13300 Lehmann Legacy Lane, Cat Spring, Texas, 78933, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about BlissWood B&B at Lehmann Legacy Ranch

A slice of life at the Lehmann House

by TripAdvisor Member FortWorthZebra

Just returned from a long weekend at Blisswood and it certainly lived up to the name. The ranch is tucked away under hundred-year-old live oak trees and was truly the epitome of rest and relaxation for me. If you are looking for some of life's simple pleasures and a quiet time to decompress, this is definitely the place. I woke early in the morning to run several miles and never saw a soul, paddled and fished in the enchanted pond, and rocked peacefully in the porch swing at the house. Dinner at Carol's at Cat Spring was fantastic, it is a wonderful little restaurant with great food and service. Staying at the ranch is almost like having your very own little cottage in the country if you have never had the experience. The best part of the trip was being able to bring my 13 year old golden retriever! I was glad that Blisswood is a pet friendly ranch. He had such a wonderful time that I couldn't get him out of the car when we got home, and when I finally went out in the yard to bring him in, he was hiding from me! When the dog wishes it wasn't over, now THAT is a really good weekend.

Heaven is not lost - it is called Blisswood!!!

by TripAdvisor Member eveningshine

We rented the Texas Farmhouse for our son's 16th birthday weekend. It was everything we expected and more. There is truly something for everyone on this ranch. The kids all just "hung out" with the animals, and explored nature. They never got "bored", which made our stay much more enjoyable. The house was just charming with the old pictures, quilts, and antique appliances. I don't think I have ever seen a refrigerator that old that still worked. It was great!! You have to appreciate history and relaxation to truly enjoy this property. We ate at Carol's Restaurant, we met Carol. She is a wonderful person. She speaks German beautifully, and she is a native Texas. I was very impressed, with her knowledge about so many different things! Her and her staff made us feel so welcome and comfortable. Chef Jaimes brought out a sample of sweet potato fries and sauce that he wanted us to try - it was delicious! The steak was perfect. If you ever go, make sure you get the sweet potato fries and sauce - I don't think it is on the menu. When we got back to the farm house I spent most of the rest of the night and the next morning walking around the inside of the house just exploring and looking at the antiques and pictures! Before we went to bed we saw something moving around outside the front door - it was a deer. He was so cute! We went out on the porch to get pictures and instead of running away, like we thought he was going to do, he walked up and stuck his nose over to get petted. The next morning, we explored outside. We saw the bison, miniature donkeys, horses, peacocks, dogs, cats and all the other ranch animals. Even the deer came back for more petting. For an "unhosted" B&B, we never felt like we were 'abandoned'. It was a perfect balance. Carol, her staff and other visitors were all over the ranch, walking, working and rushing around in golf carts. The staff never "bothered" us, they waved and/or asked if there was anything we needed and made sure we were enjoying our stay. It was a perfect balance - they were close enough to help but far enough that we had our own space. Example: my husband tried to take our trash out and Armando intercepted the bag right away and then told us that he would pick it up if we set it on our porch. We did not want to come home - we miss Blisswood! It is truly "Bliss" in the woods. Everyone is so friendly there - even the "wild"life. We WILL be back. We want to stay in the Enchanted Cabin next time. We plan to eventually stay in all of the cabins.

A Perfect Stay - Cannot WAIT to do it again!

by TripAdvisor Member tygger281

I am a seasoned B&B traveler (over 15 years and over 200 B&Bs in different countries and states), and Blisswood is a truly refreshing and amazing oasis! We were going to the 7iL trail ride with two Tennessee Walkers, and I needed to be pampered instead of primitive, which is the type of camping we would have had to do at 7iL.

We stayed at the Log Cabin. While it is just next to the animal pens and barns, and near some other houses, being in the Log Cabin is like being transported to another place and period. I loved the unfinished floors and rustic interior. As a quilter and a fiber artist, I found it inspiring, and my quilting friends want to come with me soon and have a quilt retreat there! Bathing in the soaking tub in the unfinished wood bathroom is just a treat in itself - after a long day of trail riding at the other ranch, and then bedding the horses, it felt like heaven.

Then, we went to Carol's restaurant a few miles away and OMG! The food is ASTOUNDING! This is four star quality food and a four star ambience in the middle of a "town" that is literally an intersection! It is one of those rare, magical opportunities!

