3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 100% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Hilton Galveston Island Resort

Reality check

Before I wrote this review I considered where I was and what I was paying for. The previous review obviously did not.
When we checked in we realized we had forgotten the card we used to make the reservation. After some convincing we were allowed to check-in. I was impressed with this hotel. Yes, Galveston is not the Can Cun. It smells like you are at the ocean and the beach is not beautiful. That is why we now have computers to research our trips.
Getting back to my experience. If I had a nickle for every employee who was nice to me I could have paid for my trip. Vanessa in the restaurant, the bartenders at the pool, we even made friends with the cleaning staff (our room was next to theirs). The pool had a couple of objects in it, but the pool also had about 20 kids under 15 in it.
My negative was not about the hotel but about one of the restaurants next to it. Landry's was painful! My son is named Landry and I promised him we would go to Landry's while we were there. The food was terrible. My son loves fried shrimp-his tasted like cardboard. Wait staff was slow and arrogant.
Couple of things to do. Duck tour is a must (tell Brittany hi for me). I didn't tell my son about going in the water it was a great surprise for him. Best food oddly enough was at Salsa's a mexican food place.
Well thats it, go to Galveston, stay at the Hilton, and remember where you are, and you will have a great time!

Misleading

The pictures on the website for this hotel are very misleading. I stayed there fourth of July weekend and it was not at all what I was expecting. My boyfriend and I went there to relax and hang out by the pool, we were expecting a resort style pool. However, the pool was much smaller than the pictures on the website and you could see the parking lot from the pool. Honestly, I felt like it was more of a motel pool. The rooms were okay. We could only get a smoking room which smelled terrible. Also, there was a cigarette burn in the comforter. I just give this hotel an average rating. The staff was also kind of negative.

Excellent choice! Don't look anywhere else!

We used this site to review various hotels prior to our family vacation in Galveston. We almost booked a room at another hotel, but they would not accept a reservation using a visa credit card. We decided to wait until we got there to see what hotel looked good in person. When we got there and saw the hotel that we almost got, we thanked God that our reservation had not been accepted. Instead we drove around and when we saw the Hilton, we decided that we would stay there. Sure we could have found something a bit less expensive (Family of four/ocean view/new building-$199.00) but there is no way that we would have had the service or experience that we recieved. The staff were very welcoming, and everyone that we passed smiled and said hello. The rooms were new and clean, and the bed was SO comfortable, that we wondered if they had one for sale in the gift shop. I have never slept on such a more comfortable bed. We enjoyed walking next door to the Rainforest Cafe for some drinks and appetizers, although it was a bit pricey. (Remember, you are on vacation) We ate at Salsa's Mexican restaurant, and Papa's Pizzaria, and they were both wonderful. The prices at those two places were very reasonable for a family. What could have turned out to be a nightmare, turned into quite a nice experience. Make sure you visit Moody Mansion! Too bad they don't rent rooms.

We'll be back!

After reading some of the reviews on this website, I considered cancelling my reservation at the Galveston Hilton. I'm so glad I didn't! We stayed at the Hilton for three nights with two small children. This hotel is immaculately clean, and the staff is attentive and polite--even staff members I passed in the hallways greeted me. The food on site is delicious and reasonably priced, including the items available at poolside. Room service was timely and not significantly more expensive than a restaurant meal.

I would recommend reserving a room in the newer section of the hotel (the tower). These rooms come with an ocean view but no balcony; they're a little more expensive than other rooms, but we noticed that the older section of the hotel was much noisier than the tower. The balconies in the older section of the hotel overlook the pool but have an offset view of the gulf. The Kids' Camp suite, on the first floor, has private access to the pool area and looked like it would be fun for a small family.

All in all, we had a great time at the Hilton and will plan to stay here again when we're in Galveston.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Susan2world

Just got back today from one night at the Hilton. We really liked our breakfast at the restaurant, the pool was clean and really fun for the kids, the pool bartender was very helpful and nice, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

Our only problem was the room was non-smoking and the prior guest had SMOKED. The cleaning people had not treated the room at all, we gagged as we walked into the room. Housekeeping then came up and sprayed which helped some. The linens also all smelled of smoke. I think they will have to steam clean the carpet and the curtains to get the smell out.

