Commodore On The Beach

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Commodore On The Beach

Great location!

We stayed at the Commodore for two nights the week before Easter and we had a great time. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the view of the Gulf is great! This is an older hotel, but has been kept in good shape. Located close to beach activities and restaurants. We will stay here again.

a honest report

If you want an honest report about this hotel, here it is i would not recommened this hotel to a rat, roach, dog, nor cat... this was the most unclean hotel i have ever been to. The area around it was a slum and the bathroom was made for a midgit... i really mean a midgit the toilet is only about 2in off the ground and if you wear a male size 10 or more shoe your feet will be to big to fit in the shower. i really would suggest that you find another place to stay.

One Night Stay Only!

by TripAdvisor Member tleray

I used trip advisor as a source for picking out a hotel in galveston. I saw that the commodore had good ratings and was looking forward to staying on the water. I was a bit disappointed with the hotel. First, every hotel on the seawall is across the street from the water. I was under the impression that my balcony would look out on the water, not toward the water. The pictures on the commodore website make it seem closer to the water than you actually are. The commodore is an "old" hotel, meaning I can't tell you when I have seen tubs that were midget size. It would be impossible for anyone to take a bath in the tub it was so short! Lastly, the air condition was an older style, you had high, med and low and it ran all night through a wall vent which will irritate people with sensative allergies. We only stayed here one night but for the money you can find a place alot newer and nicer by the water. I wouldn't stay here again.

Not Happy

Was not happy with Commodore. I was quoted a higher room rate than listed on the web site. The
elevator is horrible. Hope it does not stop on you. It is very hot in the elevator and hard to breathe. You might want to stay on the first floor. This hotel used to be very nice but is showing its age. It does need some updates. The staff was nice but they do not all give the same rates. Good Luck. We stayed down the street for the same price in a
newer hotel.

Perfectly Ideal

I think the people who have given bad reviews on the Commodore are those looking for Hotel Galvez type accomodations. So next time, that's where they need to stay if they want supersonic elevators and garden tubs. If you come to Galveston to enjoy the laid back atmosphere and the beach right across the street from a clean, totally acceptable motel, this is definitely the place to stay. I saw plenty of large families and groups there having plenty of fun. There's a light right there, so you don't have to worry about sprinting across the busy intersection. There are really only two or three hotels right on the ocean itself, including the Flagship which is on a pier, but I'm uneasy with that idea. If it's up to date luxury you want, don't stay here, but if you enjoy the character of Galveston's shops, architecture, and people, then staying in a room with a bright blue door and balcony overlooking the gulf is definitely a treat like my week-long stay was. I'll definitely go back.

IF YOU WANT A MOTEL, THIS IS THE PLACE/NO HOTEL!!!!

Well, all I can do is state the facts, this is a motel and not a hotel. You do not have to like Hotel Galvez to NOT want to stay here. It's gross...
La Quinta is right down the street and is much much nicer. We only paid like 9 dollars more.
The Commodore should be remodeled. Of course if you could afford to stay at the Galvez you would, but if your on a budget, you shop around. We were so disappointed with the Commordore. Terrible hotel, I mean MOTEL!

Very neat

I think the Commodore is a very neat hotel. I have been to Galveston many times during my youth. I remember the hotel being there forever. It is nice to stay there and watch the beach and water with sunsets. It is not an upscale hotel that would be built these days but its obvious history makes it a very unique place to stay. It is small because it was built so long ago. It is a great getaway from the normal hotels.

The Commodore is not a luxury hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member txvarney

Make no mistake, The Commodore is what it is: an older, rather dilapidated hotel in need of updating. We were given a supposed non-smoking room which reeked of smoke. The room was also damp feeling and musty smelling. The bathroom was tiny and in need of a deep cleaning (it was clean enough but walls and floor corners need attention). When we inquired about the room having the smoking odor we were told that it was indeed a non-smoking room, and that many of their rooms had been converted from smoking to non-smoking to accomodate guests; I'm assuming from the odor that they did this converting without changing out the carpet and other fabrics and without repainting the room. The elevator was not working when we stayed; it was being "remodeled" so we had to use the stairs. On the upside, this hotel possesses a great view of the beach, has some of the most helpful and friendliest staff you could want, comfortable bed, air conditioning that cooled the room very nicely, offers a discount chit to Gaido's other restaurant (Casey's-excellent food! And within walking of the hotel), and is located next to a stoplight which is extremely convenient for crossing the street to access the beach. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning, and have a nice pool area, which was heated when we stayed in December. I am mixed about going back - I am a clean freak, and also sensitive about cigarette smoke...if they were to remodel this would be one of my first choices in Galveston for accomodations. And many hotels on the Seawall have a damp feeling and are somewhat musty-I'm sure the a/c system needs to be extremely well maintained in order to combat the sea air. Oh, they do offer a few suite type rooms which are located at one end of the hotel - it would be neat to check out one of these.

All lies, false advertisement

We were told that the commondore beach house was next to the pool at the motel. It was 30 blocks from the motel. We were also told we were right on the beach. We had to walk across 2 major highways to reach the beach. This is not feasible when you have children. We paid $400.00 deposit fee, which we lost - plus we had given the hotel $560.00 for the rent, we decided not to stay and had to call the galveston police so we could get our $560.00 back. It was a terrible experience and I my advice to you- Never, Never book anything with the commondore on the beach including their motel or their so callled beach front home. The staff were rude plus they lied to us. The pictures on the internet are fixed to look great. Not so. I am warning you, NEVER use them. Terrible, Terrible Terrible!

We Loved The Commodore

We stayed here for 3 days. Close to everything! Free milk and juice for kids! Great stay!! Convenient location! Thanks Commodore

Yea.....Yea.....

In memory of all those who lost their livesIn memory of all those who lost their lives

Charles Dicken's great grandsonCharles Dicken's great grandson

view of the beach from the pierview of the beach from the pier

Comments