Flagship Hotel Over the Water Galveston

2501 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Texas, 77550, United States

• WBeall's Profile Photo

This hotel is torn down

This hotel was shut down way before Hurricane Ike. It is now a pleasure pier!

Unique Quality: This was a really neat hotel that was on a pier, it is now torn down and it is a pleasure pier that actually opened a few months ago.

• May 1999 Great Deal for Flagship Historic Hotel

Our party consisted of my 17 year-old daughter, 20-year-old niece and me, 41-year-old MWF. We were not there for a five star hotel experience. We were there for ambiance, history and solitude.

Renovation was going on at the time. There was no air-conditioning in lobby or halls. The continual breakfast was coffee and do-nuts. The restaurant closed for renovation. Balcony had some rust and water leak but view was fabulous. Lysol disinfectant spray, which I take to all hotels, took care of any questionable smells or surfaces. Lysol disinfectant spray and a washcloth take care of phone, TV channel changer, doorknobs, etc. I never use hotel comforters, I always remove comforters and store in a corner or closet. Lack of toilet facilities at the pool was a problem. Pool water appeared clear and clean, we did not swim there. Hotel elevator was "an adventure", not scary.

We had a wonderful pleasure trip in Galveston and at the Flagship Hotel. Parking was simple and easy. The hotel room was spacious enough. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The balcony was my favorite place because of being over the water. Feeding seagulls from the balcony was cheap entertainment. Watching the sky, clouds and sun from the balcony was tranquil. Sitting on the balcony chair felt copious while drinking my morning coffee. The TV worked. It was fun to watch jellyfish and other assorted fish, day or night, at the hotel’s fishermen’s pier. It was unproblematic to walk from the hotel to many attractions.

Now I have a five-year-old daughter to share this hotel with but cannot. I am very disappointed. I envision a new era of glamour for the Flagship Hotel. Landry’s, please return this historic hotel into a gem of the Gulf. 3/17/10.

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

A Galveston Original, But Has Fallen Hard!

The Flagship Hotel has been a Galveston landmark since its opening in 1965. It is one of the only hotels in the U.S. that is completely over water, as it resides on a 1,000+ foot pier that extends out into the Gulf Of Mexico. Years ago, the Flagship was big draw for out of town guests, and it's unique presence out over the sea set it apart from rival hoteliers. But in recent years, sadly, the hotel has decayed into a shell of it's former glory. Several changes in ownership and severe mismanagement have given the hotel a huge black eye. As a result, it rarely gets the business that other hotels on the island get. In need of major renovations, rooms are old and musty, wallpaper and paint are in sad shape, and the staff is less than stellar. Typically the prices, which are well over $100, would be an insult to any reasonable person looking for a nice place to stay! And now apparently the present owners have been indicted for fraud after billing the government for assisting Hurricane Katrina and Rita evacuees after it was discovered these were normal guests of the hotel. It's sad to see a place like this go downhill, and hopefully a new owner can come in and restore this former treasure into a worthy place to stay. For now, it's just not worth the hassle!

Unique Quality: A rare hotel that sits entirely over the water, but thats it!

• evalynn's Profile Photo

Hotel over the Gulf

Views are great. but only stay here if ithe temperatures are really hot or really cold. I wouldn't recommend staying here if the temperatures are somewhere inbetween. each room has its own balcony if you would call it that.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Right out over the Waves

Flagship (or USS Flagship as its known) is located on Galveston Island's historic Pleasure Pier. The pier that it sits on stretches 1000 feet out into the Gulf of Mexico. Great views from your own personal balcony.

• SeaJ1877's Profile Photo

The only place I have stayed...

The only place I have stayed when in Galveston has been the Flagship Hotel. It is built out over the water. There's nothing like sitting on your balcony over the water watching the waves and surfers sipping a drink. It is a hot spot for the surfers so there is almost always some to watch. There is also a big swimming pool on a deck in front of the Hotel. The last time I Stayed here was a few years ago and the Hotel itsefl looked a little run down( old carpet etc.)but I have heard it has changed owners and has been updated. Although I still really enjoyed my stay over the water old carpet and all. IF you decide to stay here and make reservations be sure to request a room over the water so you don't end up on the parking lot side over the pavement. Not as much fun although you still get a great view of the ocean.
    Around $150 a night

Unique Quality: Features balconies over the water, a large swimming pool, and a fishing pier.

More about Flagship Hotel Over the Water Galveston

Flagship Hotel

by MEM128 about The poor reviews were right

My husband and I stayed for three nights and four days. He had always wanted to stay there, and despite all the negative "tips" we read about this hotel, we chose to give it a try. The staff and front desk were wonderful. Too bad the room wasn't. It had a very old and stale smelling mattress and carpet. The smell of the mattress made it hard to sleep. We bought some room freshener/spray to help there. We had to ask for a fan because the room temperature remained a "sultry" 78-80 degrees! We appreciated the free breakfast and the awesome view. This place could be heaven with some MAJOR upgrades. I do not recommend this hotel in its present state. We will not return until the owners make some renovations and get some new mattresses. The hotel needs a deep cleaning, too. What a difference some steam cleaning of the carpet and sanitizing of the newer bedding would make, and it would not break the bank. It's a shame that this once awesome hotel has come to get a poor rating. On a scale of one to ten (ten being a fresh-smelling room with good air-conditioning and a comfortable night's sleep) this hotel gets a 2.

