2927 Maple Ave., at Wolf St., Dallas, Texas, 75201, United States

Gator's - InsideGator's - Inside

MantlepieceMantlepiece

Stoneleigh Hotel Dallas

by philiph20

Has anyone stayed here?, whats it like, whats the location like?

Thanks

Re: Stoneleigh Hotel Dallas

by mccalpin

Being a resident of the Dallas area, I would not have had much occasion to stay there, but I know where it is and have occasionally had a drink in the Stoneleigh P (a long time Dallas bar across the street).

The neighborhood is in the old part of Dallas just north of downtown. It's between Turtle Creek (a very pretty park along Turtle Creek, of all things) and downtown. Just to the north is Oak Lawn, a neighborhood that became well known in the 70s and 80s as the gays moved in and started renovating. While there are still gay haunts there, many left when the developers started moving in.

Dallas has put a lot of upscale apartment housing in the general area, and I imagine that this is having a positive effect on the nightlife. You are less than a mile from downtown, the American Airlines arena, the West End, Deep Ellum (OK, that may be a couple of miles), Oak Lawn, and a lot of the interesting parts of Dallas (such as we have ;-) ).

I still don't know how much people walk around the neighborhood at night (it used to not be terribly safe), but, to be honest, people in Dallas don't walk much anyway - I think it's against city ordinances in some places ;-).

The Stoneleigh is in a good place for the interesting part of Dallas, as opposed to the white-bread, sterile, business hotels away from downtown. Does that help?

Bill

Re: Stoneleigh Hotel Dallas

by Aye_Caramba

As mentioned, the location is just north of the downtown area. Its right on the edge of trendy "uptown" Dallas, where you'll find all kinds of fun shops and restaurants.
If you don't mind walking a bit, you can make your way over to the Crescent Hotel, which is worth seeing, then up McKinney Avenue, which has boutique stores and trendy restaurants. Depending on how far up McKinney you're willing to go, you could check out the new upscale shopping plaza at the corner of McKinney and Lemmon. At night, the place becomes a playground for the "in-crowd," with gourmet restaurants and trendy bars.
Enjoy!

Re: Re: Stoneleigh Hotel Dallas

by philiph20

Thanks so much for the advice regarding The Stoneleigh, i do prefer old hotels warts and all..lol.

Yours

Philip

Travel Tips for Dallas

Discrimination in America

by lonestar_philomath

Being caucasian, I have never had to deal with discrimination. Unfortunately, discrimination still pervades our society/generation as present generations of colored people whose forefathers have been in America for generations, still claim that the present "white" man must be held accountable for the sins of past "whites". Where in the Bible does GOD make this proclaimation? Didn't Jesus tell his followers to forgive trespasses? Only GOD can decide who can be held accountable for past inequities, and it is surely not the present generations!

There is hope, the youngest generation now entering the work place have been brought up in integrated environments and it is good to report that they do not think like the past generations.

Packing List

by Mighty

I live here, we have a saying, If you don't like the weather in Texas wait 5 minutes. It Varies alot... if you are coming in summer it could be anywhere from very rainy to comfortable to blisteringly hot (literally). Pack sturdy, comfortable clothes like blue jeans and shorts. Boots if you have them and sneakers and T-shirts oh, and at least one jacket or raincoat. In the City it is possible to stay out of the weather if you work at it so bring what you want. If you are coming to shop, be prepared to look good. If you've come to party, this is probably also a good idea... as it is pretty much everywhere else. :) I have a coat. I wear it sometimes, when I'm in Boston and Scotland and other places. When I'm here, I tend to carry it around in my car in case I need it for anything.... a light jacket in the event of a blue norther (big honking wet rain storm whips off th Colorado mountains, hooks left and makes a bee line for North Texas, temp drops about 20 to 30 degrees in a couple of hours) rolls through is probably a lot more practical. Other than that, please remember that most people can still sunburn right through a white t-shirt. LOTS AND LOTS OF SUNSCREEN, and a bottle of water never hurts. I like the stuff that is sunscreen and bug repellent all in one. Never know when the skeeters, or the chiggers are gonna try to get you. And don't even get me started on those freaking fire ants... Do what you feel we have great light. Lots and lots and lots of great, great light. :) Larger tent is better for summer, doesn't get as hot. Other than that use your common sense. It is against the law in Texas to burn ground wood in any state park so bring your own wood or coal. No matter how tempting, always have shoes. Sunshine makes blacktops melt a little and it's repulsive to have to scrape tar off the soles of your feet. Mind you I haven't had to do it for about 20 years, but that's just because I've learned my lesson... and I really like shoes...

Tyler - Home of the Yellow Rose of Texas

by ATXtraveler

Well, I have to admit, I have lived in Texas a long time and have never seen the Tyler Roses in bloom. It seems every time we are going through the area, we have to get there quickly and miss this beautiful display of God's handy work. If you are visiting Dallas in the autumn, and you have a rental car, it may be worth it to trek out to Tyler for the day to catch these beautiful roses in bloom.

Tyler is known as the Rose Capital of the World, and its beautiful flowers are known world wide for their beauty. 2008 marked the 75th anniversary of the Tyler Rose Festival, yet once again, we missed out on seeing this pageantry.

This year's festival was October 16-19th, so if you are planning to be in Dallas around this time every year, consider the trip out to Tyler.

Western Wear Galore

by VeronicaG about Wild Bill's Western Store

We were attracted to the large, custom boot section in Wild Bill's--so many colors and styles! A collection of silver-accented western belts, buckles and western hats caught our eye. Of course, we had to try on the hats!

Manager, Bruce Bean, took his time explaining the proper fit of Western boots--I didn't realize the heel should have some space, while the toe should fit snugly.

Ranch wear, t shirts, jewelry, belt buckles, leather belts and purses and all types of Texas souvenirs are available at Wild Bill's.

UPDATE: Wild Bill's has moved due to the closing of the WAREHOUSE SHOPS, but you can find it in the West End near its old location. The new store is exclusively Wild Bill's with all the Texas sparkle and snap as the previous one. Western wear: boots, buckles, hats!!!!

Other than Sports, there are 3 major areas of...

by Mighty

Deep Ellum is what it is, and it's better than it was. Downtown is nice, Uptown is better, both you can get to from the train. Lower Greenville has become a great place to get robbed I've been avoiding the place. Addison is nice but if you are not traveling with your own car, and a designated driver, it's about as much fun as the hotel lobby.

Most sporting events happen in the burbs, and are a bit of a drive. MOST sporting events are a lot of fun. We like sports, we like to have fun, we like to have a drink or two and get a little silly. It's usually a pretty good mix. All major sporting events will cut you off early enough that you are likely to sober up before leaving. (Ther're good eggs) My advice is this: look sexy and everything will go your way. (Try not to look like your trying to sell it though... ) Off the top of my head I can't think of anyplace in Dallas or DFW metroplex that this rule doesn't generally apply to, from the Girls Rollerderby in Mesquite to the Top of the Globe to Sundance Square to Restaurant Row to the dance halls on 35 and south, pretty much if you look hot, things will go your way.

I wouldn't sacrafice too much function for form during the day though, at least not in the summer. The heat is just too intense.

Comments