Otherwise, nice hotel, renovated in 1996 so still nice looking rooms, lobby, bar, pool, etc.

Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member chaoticport

The location is fantastic, right next to great restaurants and shopping.
The pool was wonderful, the kids loved it. The hotel was clean and beautifully decorated! We ran into one very unfriendly bartender at the pool, but one out of many employees is not bad. She was making a drink that looked very interesting, we asked what the drink was...her response was, "It is a lemon drop, but we are not making any more, they are too hard to make" We asked for chocolate shakes for our kids, she said she was out of some of the ingredients. Later it appeared that the bar was being restocked, my daughter went up and asked if she could make a chocolate shake now...her response was, "I told you, we don't have the ingredients". Again...just one grumpy employee. I would stay there again in a minute. I would run fast if I saw her working the bar! :-)

Nice Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Travelwiz1

We have stayed at the Hilton in October 2004, February 2004 and May 2004. We will go back again in September.
We have stayed in a couple of different places in Galveston, including both LaQuintas, The San Luis Resort and the Wyndham. The Hilton is a nice place to stay, very clean and the staff is very friendly.
On our last stay the front desk could not locate our reservation but after some checking finally did. During all of our stays we were in the new tower section. Rooms are not overly big but are very nicely decorated. They bathroom is very nice, expect for the same old boring shower/tub combo.
The view from the rooms is breathtaking, only the view from the San Luis Resort is nicer because the San Luis has balconies.
Pool is ok, not great and the water is pretty chilly. When we stayed there in October the pool was not heated and the water was freezing cold. Easy access to beach and other attractions.

Great Hotel - Best Pool and Rum Punch on the Island

by TripAdvisor Member TexasTravelers03

We were scheduled to spend this past weekend on South Beach but due to Hurricane Katrina we canceled our trip to Miami and booked a last minute trip to Galveston... We had a wonderful time and the weather was perfect.

As soon as you drive up you are greeted by the Valet staff ($9) but self -parking is free in the back of the hotel but better yet, you can park in the convention center garage as well.

Check in was quick and we were given a room overlooking the pool with a view of the gulf. Ask for a room between 202-208 they have the best views.

We threw on our swimsuits and headed directly to the swim up bar which is perfectly located at the front of the hotel. Adam, the bartender, made us the best RUM PUNCH we've ever had. The pool area is nice and contains a waterfall, jacuzzi, and sauna.

The beach is located across the street which is a two minute walk from the lobby. You can rent chairs and umbrellas and buy shaved ice.

I also recommend eating at Caseys (Gaidio). The food is delicious and reasonably priced.

We do plan on going back and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

ENJOY!!!

Best beds in the world

by TripAdvisor Member jcniii

I have never had a better night's sleep at a hotel. Not only were the beds comfortable, you just didn't want to get out of them in the morning! Bar and restaurant were great and the hotel in general is wonderful for business or vacationeers alike. No complaints at all for this place and would definitely stay here again. Swim up bar at the pool and right across the street from the beach and next to the convention center.

Great Precruise Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BrendaB1

Recently stayed at the Hilton in Galveston to see for myself if this location would be ok for a large bunch of cruise people to stay the night before our upcoming cruise.

Hotel was very nice. Staff was nice & helpful. Room was clean & well kept. I had a partial view of the ocean across the street from my balcony on the 6th floor.

Good location. Located next to Landry's Seafood, RainForest Cafe, International House of Pancakes, just to name a few.

Good club, B Jiggers, with live music located at Holiday Inn on the Beach. Owned by same company as Hilton & San Luis. All within walking distance or their shuttle runs in between the properties.

They offer free shuttle to & from the pier as well as free parking for the duration of your cruise.

I enjoyed my stay & will be staying there again soon along with about 100 of my freinds.

Comments