Hotel Palomar Dallas - A Kimpton Hotel

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Palomar Dallas - A Kimpton Hotel

Awesome Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member clf626

This was the most enjoyable hotel experience we have ever had. Everyone was so friendly.

The hotel facilities are exactly as shown on the website. It is beautiful, luxurious and modern. Our bed was extremely comfortable. The room was gorgeous. Room service was awesome and they called every time to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. The entire staff went the second mile. Our puppy 'Duke' had a blast with all of the attention and love he received from everyone

We had the privilege of meeting two of the concierges - Karena Rosillo and Anne Young.

Karena straightened out the reservations that I mistakenly made at the wrong location. Next, she set up our anniversary dinner reservations at ‘Trader Vic's’, then she got a limo to take us the ballgame. She managed to get our massages scheduled together and had our room set up with fruit and wine.

Anne arranged for someone to dog sit our puppy Duke while we went to the ballgame, made dinner reservations for us and took care of every detail over and above anything we expected.

We will brag to everyone about this hotel. Whenever we are in town, we will definitely stay here again.

Thanks again Hotel Palomar in Dallas for a most extraordinary and pleasant experience.

All in all, a nice place

by TripAdvisor Member amieckow

My husband and I recently returned from a one-night stay at the Hotel Palomar. We decided to book this hotel due to its high ranking on tripadvisor and somewhat reasonable price. The hotel is absolutely beautiful but, as others have pointed out, the entrance is very poorly marked. Upon our arrival, our room was not ready, but the front desk person offered to call my cell phone as soon as it was ready (he said it would be about 20-30 mins and it was more like 45-50, but at least he called!). We walked across the street to Mockingbird Station to try and pass the time. There are only a few stores there, and a couple of restaurants, so I wouldn't plan on spending much time there at all!

Once we checked in, we went up to our room - we had requested a high room, away from the elevator, and that is exactly what we received. The rooms are quite nice and the HDTV is a nice touch. However, the doors don't fully shut, so you need to make sure to pull it closed whenever you are leaving. Also, the bathroom only has a pocket door and it doesn't close fully, either. The gym, while adequate, is nothing special. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant (we ate at Trader Vic's...What a mistake!), but we did spend some time at the bar there. The drinks are good, though pricey (as expected) and the bartenders were friendly and quick. Constantly having to use the valet parking was a bit annoying, but I had read those reviews prior to our arrival, so were at least prepared for that...What we weren't prepared for, however, was the excessively long wait to get our car (even when we were the only ones waiting!) - apparently, not all of their valets can drive standards. We found that to be a little interesting. Monday morning (Memorial Day), we received a letter under our door saying that the hotel restaurant would be closed for the holiday, but there would be a complimentary brunch until ten in the lobby. We got down there around 9:30 and they had no coffee, no hot water for tea, no plates...Just a serving tray with a few random fruit pieces on it. That was a little disappointing, but I guess it was more popular than they anticipated.

All in all, the hotel is nice, though a little pricey for what you get. The majority of the problems seem to be related to inexperience, so I would guess that they will continue to improve.

Major Disapointment

by TripAdvisor Member travel092

My girlfriend and I took our eleven year old daughters to Dallas for a "shopping weekend." We normally stay at the Four Seasons in Las Colinas but opted to try this new "Hot List" hotel, according to Conde Nast Traveler. The location was very convenient to all of the major shopping centers. What was very inconvenient was the lack of service.

We booked a suite. The living area was bare, I enjoy and appreciate modern decor but this needed some art or something of that nature. The bedroom area was decorated nicely. Everytime we sat on the end of the bed, the mattress separated from the headboard and flipped up. We had to request toilet paper twice and they delivered one roll. We had to request extra towels and washcloths daily (they were aware there was four of us staying in the room). The bathroom was poorly executed. One of the cabinet door hinges was gone so it was barely hanging on. Had a nasty shower curtain, who even sees shower curtains in this type of hotel? I would at least expect a glass door. The bathroom was cheaply put together. Lighting was terrible.

The room service was 50/50. The first night we ordered, everything was just as ordered with all of the usual accompaniments. From then on it all went down hill. Needless to say, by the time we got our last meal we had to call and ask for flatware! The girls wanted ice cream for dessert at 10:10 but they wouldn't serve it because they don't serve ice cream after 10:00. Service? We never had all of our dishes removed after calling for them to do so. One morning my girlfriend and I were having a bottle of champagne and the attendant removed the almost full bottle, mind you, they had hardly removed any of the other dirty bare dishes. We didn't realize the mishap for probably 20 minutes or so. Instead of bringing us a new unopened bottle they "found" it in the kitchen and brought it back to us. Made us a little nervous and grossed out to drink.

The pool was disappointing since they did not have bar service. We requested someone from room service come and take our order. Since it was a warm day in May, we wanted a margarita and the girls wanted a non-alcoholic daiquiri. Much to our surprise this establishment doesn't offer any frozen concoctions... not even a margarita on the rocks! Our friendly waiter told us he was previously employed at a luxury hotel in Dallas and was quite surprised with the lack of service the Palomar exhibits. Again, service? How hard is it to blend a drink?

Upon check out, we called and asked for a bellman to meet us in our room at a specified time. We waited and waited. The front desk even called to inform us our limo was waiting and that we needed to depart. We told them a bellman was scheduled to be in our room 20 minutes earlier but hadn't seen sign of him yet. They assured us he was in route to our room. Needless to say, we never saw him and lugged our luggage down ourselves. Not even an apology or "may I help you with your luggage" once the valets and doorman noticed us.

I"m not quite sure the Palomar understands great service. If they ever want to play in the same league as hotels that do, they definitely need to step it up a notch.

