San Luis Resort, Spa & Conference Center

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Expensive hotel but Very nice

I have stayed in this hotel several times and it is a great hotel if you are wanting a good location but its expensive! It is worth every penny though, you are situated in the middle of the island and it is a easy drive to get just about anywhere on the island from here. You also have the rainforest cafe next door as well as a Ihop and a bus stop. The beach is walking distance where you can rent chairs and umbrellas.

Unique Quality: Very nice rooms, great views, REALLY nice pool and bar in the pool. There is also a slide for kids that end in the pool. Resturant, bar, walking distance to alot of places, free parking, and a store in the lobby.

Directions: On the water!

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

G-Town's Biggest!

The San Luis Hotel, located along the Galveston Seawall, is the island's largest, and most expensive hotel and resort. It frequently hosts many events and conferences on it's sprawling property that overlooks the Gulf of Mexico. The property itself is very well kept and has loads of palm trees, exotic flowers and plants. Directly in front of the hotel is a waterfall that looks lovely at night amongst the numerous lights that illuminate it. The hotel lobby is a little gaudy for my taste; a large fountain is at the entrance, and with its white pillars and columns trimmed in gold, and the gold colored curtains and furniture, its a little too much. The decor seems to be an attempt at a pseudo-French chateau motif, but nice and clean nonetheless. The rooms are very spacious, very clean, and as far as I know most have great views of the Gulf. I do know that the higher floors are more expensive, so I would guess that the better the view, the higher the price tag is! Bathrooms have a nice decor with marble counters. The workout facility is a little on the small side, with a small selection of machines and free weights. But again, very well kept and clean. The pool area is extremely large, with plenty of room for lounging, and even a small water slide for kids. You also have a good view of the Gulf from here as well, as the pool is located in front of the hotel. The staff has always been top rate, very helpful with any recommendations and questions. All and all, a very fresh, well kept hotel, and offers some of the best amenities available on Galveston. It can be quite expensive, but with all that is offered here, it can be well worth it.

Unique Quality: The pool area is great! Huge area, gets great sunlight, at least until the late afternoon, and also offers some excellent views of the Gulf, without even having to go to the beach.

More about San Luis Resort, Spa & Conference Center

Great Hotel, but some disappointments

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the SLR for the 4th of July and overall we had a good time, but some disappointments such as: we paid for a non-smoking room but they were full so we got a stinky smoking room, the swimming pool area is very small for a 244 room hotel. On the positive side, the view at night from the balcony was great; the hotel is very nice and location is very convenient to restaurants. We probably stay again, but not on a holiday.

Nice, except for the drunks at the pool!

The view is nice; the service was pretty good.
We stayed there in early summer & it is not a good place for a family vacation.
The water slide is very rough and skinned my son and myself up pretty bad. Also, my father and my 3 year old son were both present. It was embarassing when people in the pool mentioned words like "-----" and "-------" and "-------". WE tried to ignore them, but they were really in our face, and even said, "this isn't a kid's pool". However, there is only one small pool at this resort. I wouldn't recommend it for families. Moody Gardens or even The Galvez is almost as nice, much cheaper and much better family atmosphere overall.

Be careful renting the condos

by TripAdvisor Member MarianneAletta

Take the warnings of the previous reviews to heart---they are all true. While this is a *nice* hotel, it's not the Ritz Carlton.

We rented a condo because there were no hotel rooms available. I was reluctant to do this but the nice man who answered the reservations line told me that the condos were equally as nice. Not true.

Each condo is individually owned and individually furnished by its owner(s). Our was just okay. The minute we stepped off the elevator we could tell that the condos were a downgrade from the hotel rooms themselves. The cost was $190 for one night and most definitely not worth it. The decor was distinctly 1982 and housekeeping was atrocious. The balcony chairs had buckets of bird droppings on them and we had to ask housekeeping to come and clean them (which they did promptly). There were two bathrooms; one without soap. How do you not have soap in a bathroom? The sheets must have been 50 thread-count as we felt like we were sleeping on sandpaper. In fact, I think I bought those same sheets from Wal-mart in 1991.

