Days Inn Suites Fredericksburg

side entrance to Altdorfside entrance to Altdorf

Travel Tips for Fredericksburg

CRUISIN' MAIN STREET

by Rich62

DRIVE DOWN MAIN STREET AND CHECK OUT THE TEXAS LIMESTONE BUILDINGS. THIS IS AN HISTORIC DISTRICT FOR GOOD REASON. EACH BUILDING is unique and has its own special character. CRUISIN' MAIN STREET AND PICKING OUT INTERESTING SHOPS TO STOP AND BROWSE.

The Pedernales River

by VeronicaG

The Pedernales River made itself evident as we toured The LBJ National Historic Park and it followed along the route we took on the shuttle bus.

It flows from "deep springs in the southeastern corner of Kimble County toward the northeast for 106 miles and crosses Gillespie, Blanco and Hays counties to its mouth on Lake Travis".

The Pedernales River Valley has been habitated by Paleo-Indians for at least 12,000 years. Archaeological evidence seems to indicate this from the discovery of projectile points (arrowheads). In the early 1700's, the Spanish moved into Texas in search of a suitable site for a mission. They named the river Pedernales, meaning River of Flint, because of the number of flint rocks strewn near the riverbed.

The Pedernales River Valley is a perfect location for growing peaches and vineyards.

*For more information see "History of the Perdenales River Valley by Ira Kennedy on www.pedernalesrivervalley.com/texashillcountryhistory.htm

Wine Bar and Biergarten with Snacks

by msbrandysue about Wildseed Farms Wine Bar and Bluebonnet Biergarten

I chose to see Wildseed Farms for three reasons: 1) It's a huge area that you see if you come to Fredericksburg from the East on 290. 2) There was a pamphlet for it at our hotel. 3) I saw the website on the Fredericksburg visitors site.

Since my aunt and I went at wildflower season we were so excited to see bluebonnets because the area didn't have much of them around in other places. However, the wildflower farm couldn't grow many themselves. (I'm sorry but isn't that their job?)

There were plenty of people around when we arrived in the afternoon. After a hike from the parking lot we explored the indoor stores. I looked for some souvenirs but couldn't find many. Ok, I couldn't find anything...and for ME, that's a big surprise. They have some patio things that I would have liked but the prices were quite high and I knew I could have found them for cheaper in my less-touristy town. One seperate store had a fun squirrel-free birdfeeder but it was like $80! (Yea...)

After doing some shopping we went into the eating area and got some chips and bbq sandwiches. In this area there are jellied goods, a wine bar, and a snack bar. The snack bar offers a few sandwich choices (changes daily), sodas, beer and chips. They charged a quarter for their refills on soda. (That's so unnecessay and just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths...no pun.) After eating and shopping in the food section my aunt did some wine tasting but I wasn't in the mood.

We then went outside in this pavillion area where a band was playing but not too much else was going on. There weren't as many people as I thought there would be sitting out on a late afternoon but they were probably down the road on Main Street in the biergartens...

My aunt and I chose not to pay $8 to go into the tent, I mean...butterfly garden. We hadn't seen any at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center so we didn't think to pay more money to see nothin. So we decided to walk out and see the flowers. The area is in the middle of some really flat land so the breeze was really picking up and we were getting pretty cold. (Bring a jacket!)

There was a walking area of red flowers and some bluebonnets that kids were screaming and running around in so we stayed clear. However, kids would probably have fun there. After we took a few pictures we went back to the Main St Fredericksburg and did some shopping.

Wildseed Farms isn't a bad experience...the pieces just didn't add up for our trip.

Favorite Part: Open Everyday...can't beat that...9:30am-6:00pm Probably the wine.....

For A Taste of the Old Country

by VeronicaG about Fredericksburg Bakery

One thing we discovered on our travels through Texas, is that when visiting a town with a German heritage NEVER pass up a bakery whose roots stem from this influence.

German bakeries are fabulous! Fredericksburg has several such bakeries, but we happened to drop by Fredericksburg Bakery. We edged our way past patron filled tables to reach the glass pastry case from which sumptuous treats called, "TRY US!"

The memory of my last Sweet German pretzel returned to taunt my tastebuds and I quickly scanned the selections to find another one. Yes--I ordered one for me and Jim, then we found a bench from which to enjoy our treat. Ymmm, flakey and meltingly delicious in our mouths!

This particular bakery served sandwiches, also. A tempting assortment of chocolate confections and cookies beckoned from another glass case (picture #2). We held firm and finished our sweet pretzels...which were wonderful to the last bite!

Spend a morning at Wildseed Farms

by 807Wheaton

This is a great place to spend a morning or a day! Inside the magnificent barn you will find seeds of all kinds and lots of gardening things. Wander outside to the gardens to see beautiful foxglove, roses, and other garden plants.
Pioneer flour had a chuckwagon set up with biscuits being made with Pioneer Flour, which is made in San Antonio. They also had local jellies to sample with the biscuits. We could smell the mesquite wood burning under the Dutch ovens, cooking the biscuits and bubbling coffee, which was also offered with the biscuit snack.
This is not a place to hurry. They have a gourmet shop with wonderful dips and chips but they also have a small sandwich shop. For $5 we had a huge chicken salad sandwich, a bag of chips and a large Coke. We split all of this.
We also visited the Butterfly Garden while we were there.

Comments