Hyatt Place Dallas / Park Central

12411 N Central Expwy, (formerly AmeriSuites), Dallas, Texas, 75243, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Dallas

Dallas ZooDallas Zoo

Guadalupe CathedralGuadalupe Cathedral

downtown dallasdowntown dallas

Second story bedroomSecond story bedroom

Local Vacation in November

by angel1200

So the man person and his brother are taking a vacation in November. I want to take a local vacation and explore the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Local being that I live in Arlington and don't need a hotel. I haven't really seen much of what the DFW metroplex has to offer in the 8 years I've lived here. I'm looking for mostly daytime things as I don't really like driving in unfamiliar places alone late at night. Ideally I'd like things I can "do" and not just things I can see. Six Flags is closed that time of year. Stockyards is a possibility. Might like Botanical Gardens. Considering the Mystery Dinner Theater. Since I live in the area looking for shopping isn't high on my list but I'm open to suggestions. And I'm not much into concerts, opera's or other type shows. I'm also not looking for something that might be overloaded with children like zoo's. Nothing against children but a day at the zoo surrounded by other people's children isn't my idea of fun no matter how great the zoo might be. I've been by the grassy knoll but don't have much interest in seeing more of the JFK tragedy. I'm also not overly religious nor am I big into sports.

I've always been afraid of horses. So I might like to take the opportunity to try and overcome that if there is something available in the area.
I ride a Harley. So a scenic route of the area could be interesting.
I love to cook. I think Central Market has one day cooking classes and that's another type of possibility.
Since it's a vacation I'd also be interested in trying new cuisine and exploring restaurants I maybe haven't heard of or considered before.
I usually love going to festivals. I don't know of any that late in the year though. I've been to Grapefest in Grapevine and the Arts Festival this past summer in Fort Worth I think.
Most of all I want to try to keep things affordable. So no $100 dinners or expensive sports tickets.

by grandmaR

Have you seen the cattle drive sculpture near the Convention Center. There's also a historic graveyard there at Pioneer Plaza.

How about the Old City Park? If they are going at Thanksgiving, I doubt there will be large masses of school children there.

Dallas has a lot of interesting architecture such as the Victorian houses in the Bellhartz and Wilson blocks. A long time ago I went on a city tour which showed us the various buildings such as Fountain Place and City Hall - here's a map

It is interesting to eat a meal in Reunion Tower and watch the scenery go by.

In Irving there are the Mustangs of Los Colinas which has a small museum associated with it, plus there is the people mover which is interesting to ride.

Frisco has a sculpture garden (free) and the original place where the TV show "Dallas" was filmed. And of course there is the other Southfork Ranch.

by DEBBBEDB

Had you thought about going to Denton? Very nice town square, a little museum and some nice places to have lunch.

by ATXtraveler

McKinney also has a nice town square feel to it as well. Since you are local, I would also recommend looking at coming to the 1st Annual Big Texas Meet in Fort Worth on September 27th. More details are in the Meetings and Events section of VT or I created the tiny url to get to it... http://tinyurl.com/5lkutf

by angel1200

Thanks grandmaR! Those kinds of things are great
to know. I think the historic graveyard sounds
intriguing. Plus I know I've heard of Reunion
Tower but forgot about it.

Debbbedb, sounds like Denton might make a nice
day trip.

ATXtraveler, thanks for the invite. My memory
sucks but I'll try to keep it in mind.

by elise_crash

FYI - The restaurant at the top of Reunion Tower has been closed for several months for renovations. It is expected to reopen later this year.

Travel Tips for Dallas

See the city at night with...

by judyaf

See the city at night with it's outlined skyscrappers and visit the 'The West End' for the best food and entertainment in town. Then if you want to get a taste of the old west, drive on over to Ft. Worth to the 'Stockyards', lots of fun. just moved here two years ago and love the people who live here. Just so darned friendly! Drive on out into the countryside and watch for longhorns and buffalo grazing along with the herds of cattle and amongst the horse ranches.

An annual event for me is 6 flags

by Kodi01

6 Flags over Texas is an annual event for me. My company has it's picnic there.

This year was the newest ride "Superman".
It takes you to the top up 325 feet and drops you to the ground. :-)))

And you thought your feet hurt after walking an amusement park all day. :)

Gerald J Ford Stadium

by keeweechic

Named obviously for Gerald J. Ford was a 1966 SMU graduate and a 1969 SMU Law graduate and donated $20 million towards the stadium. There are 32,000 seats in the stadium with the possibility of being expanded from a horse shoe shape to and oval, providing and additional 13,000 more seats. The design of the stadium looked long term so that it would also be able to hold a regulation soccer field in SMU's hope to host an NCAA Soccer Tournament, or if Dallas was successful, possibly matches in the 2012 Olympics. The stadium is home of the SMU Mustangs.

Fort Worth

by keeweechic

Fort Worth is the twin city of Dallas. Fort Worth Stockyards are in the National Historical District and well worth a visit. The livestock industry began to develop here in the 1880s and there were sheep, cattle, hog pens and horse and mule barns. The original barns were burned in 1911 and were replaced with concrete and steel buildings.

You can really feel the old west recaptured all along Exchange Avenue. In 1976 the area was renovated with western-style stores and restaurants and is now one of the most famous and fun historical sites in Texas. There are many activities within this area of 'cowtown'. Fabulous bars/restaurants and great for Texan style souveniers.

More in my Ft Worth Page

Dance away

by yumiyun about Red Jacket

There is enough place in Dallas for nightlife. But my favorite is Red Jacket. Occationally, some SMU students hang out here on the weekend nights as well. The atmosphere is pretty casual and lively. Unlike many other night clubs, Red Jacket is really a place to dance rather than drink. Great crowd.

Comments