Flagship - Great View, Great Value!

My friends and I spent a weekend in Galveston and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Flagship Hotel.

The view from our room was breathtaking, staff was polite and attentive. There are lots of restaurants close by and the walk to the water is so refreshing.

I've heard a lot of negative reviews about the place but we are glad we still went ahead and booked the Flagship. It's fabulous value for the money.

I would recommend staying at this landmark hotel to friends and family.

The Sinking of a Famed Landmark

April 25, 2004 To Whom It May Concern: A visit to Galveston has always been a treat for my family and me. We are native Texans. Born and raised on the gulf coast. We have spent our lives on or near the Texas coastal waters. We are proud of our state and its natural resources especially when related to saltwater. Friday, April 12th, 2004, I wanted to treat my daughters and granddaughter to a Spring Break girls weekend in Galveston. We were all very excited. I chose the Flagship Hotel as our accommodation because it is a Galveston landmark. Its visibility and location make it familiar to anyone traveling the seawall and it is usually seen as a back drop on most news casts aired from Galveston. People see the Flagship and they identify Galveston, Texas. I spent my honeymoon there in July 1972 and many anniversary dinners in the years after in the hotel restaurant. Aware of its age, I still believed we would be staying in a dated, but upscale establishment. What I found upon arrival was a big disappointment. As soon as I entered the lobby and glanced around I had feelings of misgivings. It was unkempt and dirty. Ceiling tiles were discolored and some were gaping. The floors and carpet areas were dirty. The clerks working the desk were friendly, but dressed very casually. Ignoring my first impressions, I took my room key cards and escorted my little family to the elevators. Although we only went to the third floor it was a relief to exit! The elevators were slow and shook and moaned. When I opened the door to our room I sadly knew I had made a big mistake. This place looked nothing like the pictures on the website. The first thing that hit me was the musty smell. The carpets were old, worn and filthy. You could see old food particles and paper around the baseboards and bed frames. The paint on the door or the adjoining room was peeling off in sheets. The curtain rod across the sliding glass door was broken and hanging one foot down on the left side of the wall. The bedclothes were old and worn and there were no washcloths. The bathroom floor was wet and sticky and the ceiling around the top of the shower was beginning to mildew. The door was smudged with streaks of something black and had dirty fingerprints on it. Later when we turned on the television, the cable did not work. And even though the air ran all night it stopped cooling at 11:30 P.M. I had my family up and ready to depart by 7:30 a.m on Saturday morning. We waited 15 minutes for an elevator. When the door finally opened there were two members of the housekeeping staff in the car with their vacuum cleaners and carts. One came out on our floor and the other shut the elevator right in our faces as we were trying to get on! Another 7 minute wait and we got on an elevator going up as did every other waiting guest on each of the next 4 floors. Again the rumbling and shaking began! I had the opportunity to speak to several other guests (as we were all trapped) and each expressed their disappointment over the Flagship. In line to check out, I listened as three other guests complained about their rooms (lack of air conditioning, linens and response from the desk) that prompted me to express my disappointments also. I told the desk clerk (which by the way was dressed less casually) that I knew none of these things were her fault, but I felt she should say something to management and wanted to voice my complaints also. I felt sympathy for her and the other clerk taking all the complaints. However I have not one ounce of sympathy for the owners/management of the Flagship Hotel. Who should change the name of their establishment more aptly to Waste Barge! It is by no means a Flagship of any sort and it is a poor representation for the City of Galveston and the State of Texas. It is my intention to post my letter on as many hotel websites as I can and I will be forwarding it to the Houston Chronicle, Galveston Daily and local news station s reps for consumer s rights. Surely there must be some city and/or state regulations that can hold the Flagship s owners accountable. Hopefully, this once majestic and charming landmark can be re-established to some it s former grandeur.Sincerely, Dorris Keener

No other place like it!!!

We have stayed at the Flagship several times since 1994 and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Other people are entitled to their opinions. It is the most peaceful place I have ever stayed. It's like being in a different world when you sit on the 2nd floor balcony at night and watch the fish at play below. Or to get up early and watch the sun come up over the water, only a picture God could paint. It is the most relaxing place for me. I come home feeling refreshed and at peace with the world. It is best to stay on the east side the view is beautiful in the mornings and you can see the water at night. Try it and if you're not a really pickie person I think you will enjoy it as much as we do.

in 1994,excellent!

I went to Galveston with some friends in 1994 and we stayed at the flagship,it was so aweosme. The room was nice and clean,the pool was sparkling. the view of the gulf was beautiful from our room. You know it has to be an incredible place when you see the then coach of the Dallas Cowboys there--Jimmy Johnson,he was on the elevator with us. I would have reccomended this hotel back then but this was 9 years ago so proceed with caution!

Comments