320 Texas Ave South, College Station, Texas, 77840, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about College Station

One of the main pathsOne of the main paths

Texas TTexas T

College Station info

by kimmyboots

Will someone please share info. on College Station? I'm interested in moving there and although I have some info., I'd like a native's perspective;) haha
Mostly, I'm interested in good apartments and public transportation. Also, nightlife, and culture. Any info. wil be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kimmyboots

Re: College Station info

by BeckyP

Since we're a colleg town- there are tons of apartments- there has been a huge burst of building here in the past few years. College Station is really turning from a town into a city.

There's not much public transportation, unless you're a student at A&M. They've got a great bus system that takes you from home to the campus. In my 5 plus years of living here, I never took a cab.

As far as the nightlife- there are quite a few great bars. Life is really pretty casual here. Jeans are the common attire at most every bar. There are a couple of 'clubs' that come and go.. but the popular bars are mostly sit around, listen to good music and talk type places.

Culture.. it depends on what you mean by that. An English friend came to visit me here, and said it had a lot of culture. We are lucky to have the University- it brings in shows and exhibits... that type of culture. If you're talking local Texan culture- it's got it. Go down to the Dixie Chicken for a Shiner and take a look at the rattle snakes in the cage by the pool tables.

Disclaimer- As a student, this is a phenomnal place to live- however, there is not alot for singles in their upper 20's early 30's. Most of the nightlife is catered towards the college students.

Travel Tips for College Station

Stroll Northgate.

by AdriannaTex

Living in College Station, you are either an Aggie or a 'Two-percenter.' I guess I'm a Two-percenter because I don't embrace all the Aggie traditions. When I moved here, I got a job with the Chamber of Commerce. One of my first assignments was to create an invitation for an event that was sponsored by A&M. I made the invitation and went to have it printed. I told the lady at the copy store that I wanted the invitation printed on orange paper since it was a breakfast event and I thought that was a nice, bright color. She said, 'No, no, no... you don't want to do that!' I had no clue why. I said to just print it on orange and she shook her head while she wrote down my order. I thought about it for a minute and decided, well, maybe she knows better than I. I just figured that she 'bled maroon' (die-hard Aggie) and that she thought all A&M-associated things should be represented in some shade of red. I picked a red color and moved on with the day. Later, I told the President of the Chamber, my boss, about my original orange pick and he just about died. He told me that orange was the color of their arch enemy and major rival, University of Texas. If all those invitations had gone out in orange, every A&M person would have called to find out what kind of joke was being played on them. I would have been seriously in danger of losing my new job. That is one of my many faux pas with the Aggie tradition. If you visit or move here, familiarize yourself with the Aggie world of traditions first! I learned my lesson.

Comments