2024 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, Texas, 77550, United States

Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Booking.com amextravel.com Orbitz.com

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Historic

I stayed at the Galvez about a year ago for a work chirstmas party in Galveston. We got the room on priceline.com for about $100. The room we were in was very nice but you could tell it was a historic hotel. Everything is old fashion BUT it has been re done. The beds are super comfortable and they do have flat screen tvs. My family has history with this hotel which made the stay even better. My parents bedroom was huge and had a living area and a serperate bedroom. Our room was also very large but it was all in one and no living room area.

Unique Quality: They have a very nice large outdoor heated pool with a swim up bar, fitness center, business center, a very nice spa, Complimentary WiFi Internet access, coffee/tea in the room, tvs, phones, safe, work desk, Alarm clock with iPod docking station (came in handy), room service, wake up calls, Gilchrist and Soames bath amenities, and bathrobes!

This hotel is beach front and very close to alot of attractions. Stewart beach is across the street and is a really good/safe beach to play with your kids. They have beach volleyball, playgrounds, and at times a REALLY big blow up water slide.

This is on the East end of the island and it is in a good part of the island. Lots of restaurants and a shuttle service can take you just about anywhere on the island.

Directions: East end of the Seawall

• Still the Queen of the Gulf!

My father, William "Bill" Rahe was the executive chef at this wonderful Hotel in the mid to late 50's.
    Back then all the employee were held to very high standards and I'm pleased to see that seems to remain a constant by reading the reviews.

I highly recommend this Hotel - it may be more expensive than other places to stay, but the location, the service and the hotel itself are more than worth the money.

• 4 stars aren't twinkling very bright!

I checked into the Hotel Galvez about a hour ago, when I pulled up to the hotel it took the bell boy a few minutes to ask for help. After entering the hotel the bell boy left to help someone else(or whatever he did). When I entered the room I thought I entered a cubicle. I went to the lobby to have a drink, I went to go use the lobby restroom and when seat had urine and the other stall had no toilet paper. There is a really good about this hotel and that would be the big open lobby out looking the ocean.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Waterfront Luxury

Overlooking Galveston Bay, the Hotel Galvez is an elegant structure. It was known as the 'Queen of the Gulf'and named after 18th century governor of the Louisiana Territory, Count Bernardo de Galvez.

The hotel has an expansive light-filled lobby offering comfy wicker chairs and cushy upholstered couches, with the dining area and bar located to one side. Planters add a little greenery and piano music creates an soothing atmosphere. (Please see additional photos...)

Many people participating in DICKENS ON THE STRAND were lodged here, so we were treated to a costume parade every day! After reading something about the hotel's history we learned that:

Following the Great Storm of 1900, which destroyed most of Galveston, a group of concerned businessmen met to discuss the need for a luxury hotel in order to replace the void left when the Beach Hotel burned down in 1898.

One million dollars was raised to build the hotel which was completed in 1911 by the architectural firm, Manua and Russell of St. Louis and interior designer, Daniel P. Ritchey. By 1918 the hotel was accommodating more than 400 guests a day. The public areas featured a barber shop, candy shop drug store, soda fountain and Gentlemen's Bar and Grill. Roller chairs lined up in the front of the hotel were available for those wanting to take trips along Seawall Boulevard.

The hotel changed hands several times through the years, once owned by W.L. Moody,Jr. (see Moody Mansion), finally becoming the property of George and Cynthia Mitchall, Galveston preservationists and developers. They proposed an agreement with Wyndham Grand Heritage Hotels to handle the operation of the hotel, but they retain ownership.

Unique Quality: The rooms were nicely appointed and generous in size, beds very comfortable and terrific view of the water if you have a front room.

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Queen of the Gulf

The Hotel Galvez, located along the Galveston Seawall and facing the Gulf of Mexico, has been hosting guests from around the world since it opened in 1911. As an older hotel, it was in need of serious renovations years ago. After Wyndam Hotels purchased the property, an expensive revamping of the entire hotel and property restored its glory, while retaining its old historical feel. The lobby decor is indeed a reminder of hotels past, with its wonderful dark woodworkings, arches, and early 20th century furniture. The rooms are well keep, with fabulous furniture and many ammenities, including television w/ an assortment of pay-per-view movies, high speed internet, and an iron and ironing board. Bathrooms are very clean, with marble counters and hair dryers available. The outdoor pool area is a bit small, but very quant, with a swim up bar, and plenty of lounge chairs for guests to relax in. The pool is also heated, a bonus for the few months of the year that it is cold here. The restaurant is very elegant, serves a great buffet breakfest, and a really good Sunday brunch. And the staff is very helpful and knowledgable about sites and goings-on around the island. The rates tend to be a little on the expensive side, usually around $150/night. But if you are looking for a nice property to stay at while visiting the island, you can't go wrong here.

Unique Quality: I think the most impressive detail about this hotel is how well it has been preserved, as it has that feeling of a hotel straight out of the early 20th century. A very pleasant, well kept hotel.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

The Grand Dame

This hotel oozes with all the grace and charm that is Galveston. Built in 1911 it has set the standard of gracious hospitality and claims to being the grand dame of all island hotels. Right across from the beach and close to the Historic district.

More about Hotel Galvez

Galveston - High End

by keeweechic about The Hotel Galvez

Loved our stay

by TripAdvisor Member tehmann

My family and I loved our stay at the Hotel Galvez. The staff was courteous and fast. The hotel is beautiful and the room was clean and neat. The pool was nice and clean although I wish the pool bar stayed open later. Don't forget to see the picture with ghost!

