Maple Manor Hotel

2616 Maple Avenue, Dallas, Texas, 75201, United States

More about Dallas

Seventeen SeventeenSeventeen Seventeen

Dallas skyline at night - Trinity RiverDallas skyline at night - Trinity River

It's post time!It's post time!

Red River Rivalry WeekendRed River Rivalry Weekend

The truth about Deep Ellum

by Jenna8675309

Hi Folks,

Quick question--what's the deal with Deep Ellum?

I've heard some say it's a great spot to spend a night bar hoppin.

I've heard others say to stay away.

What's the truth?

by mccalpin

1. It was a place for non-mainstream young people (i.e., more the multi-pierced crowd, not the cheerleader crowd).

2. It go so popular that after 2 a.m. after the bars closed, that there would sometime be gangs of people tearing things up.

3. The Dallas police moved in and stopped most of the criminal behavior (i.e., muggings). I don't think safety is a problem anymore for anyone with their wits about them.

4. So, at present, it is still a lively place - and a place with a lot of bars/restaurants within a short walk of each other - but I don't know if it is still the favorite of the pierced set. There are a number of tattoo parlors there along with some places that sell leather goods that I have no idea what they are used for ;-), but I don't know how yuppified the area has become.

Look at http://www.dallasobserver.com/search/locations.php?locationSearch=1&keywords=deep+ellum&x=31&y=11 (the formerly underground newspaper now practically mainstream) for a list of locations in Deep Ellum. We have several times gone to Club Dada, which, on Friday nights, has a band called "Hard Night's Day", an excellent party band that does nothing but Beatles covers...of course, this means a RANGE in age of people there heeheehee

Bill

by maddie8479

Deep Ellum can be an interesting place! As a native Texan, I've been there a few times, mainly to see a friend play in a band there, and I had a lot of fun! I'm more of a 'country' and 'pop' kind of girl and I still had fun! I would say go for it - you'll never know if you don't try it for yourself - you can always leave if you don't like it!

by JessBrez

I love Deep Ellum. It's an artsy district in downtown Dallas that's chock full of music venues and clubs, as well as a few tattoo parlours and oddball restaurants. I disagree with whoever said it's for the "piercing" crowd --the mix of people is extremely diverse, not just one "type" of people there. Basically anyone who likes live music or clubbing. And it's perfectly safe, though if you go wandering too far, you can end up in some uncomfortable neighborhoods. I began going to concerts in Deep Ellum as a young teenager and never once felt threatened.

RE: RE: The truth about Deep Ellum

by mccalpin

JessBezz, if you had read carefully what I wrote, you would have seen that I said that the area "was" frequented by the multi-pierced crowd, but that things had changed over time...indeed, the band I referenced was a Beatles' cover band - hardly the favorite of the pierced set.

Yes, I do agree with you that it is (as I noted) a resonably safe area that attracts lots of different people, and, yes, if you wander too far away from the main action, the neighborhoods become a bit dicey...not to worry - it's obvious where the main action is...and all the police hang out there for that reason ;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for Dallas

Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Day Parade

by ATXtraveler

One day a year, every American is Irish, and in Dallas the place to tip your hat and say Slainte is on Lower Greenville Avenue, on the East side of Dallas. Greenville Avenue is already known for its street full of fun bars and eateries, but once a year, they block off the street, and the St. Patrick's Day spirit comes out in force. The day starts early with a parade, and goes long into the night with plenty of Guinness and green Bud Light flowing. Most of the people who live on adjoining streets will also host smaller gatherings, so people can take a break from the craziness and enjoy the passersby from a safe distance.

I was invited to one such party last time, and enjoyed a decent crawfish boil as we watched people walk on by.

Leave out the snowshoes!

by elise_crash

Although you can probably leave out your snow boots, I would suggest being prepared for almost any other kind of weather (especially in spring)! You can never tell what the weather is going to be like. One day it is a hot, dry, 95 degrees, and the next day is 70 and raining. I would definitely suggest being prepared for the rain. You will almost definitely encounter some!

US Highway 75 in Uptown/North Dallas

by kd_baby

This may be corny, but I really enjoy the drive of Highway 75 between I-635 and 45 (where 45 ends and 75 begins) when it's not congested. This is also known as the University Park/Highland Park/Uptown area.

The only time it's never really congested is on the weekends before 12pm.

Some things bridal

by virtualling about Mary's Bridal & Tux

Business hours:
Mon-Sat, 11am-7pm
Sun: 12pm-4pm

I was in a situation where "desperate for a wedding dress" was an understatement - Don't ask.
The reason I was at Dallas that evening was to have dinner and bubble tea from Bistro B, a Vietnamese restaurant a few doors away from this bridal store. Also, grocery shopping at Hong Kong Market. All within the same vicinity. Whoo hoo.

The dresses at Mary's were mostly Sizes 8 and above.
Choices are just ok for a small store. The decor was a little tad tacky for me but hey, taste is subjective right?
There are also traditional asian attire with wedding accessories, shoes.
Tux rental is available.
I had no luck finding anything I like here.
Life must go on...The bubble tea at Bistro B was awesome.

More Gay Night Spots (this one's for the ladies)

by Carrie27 about Sue Ellen's

Sue Ellen's is the best lesbian bar in town, as well as one of the only lesbian bars in town (remember, this is the deep south). There is drinking and dancing and live music on occasion. Located right next to The Village Station in Oak Lawn. No dress code (though sometimes I know we all wish there were).

Comments