1717 North Akard Street, Dallas, Texas, 75201, United States

Costs 31% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Fairmont Dallas

Fairmont Should Have Its Tail Between Its Legs

by TripAdvisor Member ChgoDiver

I stayed here in September 2006. Although I did not use all of the amenities, I can comment on the ones I did use.

Property: The lobby was one of the nicer features of the hotel. It was light and airy and clean. The conference rooms were nice, but a shade antiquated. The hallways on the upper floors had a vomit inducing red pattern that was worn and outdated. The exterior of the hotel is an embarassment and was one of the larger, fuglier buildings in Dallas. No wonder Fairmont's web site only has a photo of the exterior taken during the night time. Nobody would stay there if they saw the architectural atrocity that is the Dallas Fairmont.

Rooms: The rooms were quite large and clean. The bed was remarkably comfortable. My room was on a high floor so I had a pretty good view (I will withhold my comments on the Dallas skyline). Also there were some nice marble features throughout. Now for the negatives: the phone and the clock radio were old and outdated. Not surprisingly, the speaker phone feature did not properly work. The television was not modern. The furniture was clunky and looked cheap (even if it wasn't. There was no style at all in the room. It looked like the Red Roof Inn's chief designer was called in to decorate. The bathroom was Days Inn small. Although I appreciate the curved shower rod, it simply drew my attention to how small the tub actually was. I would have expected to see the same shower head and toilet at a hostel in a Soviet Communist Bloc nation.

Service: Check in and check out was prompt and the staff courteous. Housekeeping was fine, but no turn down service. Although I had no real problems with the service, the extra mile service I would have expected to see at a four star hotel was not present. The service I did receive was no different than a Holiday Inn Express. Sometimes, it just takes a few "welcome backs" or a "Can I help you with anything" to separate a property from the pack.

This property is merely a Marriott and Sheraton disguised as a Fairmont, along with Fairmont's rates. It was suitable and clean to say the most, but if you are looking for value, this is not the place. Fairmont really should consider starting over in Dallas.

Note: Just because you don't like my review, doesn't mean that it is Not Helpful.

Not what they advertised it to be

by TripAdvisor Member samuelroxie

This hotel didn't live up to what they advertised. The room had a funny smell to it, the elevators are loud, housekeeping was very rude, and the check in/check out took longer than normal. We paid to use the high speed internet but it kept going out on us.
I will never ever stay at this place again.

Luxury, location and value all in one.

by TripAdvisor Member DRace

We booked a room at the Fairmont due to the location of the function we were attending and the rate available on the website. For once, I was glad I did not read the recent Travelocity reviews because I might have missed this outstanding experience. From the spacious and luxurious suite for an outstanding weekend rate to the complimentary New York Times delivered to our door, this was a remakable experience in a market currently saturated with luxury hotel options. I do not know where those writing the recent reviews stayed, but there was nothing lacking in our stay. Everyone was exceptionally friendly, the room outstanding, the location fabulous and the value truly amazing. We are returning to Dallas in the near future and have already booked our return visit. We had absolutely no complaints and would encourage anyone visiting Dallas in the future to give the Fairmont a try.

Nice hotel, no atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member Pete1969

The hotel was excellent and the rooms were nice and clean and modern. The only fault about the room was the view which, was not very attractive.

Overall, the main plus point for this hotel is its location as it is within walking distance of the main sights of Dallas as well as lots of restaurants.

The Kennedy 6th floor museum is a must and if you were into 'Dallas' the TV series then a trip to Southfork will set you back about £60 for 2 people.

Love the Fairmont!

by TripAdvisor Member Kris0173

I stay at the Fairmont when I travel to my company's corporate office for meetings or training. It is a beautiful hotel! The rooms and bathrooms are really big and clean, and they give you a fluffy white bathrobe to use. The room service is great and not too expensive. The staff is always very professional, helpful, and friendly. They have a nice workout room with newer cardio equipment and weights. It's close to a lot of restaurants. The entire appearance of the interior of the hotel is impressive--it looks very new and classy. It really is worth the money to stay here. I always feel safe when I travel here by myself, and it feels like I'm staying in a luxury hotel without an outrageous price.

Good for Business Travel

by TripAdvisor Member girlluxe

The Fairmont has very good business amenities for the business traveler. Room service and catering service were excellent and the food was good quality. The room was ready early in advance of check-in. All staff I encountered were helpful. Room was a good size, including bathroom.

Nice business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Art918

This is a nice business or convention hotel, good location, nice property. Stayed here 2 nites in March 2007, pleasant service, good food, drinks in bar a bit small but fairly priced.

Just okay for such a prestigious hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KearneyTraveler

I expected more from the Fairmont. The lobby was beautiful. My room was okay in size, but smelled strongly of age and smoke (and the hotel is all non-smoking!). The shower head was mounted very low and the light did not work in my shower so it was very dark.

The staff was all over the board - some very nice, some very snooty and rude. I had a very overpriced and small drink at the lobby bar.

I am glad I was at the hotel for a corporate event, because I would have been disappointed if I had spent my own money to stay here. Dallas has better luxury hotels than this.

Disappointing, Overpriced, and Annoying!

by TripAdvisor Member JacksonGuy

Stayed here for business meeting in April, 2007. Nice, but several annoying problems:

1) No internet service. They advertise themselves as a business traveler resort, but come on, no in room service?

2) They have wireless in the lobby and business center, but CHARGE $13.95 to log on WITH YOUR OWN COMPUTER! What a rip off!

3) The shower heads are those super cheap diffusion heads that reduce your shower to a fine mist. This is purely a cheapskate approach to saving money on the water bill, but since you cannot get the water hot as it disappates into the silly cold mist, you end up using more water and more electricity. Another big rip off.

The Fairmont is nice, but way overpriced - especially with these glaring issues. Charging me to use my own lap top is excuse to never return.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member libertyproject

Room was great, bed was awesome, location perfect for walking around town, and the coffee is the best ever!!

Service is fantastic as well. Five star stay!!

Comments