, attended an evening dance or party, and spent the night in the Sunday house. On Sunday they attended church in the morning and either returned home in the afternoon or attended Sunday school in the afternoon, and then spent a second night in town. Sunday houses were also used when a member of the family needed to stay in town to conduct business or receive medical attention. Some of them had 1½ stories, with a gabled roof to form an attic, usually reached from an outside stairway, that served as the children's sleeping quarters.
The Schwarz "Sunday house" is on the grounds of the Sunday House Inn. It was built in the style of a Sunday house but not actually used as a traditional Sunday house. By 1900 William Schwarz and his family were living in this rock house at 911 S. Main Street, Boerne. It is said to have been built by him with the help of relatives and friends. There were three rooms on the bottom floor, bedroom, kitchen and dining room. The attic was finished later, with an outside stairway. Well-drilling was his listed occupation (1900 census) though he was much sought-after as a builder and rock mason. Schwarz was elected Marshall of the City of Boerne in 1914.
Home of Tootie Pie Company
"Tootie Pie Company, Inc."
If you have never had a Tootie Pie, go to www.tootiepieco.com and order one! We are famous for our apple; it's six-pounds and delicious! But, Tootie's favorite is the buttermilk. Heavenly chocolate is my flavor of the day!
You can have a slice in Boerne at The Hungry Horse or at The Dodging Duck, or you can go by the Tootie Pie Company at 129 Industrial Drive in Boerne and pick up whole pies to take home.
"Just another quiet night at home in Boerne...."
At home after our Tootie Pie Shop Celebration....
"What you might see in Boerne..."
...but only on Halloween!
Other Historic Buildings in Boerne, Texas
"Max Beseler Building - 1908"
A good web page for all the historic buildings in Boerne is http://www.rootsweb.com/~txkendal/houses.htm. It is based on the files in the Boerne Public Library Historic Research Room.
The building in this picture was originally used to house the Beseler Stores- a dress shop, haberdashery and saloon. Max Beseler's Dress-up Shop and Haberdashery was the original business at 141. After prohibition Max Beseler reopened his well known bar at 143 where [his son-in- law], Udo Harz, continued until 1974. It was built in 1908 (or 1916 by some accounts) and reconstructed in 1985. The address has changed to 133 South Main Street. It now houses It's a Jungle in Here. They sell animal novelties and collectables.
"Ziegler Building - 1902"
William Ziegler bought property on Boerne's Main Street in 1897 from Mrs. Secunda Schertz and then in 1902 he bought an adjacent lot from W. J. Wilke. These are the lots on which he built the Ziegler building in order to open a hardware store. The family living quarters were in the second story of the building. He operated the hardware business until 1907 when the Vogt Brothers, August, Arthur and Rudolph, bought the business. The building was enlarged by adding to the back of the building. Located at 179 South Main Street, it now houses the Boerne Emporium, which is supposed to have some of the best prices on antiques in town.
"H. O. Adler Building - 1911"
The original H.O. Adler Building was built in 1902. It was a one-story, wooden frame building. The small building was replaced by the current two-story building in 1911. The Adler family resided on the second floor while operating a general store on the first floor.
The building was purchased by Edgar Bergmann in 1969. The Bergmann family is still operating the Bergmann Lumber Co. at this location at 236 South Main Street.
"Phillips House Manor - 1875"
The Joseph Phillips House or Phillips House Manor was built between 1860 and 1875. As happened so many times in frontier villages, the original Phillips house was probably a very simple building. Structural evidence indicates that the first residence was modified and expanded several times, resulting in the large Phillips House Manor as it now stands.
It was operated as an elegant hotel during the late 1800's and early 1900's. The Boerne Shooting club was founded in the Manor, and the original target range was in the back.
Located at 706 South Main Street, it now houses an art gallery called the Red Bandana.
"Victorian House - 1900"
One of three Victorian houses built by Ed Clemens. All had picket fences. Located at 438 South Main Street (near the old mill), it is now Buy Buy Birdie, a shop with cottage furnishings. The Peach Tree Country Kitchen (448 S. Main St.) and Hippie Chicks (424 S. Main St.) are the other two houses.
"Reinhard House / Landmark Antique Mall - 1993"
There was a house on this lot in the early 1890's occupied by Edna Reinhard. In the 1950's Dr. Jack Diamond had his office in this house and owned the building across the street where he had a hospital. After Dr. Diamond moved to Louisiana, Dr. Gremmel took his practice and had an office in the Reinhard House.
The house was torn down about 1970 and the lot remained empty for many years until the Dutton's built the Landmark. The exterior is pressed tin construction.
The Landmark Antique Mall is located at 404 South Main Street. It is across the street from the Bear Moon Bakery and Cafe.
"Gottlieb Weiss House -1887"
Mr. Weiss was a German pioneer blacksmith. His shop was in the back. This house was in the same family for over 100 years but is now the "A Little Nature Store." It is located at 106 East Theissen, behind the Bear Moon Bakery and Cafe.
"Joe Vogt Building - 1912"
The Joe Vogt Building was built in 1912. Located at 401 South Main Street, it was originally a grocery and dry goods store. It now houses the Bear Moon Bakery and Cafe.