Motel 8 Galvez

by TripAdvisor Member santonez

My husband, daughter, and I just sepnt the weekend in Galveston and chose the Hotel Galvez for it's historic charm and location on the beach. The photos looked lovely on Expedia. Well, my daughter just learned the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" and boy is this ever true of the Hotel Galvez! When we checked in, the lobby was a flurry of people dressed for weddings. a wedding being set up, and a confluence of other people just in from off the beach and many waiting for the rare elevator. The lobby was nice but not really cozy - the bar is old and intersting but in the midst of the chaos of the lobby, not much of an exclusive place. The dining area looked like something from a movie about life in the 50s in the Poconos. The place could use a major update while still retaining it's old charm. They could actually use to infuse it with more of the unique old charm. The staff were not expecially helpful and seemed perfunctory about their work in every way. We were not able to check in for over an hour as our room was not ready. When we asked if we could be put in another hotel (Tremont) we were informed we would lose our money ($179). They apparently dont' understand what a contract is or how to provide customer service. We arrived at our smelly, dank, small room only to discover that there are no balconies and the windows are sealed shut!! Therefore, no listening to the waves, no smell of ocean breeze, and no way to air out the wet smelling room. If someone brought you up to the room and you opened your eyes you would guess you were in a low-rate roadside motel. Seriously. I have traveled a lot and stayed in all sorts of hotels and I was shocked that this place not only ranked highly (and is a Wyndham) but that it was as pricey as it was. I've stayed in much nicer, cleaner hotels for less than half the price. The day we left, we spent some time at the pool. The water was unbearably cold (like it was chilled to being too cool) and almost no one but kids (who don't care anyway) were in it. But - even the kids complained!! The saunas were cloudy and I wasn't brave enough to get in one. There was someone at the bar but no one to maintain the pool area in that there were towels and people's food containers littered everywhere. I looked at the other reviews on this site and see patterns - dirty pool, poor attitude from staff, no ocean view to speak of (unless you stand on your tippy toes at the window), and need of update. I fogot to mention the bathroom - although one person thought it was elegant I thought it was totally dark (one 40 watt bulb above the sink) and seemed like you were in a tile wardrobe.
Bottom line: this place stinks. Go spend your money at the San Luis or the Hilton and, you may not get the superficial charm of the old hotel but you will have an exceedingly better experience!

Had mixed feelings

We stayed at the Hotel Galvez on July 12-14 and returned with mixed feelings. During our stay there was a convention with many children running around through the halls and pool area. I compalined about being woken the first night by slamming doors and running. The desk said that they would talk to the convention leader. The second and third day was the same atmosphere. The hot tub was filled with noisy boisterous kids and never was a hotel supervisor seen to overlook the problem. My biggest issue is that when I returned to Dallas I e-mailed Wyndam corporate to express my disappointment in the circus type atmosphere and have not heard back. Because of this I would not return. The Hilton looked very nice-will try that hotel next.

Info regarding pool at HG

by TripAdvisor Member txvarney

I am reading quite a few reviews regarding pool usage at HG, and wanted to shed some light on this matter. The pool at the Hotel Galvez is available to not only HG guests, but also to guests who stay at The Tremont House, which hasn't a pool of it's own. I have stayed at The Tremont House and used the HG pool (guests are given an access code and a slip of paper with TH room # on it so that they may have charging privelages at HG). The times I have used the HG pool it was rather crowded, and dirt collects in the corners and bends especially near the swim-up bar area. It is a beautiful pool, and would be superb if it was kept cleaner. I'd like to add that if you are looking for a lovely, upscale hotel check out The Tremont House. It is located in The Strand area, so does not possess a beach view, but offers a whole different way to experience Galveston!

started off good, but ended badly

by TripAdvisor Member cowgirl44

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Galvez for four nights, July 5 thur 8th. The first three nights were good. The hotel is very nice with a beautiful pool. Everything was going good, until the afternoon of the 8th. We went to the pool and three teenage boys entered through the gate, which is only accessible with your hotel key, by pushing their arm through a loose wire panel beside the gate and turning the handle. They were obviously not hotel guests. When they got in the pool, they were wild. I told the bartender at the pool about them, expecting them to be thrown out, but he only talked to them, and they stayed. So we decided to leave. While we were leaving we watched three other teenage boys leaving on bicycles, which were parked on the inside of the gate. They were obviously not hotel guests either.
When we returned to our room, the fire alarm went off while I was taking a shower. We rushed to get our clothes on and ran into the hall where we asked a maintenance man if this was a false alarm, but he didn't speak enough English to answer. He just left through the exit stairs. We decided that there must be a fire, so we ran down six flights of stairs. To make a long story short, the staff at the front desk didn't even know that there had been an alarm. We finally found out that it was a false alarm but we kept getting conflicting stories from the staff and manager about what had happened. We complained to the manager, along with other angry guests, about how badly the situation was handled. This was a really scarry experience, which could have been prevented if there had been better communication between the staff members. I was told by one of the bell hops that when an alarm goes off, it triggers a light behind the front desk and if it is a false alarm then they make an announcement over the intercom. Gee, that would have been nice to know, before I ran down six flights of stairs!

Hotel GalvezHotel Galvez