The cabin is so sound insulated, that while there may be outdoor activity, one cannot hear it. You wake up in the morning feeling like you might walk outside and have been transported to Montana or Wyoming. I will warn you, there are some enthusiastic roosters that compete at the half hour mark on the hour, but they did not wake me. I only heard them because I got up to go to the bathroom! But to folks who are finicky sleepers and hear EVERYTHING, you might try the Dogtrot, Writers Cabin, or even the Enchanted Cabin, that is VERY VERY remote! I intend to stay there next time just because of the lake, bridges and gazebo!

We were even able to put in a two mile trail ride on our Walking horses, and it was so amazingly peaceful and beautiful. We didn't get to go all over the ranch because we didn't schedule a guided ride to get to know our way around, but we rode for an hour, and after seven miles two days before, that was PERFECT!

We cannot WAIT to get back! Blisswood is not a place to go and expect to "do it all" in a weekend. This is a real working ranch , which is a business unto itself, and you are a privileged guest invited to observe and in some regards participate. It is an opportunity to form a relationship with Carol and her staff, and that is why we look forward to many many stays!

There are exotics on the ranch - we saw llamas and a camel! And right at our cabin, a little deer that is a ranch pet comes right up and is so sweet! There are many horses, and you can tell that Carol is a lifetime owner, because a few of her horses are geriatric - and while to the casual, uneducated eye, these much older horses may appear to be "poor" - an educated eye can tell that they are healthy and happy in their last years. Bravo, Carol, for providing them a full life and their final years in the place they know and love. So many folks will put their 20+ year old horses to sleep if those horses cannot stay butterball fat. I have a 21 year mare myself who simply cannot hold the weight she used to due to arthritis issues.

It is TRULY remote, and while basically unhosted, each house is fully equipped for fixing and storing food, so be sure to bring what you need to be happy! Don't count on your cell phone working in the heart of the property - and to get internet access on a card, you might have to drive to Bellville or Sealy. Vacation stems from the word "vacate" - and Blisswood is the PERFECT place to which to VACATE! I came back refreshed and bonded with my animals in a way that would never happen anywhere else!

The perfect heart of the hill country, happy and healthy animals, beautiful period accommodations - in a word - remote luxury!

Stress Free Get a Way

by TripAdvisor Member PePa5

Was looking for somewhere to get a way from the real world and Blisswood was it. Quite, peaceful and relaxing. The Leahmann
House sleeps up to 8, but was very quaint for the two of us
A fully equipted kitchen, large dining area and sitting room
provide us with a chance to play board games and enjoy each other. No Television or big city noises.

Napping on the front porch in the rocking chairs, covering ourselves in blankets to keep the winter chill away, listening to the wind blowing through the trees and the birds chirping.
Taking long walks on the rocky roads, petting the horses and watching the other animals feed in the pastures, you could just feel the stress slip away.

wonderful anniversary

by TripAdvisor Member cullarfultravler

My first time to visit Blisswood. And I (we) will definately plan a return. I'm a country girl at heart so of course I loved the ranch setting. My boyfriend however is a complete city mouse. I wasn't sure if he'd be so excited as me, but not to worry. We had a nice dinner at Carol's Restaurant and a wonderful evening away from any and all distractions. The next day, we were treated to a "feeding" tour by on of the ranch hands. We followed along with him as he fed all of the animals. We even got to feed a deer from our hands.

the Dittmar house is where we stayed and it was very nice. Rustic but nice. I think it could use a coat of paint as the all important "first impression" is a bit sad due to the shabby exterior. the inside was decorated with comfortable furniture.

All in all it was a nice weekend and we will go back.

Great place to enjoy peace and serenity

by TripAdvisor Member robineparker

Blisswood B&B is a beautiful 650 acres of quiet and peacefulness. We stayed at Lehman House with friends and it was fantastic! It was such a fun place to stay and rest from the hectic work week. We also ate at Carol's at Cat Spring and thoroughly enjoyed the food and wine. Plus we had a very nice visit with our host, Carol. I think Blisswood is a great place to rest and enjoy the great outdoors. It was fun seeing the animals and we even got to pet the camel. We can't wait to return and try one of the other accomodations on the property. I guess we'll have to keep going back until we've stayed in them all!!!

An Amazing Time at Blisswood B&B

by TripAdvisor Member ofiso

My wife and I have been married for about 9 years and we try to do vacations and/or getaways every year. Our 3 -day stay at the Blisswood B&B was the best EVER in our marriage. We stayed at the Texas Farmhouse. We loved the early 20th century setting of everything and no TV or other electronics that make life so stressful nowadays. We did horseriding and what fun that was!! We rode for hours and the owner, Carol Davis, rode with us on the beautiful ranch. The scenery was so, so beautiful and peaceful. We will surely return!