Bottom line. If you expect good service and nice amenities, stay at the Four Seasons or Hotel Crescent Court.

Fantastic new change of pace

by TripAdvisor Member mhp6

We were at the Palomar May 31, June 1 and 2nd, and we just loved it! We were travelling part of the time with our children, who declared it the best hotel ever! We booked a suite and an additional double room. Room service was excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed coffee in the "living room" in the mornings and wine there in the evenings. For runners, there is a map and bottled water downstairs each morning (love it!), and they will send a goldfish up to kids at arrival so they have a pet! The hotel is lovely, and the staff fell all over themselves giving us great service. We normally stay at the Mansion, which is wonderful, but this is an excellent change of pace at a good price! We loved it!

Great remodel of old property

by TripAdvisor Member TraveltogetherDallas

This re-modeled property is great. What used to be a run down independent hotel is now a showplace. The rooms and common spaces have been superbly refurbished with a not over the top modern style. My wife and I stayed one night for our anniversary and very much enjoyed ourselves. The bathrooms are nice (although the tub/shower combinations are pretty standard). The TVs are nice flat panel and they actually have HD stations unlike most hotels that have flat screens but just provide standard definition programming.

The bar area is cool, and, although we didn't eat there, I understand the Central 214 Restaurant is very good. They now have a second restaurant open: Trader Vic's.

The one negative is the $18 valet/parking fee which is not optional if you drive to the property. They should just increase the room rate and not charge this...for a property of this quality in a non-downtown setting, I didn't expect this nickel and dime approach.

Cool hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AwesomeHolywoodDonut

The Palomar was great. First, the neighborhood is interesting, with a mix of cool restaurants and bars, established homes, and new sleek condos. The drive into the entrance was easy with efficient, friendly valets. The good design begins in the lobby all the way to your room. Everyone was friendly and smiling that greeted us. This was our first stay and we received a free upgrade to the top-level room, the grand luxury suite. The elevator was clean and quick. We stayed on the top (9th) floor. The room was cool, with a marble entry way (we were warned by the staff to be careful of the step down into the living room). The living a bedroom were big, as was the bathroom. The tub was TOO big, it seemed 3 1/2 feet deep. It looked like a deep hot tub more than a bathtub. Also cool were the tiger stripe robes, two big flat-screen HDTVs, and comfortable bed. The couch is not a sleeper sofa, but ask the staff for a pillow and sheet and a kid or even under 6' tall adult could sleep fine on it. Pool was awesome, with an infinity edge and neat feeling swimming with the residences looming above you. Restaurants were full of friendly staff, also, with well prepared food at high prices. Gym is small, but well appointed with everything you would need. Only probem on our stay was front desk forgot to tell the bellman we needed him. Our car had been pulled up, but it was patiently waiting over 30 minutes for us because of the mistake. Gal at the front desk was very apologetic, which is good enough for me for a non-critical mistake such as that. I only get upset when staffers give me an eye-roll when they mess up. Overall, I was very satisified with our stay and would definitely return. The Palomar is a great bargain compared to the Four Seasons or similar Dallas hotel. More people should check it out.

Beautiful, but not flawless.

by TripAdvisor Member TulsaNoah

I recently stayed at this gorgeous hotel, while in Dallas for a concert. The location is outstanding and the surrounding neighborhoods are ideal for shopping and dining. Our room was well designed and all the fixtures and furniture were top-notch. We did not like the fact we were "forced" to use valet, because there is no self serve parking, and as a result one of the night valet's hit a pole with our brand-new vehicle. We were not told about it and did not notice it until after we had left the hotel, and had to come back to settle the issue. The manager on duty was as professioanl as they come and he is a true gem to the hotel and the Kimpton organization. The second issue we had was with check-in... I am a fequent Kimtpon Hotel guest and never have to wait for a room to be ready, but our room here at the Palomar was not ready until 4:30pm. Additionally we were not offered any sort of compensation for the inconvenience. Even with those 2 issues I'd stay there again without a doubt...in my opinion the best hotel deal in dallas!!

Upscale refurbished hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Splash2nd

Stayed here July 19 to July 24, 2007
We liked this refurbished hotel in a stylish contemporary look. The "living room" in lobby area was unique, with complimentary coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. Lounge was beautiful. Valet people were so attentive and on the spot, that you nearly didn't mind the pricey charge to park your vehicle. A complaint is the $10 fee for a visitor of a hotel guest to park. Our room was #801 and it had terrible air quality from the air conditioning unit. It felt humid and damp, making our clothes feel damp. The pool area was not as pictured on their web site. All the cabana curtains had been removed. I was hoping to make this a regular stay while in Dallas, but they will need to improve the air conditioning quality.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member ProudTexan

The Palomar is very chic. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the restaurant and bar are excellent. I checked out the gym this morning and it is quite nice as well. The location of the hotel is very convenient as well for a number of different reasons. My only gripes about the hotel are that they charge you for internet usage at the business center [$5.95 per 15 minute increment] and the price for parking at the hotel is pretty outrageous --- $18 per day. In the big scheme of things though, those upcharges, which seemed really out of place when considering the rates for this hotel, did not negate my otherwise positive experience.

Great Boutique Hotel!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member stevethetruck

I stayed at the Palomar and was very please and quite impressed! Connie, who set up my stay, was amazing, truly "on the ball"! The staff and door crew were attentive and met our every need. My girlfriend had bought a cake for her Mom's birhtday and the door staff offered to let us keep it in their fridge, right out front, for several hours. The wine tasting was great, because they actually had good wines!! I would go back to the Palomar in a heartbeat. I would reccommend it to anyone traveling to Dallas, especially if they want to be in the Highland Park area.

Comments