The Heritage Inns/BB
815 North Locust Street, Denton, Texas, 76201, United States
More about Denton
Enjoying some soup at art six!
Map of the grave locations
Sign about the old Alton Bridge
Travel Tips for Denton
Texas Confederate Soldiers Monument
The Texas Confederate Statue located in downtown Denton was erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and The Texas United Confederate Veterans in 1918. It has served as a reminder of the soldiers that served in the War between the States from 1861 to 1865, and caused many casualties over the years between members of the United States. Texas was a confederate state during this time, and most Texans fought for the Confederacy.
Recently this statue has been a cause of controversy as members of the NAACP and students from the University of North Texas challenged the need for this statue to be located in the Denton County Courthouse's building. The statue is a part of Texas history, and will not be taken down anytime soon, as if the statue were to be displaced, there would be a $1000 per day fine imposed by the State of Texas until it was put back in place.
The field was named in honour of Theron J. Fouts, who was a coach of all sports at the university and who initiated track and field as a varsity sport at UNT. It was this program that gained the first national recognition for the university in athletics. The teams won national honours in football, basketball, golf and track and field.
The Lake is on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River and spans more than 23,000 acres. With the lakes depth there is plenty of opportunity for all kinds of water sports. There are nature trails around the 233 miles of shoreline and great fishing opportunities. Fish caught here include large-mouth bass, crappie, catfish, white bass and white stripped bass.
The University Gardens
Right around the Little Chapel are the gardens which were designed to display a diverse collection of plants from Texas and other areas. First established in the 1930's as a laboratory for biology students as well as a recreational area for all garden lovers, the gardens were neglected during World War II. During the late 1970's the area was restored.