As for the drunks at the pool---TRUE TRUE TRUE! While we have absolutely nothing against public (or private) drinking, there are some boundaries to consider. Take, for instance, the woman in her 50's who decided to drop top and expose her chest for all to see. Wow---I think my eyes are still bleeding from that shock. Sadly, there were children not 10 feet away when this occurred. Not to be outdone by the chest flasher, her 40-something friend decided to stand on the side of the pool and shake her cellulite-ridden-behind in the faces of her friends and all other unfortunate victims in the vicinity. Yuck, yuck, yuck. There must have been 10 empty bloody-mary glasses next to these two women, so the bartenders had some level of responsibilty here.

Next stop The Steakhouse. Truly worth every penny. The waiters are unfailingly gracious and the steaks cooked expertly. Be sure to make a reservation as this restaurant is rather small.

The elevators are slow.
The waterslide is fun.

We were able to open our balcony door and hear the ocean. We left it open all night and slept to the sounds of waves crashing. It was great.

Noise all night

Our first trip to Galveston, Tx and we loved it !

Our first stay at San Luis and we were very disappointed !

We loved the amenities & atmostphere, but the unbelieveable noise from guests staying in a suite nextdoor and had little or no concern for anyone else should be addressed by the San Luis staff -

The property is a place of hospitality and lodging accommodations for vacationers and it indicates a "lack" of concern by the hotel staff when they allow unreasonable noise to disrupt another guests sleep or comfort.

To ensure all guests are happy and enjoy their say IS the responsibility of the hotel.

Would love to stay there again - .. but ? from the other comments, I am concerned that noise and unruly guests are just a norm !

Outstanding hotel!!! Incredible!!!!!

We stayed at the San Luis for 5 days and absolutely loved it. The staff and valets greeted us by name everytime we passed. Very cordial and helpful staff. The hotel room, lobby, and grounds were meticulously maintained. We had morning and evening housekeeping service. The view from the balcony was wonderful. The entire experience was very peaceful and luxurious. I enjoyed the pool area and found that there were 3 separate hottubs in addition to the pool. One of the hottubs is under and behind a waterfall. I am VERY critical of hotels and I could find very little to criticize in this hotel. Top to bottom a very nice experience. I would recommend it without hesitation. We will definitely return!!! I did not have any problems with loud guests and if I did I would immediately report it to the front desk and security.

Perfect Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member PattyAtty

I just returned from spending 3 nights (Feb 24-27) with close friends at the San Luis in Galveston. I was a little concerned by previous reviews concerning noise but we had no trouble with that at all. Each and every staff member went out his or her way to be friendly and helpful to us. Our rooms were nice and clean, with a perfect view of the ocean. Also, being the only non-smoker in my group, I expected to have to contend with stale smoke smell in our rooms on the "smoking" floor. In fact, the rooms and the entire floor smelled very fresh! The beds were comfortable. Not one of us was disappointed with our choice. We would gladly go again.

Very Romantic

We went for a little get away and had a wonderful time. Room service was good and we opened the door to the balcony and fed the birds our calamari. HA Ha, it was great food but a ton of it and feeding the birds was so FUN. The hotel room was very quiet. Not ONE problem. Can't wait to go back!

Wonderful,couldnt be any better

My family and I travel to galveston every year. From day one, we've picked the SLR. It is a outstanding hotel. Service is great and the pool was amazing! Were going back in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it. And for all those people who had problems...ur retarted...the rock slide doesnt skin ne one up and if you dont want to hear the air conditioner or seawall....just close the freakin door. The San Louis Resort is EXCELLENT!!

Stay away from the elevators

by TripAdvisor Member pazman

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. It was very nice and comfortable with a great view of the gulf. Unfortunately, we were across from the elevators and the tile floor in the hallway made the noise funnel into our room. Also, the continental breakfast was set up outside our room so all the chattering from the guests and staff made it impossible to sleep in. Make sure you get a room away from the elevators. Great landscaping and pool.

One Nighter

by kingsmen

Going to be in Galveston next week for one night, best location (hotel) to hit the many nightlife spots on the island. Want to be able to walk. Is Galveston more fun than a nighter in Houston???

Re: One Nighter

by ATXtraveler

Galveston really only has one area for tourists, it is called "The Strand". Since it is too cold still to enjoy Stewart Beach, I would stay in the Strand area.

Re: One Nighter

by bocmaxima

Houston would probably be more fun.
There are some bars and hotels along the seawall scattered around the San Luis Resort (Seawall@53rd), but The Strand is basically it and there isn't much to it.
Houston is also spread out for its bar scene though. There are several areas that cater to fairly specific crowds, so it depends on who you are.

Comments