Romantic Hideaway 1 hour from Houston

by TripAdvisor Member Teode

We were searching for a romantic getaway during the New Years weekend, being very busy during the holidays we just wanted to have peace and quiet and time with each other. We were surprised to find such a wonderful place so close to Houston. Blisswood is aptly named as it is very peaceful, relaxing and comfortable. They purposely do not provide Television or Internet connectivity, and while my Blackberry worked, i resisted using it and had it turned off most of the time. Carol Davis is the owner and it is truly a labor of love and she has put together a wonderful collection of themed accomodations that are just expertly done. We stayed in the Texas Farmhouse and were charmed immediately and never wanted to leave. We used the facilities to cook for ourselves but we also had a wonderful time at Carols resturant down the road which is an outstanding first class eatery which could compete with any place in Houston -- i cannot reccomend her place enough we had a wonderful steak. We walked and talked and sat on the porch and watched the active animals in this working ranch. We rode horses and had picnic by the pond... we read books and talked to each other in Blissful quiet. One day we had a Massage which was very good, lasted for 60 minutes and was reasonably priced. If you live in Houston and want to just get away for a weekend then there is no better place than blisswood. Less than 1 hour outside of the city and you enter a new world, this is too good to be true and we will certainly return and the only problem will be to choose whether we want to stay in the Texas Farmhouse which we adored or try another one of Carol's amazing houses.

Unique and wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member escapetonature

We chose Blisswood, with it's natural setting, relaxed atmosphere, and a unique charm for our x-mas break vacation this year.
Each accommodation (there are about 10) is different, and they're scattered about the 650 magnificent acres. Ours, the Sullivan House, was at the end of a ranch road, completely private, and included a front porch with rockers, fully equipped kitchen, living room with a wonderful fireplace, a large dining area, and 3 charmingly decorated bedrooms. It was set in the amazing beauty of old oak trees with its own lake.
At the barn, where we met for a trail ride, we first met Carol, owner and host, and a variety of animals and birds. Carol, led the ride, which was amazing - there were llamas, bison, camels, deer, gazelles, goats, cattle, horses, emus, and much more - all in very magical settings. Skeeter, a Pulitzer prize winning photographer, came along in a golf cart, photographing us the whole way (which he subsequently burned to disks and gave us as souvenirs).
Another morning we went around the ranch in golf carts and fed (and photographed) the animals - more surprises, more fun.
In addition to hiking and biking within the ranch, we explored the area by car. We'd never been in Texas before, so were in awe of everything, from the general stores and local eateries, to the big sky, to the small towns to the beautiful scenery - not to mention, the local tavern.
Carol's at Cat Springs Cafe, is a rustically elegant restaurant, with a very talented and enthusiastic chef from New Orleans (my daughter is a vegan and he was excited to create interesting dishes for her). The food was delicious and creative, the staff was extraordinary. The front room has a gallery of Skeeter's photographs, including magazines and books with his work. We even had the pleasure of meeting Carol's baby kangaroo, Roger, there.
If you're looking for a laid-back vacation, enveloped in nature but with all the creature comforts, this is a place! The staff is incredibly personable and attentive, but not in your face - just a cell phone call away. Brochures are provided for places of interest within the area, if one wants to do some sightseeing - or not.....

Blisswood, the name says it all

by TripAdvisor Member rueverhome

Blisswood, 1 hour from Houston. Great Texas countryside.
We had a weekend in the Log Cabin. Don't go there if you are after luxury, this it is not. But for an authentic Texas Ranch and antiques it is perfect.
We first met Armundo, who seems to be the overseer. He helped with anything you required. He even helped us fix a punctured tyre.
The log cabin, small and romantic. Lovely fireplace - perfect for winter. The rocking chairs on the porch were just right. The cabin is located next to the barn, so you are right in the midst of things. We seen most of the animals each day, peacocks, fat belly pigs, horses, goats, donkeys, chickens, dear, camel, bison, even emus and Carols baby joey (being from Australia this made us feel right at home). Not to mention all the dogs and cats. Even they made us feel at home. Although there is always someone around, they were all very friendly, but not intrusive.
Carol is a very interesting person, she seems to have her fingers in so many things, but still extremely personable and makes you feel very comfortable.
We went Carols in Cat Springs to eat on the Saturday night and this was also very pleasant and nice to find in the country.
We will certainly recommend a visit if this is what you are after and we will be returning when we our time permits.
Thank you Carol and workers for sharing your piece of Texas with us.

Comments