7815 N. Mesa, I-10 North Exit 11, El Paso, Texas, 79932, United States
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

More about El Paso

Downtown El Paso, TexasDowntown El Paso, Texas

Got wrong address for the Holocaust Museum,El PasoGot wrong address for the Holocaust Museum,El Paso

Convention and Performing Arts CenterConvention and Performing Arts Center

El Paso Steam LocomotiveEl Paso Steam Locomotive

Best Area to Stay the Night

by fancydancer

Hi All,
A friend and I will be stopping over in El Paso for a night and I'm just trying to figure out the best area to stay in. I was either looking for hotels south of the 10 freeway around Texas Ave. and Stanton St. or near the Mesa and Robinson/ Cincinnati intersection. Ideally I'd like to be around good nightlife (not dance clubs but some good cheap bars) within walking distance. And safe areas definitely. Thanks!

Re: Best Area to Stay the Night

by bocmaxima

El Paso's college bar scene is centered around Mesa at Cincinnati. However, there aren't really any decent hotels around there. I usually stay in the Sunland Park Mall area when I'm in EP, but there's absolutely no nightlife around there.
Oh, and don't stay south of I-10 east of UTEP.

Travel Tips for El Paso

Paying the gate keeper

by caffeine_induced78

It's something to do, and for us travellers it's a temptation that we must give into. We have to cross that border - even it's just for a few hours.

You will be a one in a hundred situation. The majority are hispanics going to El Paso or Juarez to go shopping or visit relatives. Some are on the way to futher reaches of Mexico or the United States. And the Anglo kid who asked me for a quarter while in the line to go back - he was in the army.

I asked him, "are you on leave?"

"No."

It's probably best not to ask him if he's AWOL.

The pedestrian toll is 35 cents if you are crossing the bridge into Mexico or the rough equivalant in Mexico New Pesos.

The pedestrian toll is 25 cents if you are crossing the bridge into the United States. Also taking the rough equivalant in Mexican New Pesos. Finding the old coin operated bucking bronco in the alley.

El Paso Tip

by 10eke

When I look back at the time we lived in El Paso, the fondest memories of our stay are the Viva Apartments. Every evening we had the most beautiful sunsets over the Franklin Mountains. I loved our swimming pool, the mailman who brought the letters that our family and friends wrote to us (we received about 1000 letters in one year), the huge pizza’s and Burgerking. (At that time we did not have a MC D or Pizzahut in Belgium!) When I think back of El Paso, I have memories of the desert in bloom, the lightning, 4th of July, I never saw that many fireworks...
It rained once that year, this caused a flood because the drains couldn't handle a downpour like that.
Sometimes we had crickets in our apartment, causing sleepless nights.
I loved watching the humming birds, our big Lincoln Continental, TV shows, we had so many channels. But most of all, were we glad there was air-conditioning :-))

Please check out my fondest memory travelogue

What a View!

by Fewf

If you go up Mesa St (up meaning up the hill and away from the border) until you hit the corner of the UT campus, you'll see an intersection with Rim Road. Take a right. As you follow the road, look to your right, and you'll catch a really good view of the city, the river, and Mexico beyond. When Rim Road eventually ends, take a right and you'll be on Scenic Dr (that's actually what it's called). As you follow that road along Mt. Franklin, you'll get a whole bunch more nice views. At the best point, there's a scenic overlook where you can park and use the 50-cent binoculars (or bring your own and use them for free). The overlook also has a bunch of plaques pointing out where you can see what and telling you about the history of El Paso.

If you think of Texas, you...

by craftsman

If you think of Texas, you think of beef. However, if you think of El Paso, you have to think of Mexican as well. So I have two restaurants - a steak house and a Mexican restaurant.

The Cattle Baron is a nice mid-market steak house. And Marie's Pastries & Bake is a small Mexican Restaurant.
The Cattle Baron is relatively inexpensive for what you get (compared with like restaurants in the US). They have an warm atmosphere which is similar to an old west cattle baron's house.

Marie's is a low cost fair who regularly has soliders from Fort Bliss eating their for lunch so arrive early. There's not much I can say about the atmosphere as you're not paying for it - just the food. The Cattle Baron (as the name implies) does beef and they do beef well. However, they also have a massive salad bar and the selection was impressive. You can't go wrong with any of their entries because they all include either a Ceaser salad or the salad bar. Their salad bar has everything from stawberries and cream to fresh peppers.

As for Marie's, you'll find real Mexican food on the menu - nothing like Taco Bell. I had their $4 lunch special which includes a little of everything and its all you can eat. Just watch that green salsa - its HOT!

crossing the border

by jeeyberg

This is the number one reason for visiting El Paso, going from a land of ostentatious wealth to a land of less obvious wealth. Walking across the bridge, after paying a small toll, stop at the actual border, where both flags fly.
Look down and read the commentary painted on the cemented banks of the Rio Grande (aka Rio Bravo). Going over may not take long, but the return is often long due to the huge numbers going through customs. Under no circumstance bring a gun/bullets/etc. Napoleonic Law rules Mexico, and you'll go to jail first if caught with those items.

Comments