1115 League Line Rd, Conroe, TX 77303

State Flag designState Flag design

Travel Tips for Conroe

Free Museum

by grandmaR

I decided to go to the Heritage Museum in Conroe before it rained in the afternoon. The directions said that it was on TX 105 at I-45. Bob asked about taking the road of TX105 that had an I-45 direction sign on it, so I said OK. That took us north of Conroe.

We drove down the west access road toward Conroe - we didn't know which direction the museum was. After driving around about a half an hour, I finally called the museum on the phone. They asked if I knew where the Steak and Ale was, and I said no, I'd never been able to find it. She explained that the museum was on the east access road beside I-45.

We got to the museum and looked at the outside exhibits first. This included the Joe Roustabout statue (top) to the man who found oil in this area. Outside there is also a printing press, an old time gas station, a plow, a tobacco trough, a tractor and a little train. There were 2 or 3 HVAC trucks parked all over the sidewalks and lawn, so we went in the handicapped door which was the back. They were surprised to see us come in that way - they said their heater had given up the ghost and it was really cold so they had to have the repair people (It was about 50 deg F). Bob said to me afterwards that there was no reason they could not have parked in the parking lot like normal people.

The museum is free. The docent gave us a tour and explained the Conroe area history. They had a copy of the original design for the Texas state flag - the designer lived in Montgomery. Bob gave the museum $2 in the contribution jar. One of the things I thought was interesting was that there was an embargo on Cuban products (like cigars) back in those days, and Willis could produce very good tobacco - that explained the tobacco exhibit outside.

After the museum, I decided we might as well eat lunch at the Steak and Ale now that we knew where it was. Bob had meat loaf and carrots ($7.99) and I had a burger with cheddar ($6.00). Bob remarked that we might as well not have dinner now, that this was sufficient, and that was my idea too.

My original thought had been to go to the museum in Montgomery (and this is Montgomery TX and not in Alabama), but it closed at 3 and by now it was 2:30. So I thought we might go to the cheese factory anyway. I had looked the address up on the computer but I didn't have the computer with me. We drove out through Cut N Shoot (with all the Flea Market places) and just didn't find it.

There was a train racing along beside us on the way back. We came up to it and passed it in Cut-N-Shoot, and then we had to stop at a light, and it passed us again. The same thing happens another time until the train turns off.

Next: Back to the condo unit

Comments