Old Schoolhouse Bed and Breakfast

Inside my RoomInside my Room

Outside my RoomOutside my Room

Stone Village Tourist CampStone Village Tourist Camp

Travel Tips for Fort Davis

In this little town, the...

by KenMore

In this little town, the Constable still parks in front of the elementary school to ensure the children safely get across the highway and the Postmaster and bank tellers know almost everyone by their first name.

The Sheriff lets us carry off a 4th of July 'Bank Robbery' (by Cowboys on horseback) every year. The 'Cowboys' are always apprehended and our 'crime rate' returns to the lowest in the country.

You'll see folks riding horseback on our streets unperturbed by low traffic and you'll hear spurs jingle in our restaurants and stores.

What we hear most from visitors is a variation of 'What a wonderful secret you all have here....the weather is so nice and the pace is so relaxing...we'll be back'.

Every time we drive, walk, ride or bike one mile out of town, we are struck by the great, peaceful expanses of Texas ranchland, prairie, canyons and mountains all around our home.

No freeways, tv towers or mega malls to scar the view. Two miles out of town, you feel like a time warp has sent you back to the days of yesteryear....wide open, unpopulated spaces, cattle, deer, antelope and just like the old days 'the skies are not cloudy all day'!As a bonus, it's often cooler in the Davis Mountains than anywhere else in Texas. Our elevation of 5050 feet makes Fort Davis the highest town in the state.

Packing List

by KenMore

The climate here is very dry (it's actually on the edge of the Chihuahuan Desert). There are four seasons but each are mild. The summers are the best. Since Fort Davis is in the mountains (elevation is at almost 1 mile) it stays very cool. Even when the temperature gets up to 90F, it will be 10 degrees cooler in the shade. So for packing: Bring sunscreen in summer and a hat to shade from the sun. You might need an umbrella in August. Bring a warm coat for the winter and a light jacket for the fall and spring. It gets chilly at night even in the summer.

My Dad. He's a blacksmith and...

by KenMore

My Dad. He's a blacksmith and he builds wagons. He also plays the fiddle, guitar, and sings. And he does a little chuckwagon cooking too. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Stop by and see his shop. He's an all around interesting fellow. Here's his website: http://www.texcowboy.com/

A short life´s fort.

by Gatopardo

Near a green field located north of Alpine, TX a fort stands still.
With a short life, the ruins of this adobe group of buildings, can offer some information about the issues of Texas on their attempts for transportation and safety of their new inhabitants.

Quickly becoming the New Santa Fe

by gregfife

"its a small town"

For years, the town stayed the same size and even the names stayed the same. It was the same families who have lived there for generations. Working hard at raising cattle or scraping out a living at whatever jobs cme along. The families recycled the names of grandparents and such, so not even the first names changed.

Now, the 'others' have found it. The weather is great, the traffic is nothing, so all the retiring baby boomers are moving in. They hate the smell of cows and horses, they are disgusted by the stock trailers left parked on the road, they want the same plants and trees they left behind in Houston and Dallas, and they want the same services as they got in those urban swamps.

It used to be either Stone Village motel or Indian Lodge if you wanted a room. Now, the Limpia Hotel has aquired homes all over town, so you can get a room there or a home to stay at. The competition is big now, Harvard Hotel, Harvard Lodge, the Veranda, and about 2 dozen other lodges. Most of that is thanks to the Prudes. They expanded on their guest ranch and summer camp. That popularity brought in the tourists.

Comments