Holiday Inn Brownsville

Satisfaction Poor

More about Brownsville

Moving to Brownsville

by Eclypze

Taking a huge risk and uplifting my roots. I'll be moving from Upstate, NY to Brownsville, Texas around November of this year. Basically, my question being, how is the job market around there?

I am used to the current job of Asst. Restaurant Manager, getting paid around 23,000 a year, and paying my rent cost of roughly $500.00 including utilities (lucky me!)

I believe its my biggest worry of not finding a job that will give me enough money to live, and have a little fun. I will be moving in with my boyfriend who has lived in Brownsville for over a year and a half - so at least i won't be alone!

Any words will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Moving to Brownsville

by quefregados

I assume you have already started the job search? I hope so - as much as statistics say this or that or the economy is here or there, there are always people leaving their positions - the problem is, are you proactive enough to get yourself the maximum exposure possible. Have your boyfriend start networking for you now & the minute you can begin to communicate with Brownsville folks - do it. The more people know you are looking, your chances will increase. Hopefully you have visited Brownsville, you speak some Spanish, and you know what organizations (restaurants) you want to target. Some larger restaurants have recruitment from a regional office so you can even look on the internet for their listings. Good luck from the Career Services worker at Texas A&M International University - just up the road in Laredo. Buena Suerte!

Re: Re: Moving to Brownsville

by Eclypze

Yep.. been looking on the myRVG.com website for anything that sounds even remotely interesting to step into until a better opportunity opens up. So far? no luck. As for my spanish - rusty, but, I'll have to learn quick. I still have until November to keep looking. I'll be taking a 3 week trip in Sept/ Oct to do the physical looking - dropping off applications, inquiring of positions, etc.

Thanks again for your words! Oh, and since you mentioned it *smiles* if you come across anything, give a hollar!

EclypzeTW@hotmail.com

heh heh.. Thanks again.

~Sarah~

Travel Tips for Brownsville

For me, the best place on...

by Majnoon

For me, the best place on South Padre is Kelly's Irish Pub. It is a local bar, but it has that small island atmosphere with great pub grub and very reasonable priced pints (Guinness that is).

The thing to do is rent some kind of buggy, there are many places to choose from, and cruise up and down the island.

At the beach you can do all the normal water sports; water-skiing, parasailing, boating, riding the dunes with a dune buggy or a horse, etc... The water is a nice blue, and warm.

Fishing is great down there. They have many good piers to fish from or the jetties are a great place too. My fondest memory of Padre is fishing on the pier one night when a water spout went right through us. It was wild. A squall blew in real fast and we watched this water spout form right in front of us and then it picked up speed and went right over the pier. It was too violent, but man what a sight. We ended up in the bait house watching the rain and wind blow like hell. It was all over in about an hour. That is a great memory!

Comments