Springhill Suites by Marriott Galveston Island

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 153 reviews
Expedia.com Booking.com

Do not be their next victom

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 23, 2009

My husband works for Marriott, and I did for some time until I took a management position with another chain. We decided after 3 years of work & kids, that we needed to get away for a day or two, and Galveston sounded great. We decided to use his Marriott employee discount and I booked a room online. I called ahead of time to ask about an upgrade, and the woman told me the hotel had plenty of rooms available for that evening, and to ask when we arrived.
So we arrived to check in and we asked for an upgrade, a room with a balcony due to the fact that we smoke. The gentleman named Adriane was more then happy to complimentary upgrade us due to the fact that we wanted to pay cash but he had already authorized my debit card without asking for it. So we were happy and took the keys and our bags to the room.
When we came down a few minutes later to park our car, Adriane followed us outside to say that management was mad that we had the room and that he was going to have to move us. I asked him if I could speak with a manager with the intentions of paying the difference in the prices and staying in our room because we already unpacked.
We waited at the front desk for 15 minutes and the manager refused to come out from behind the wall and speak with me. Adriane came out after that time and said we could stay where we were and they had it all taken care of. Great!! We thought...
After a long night gambling in Lousiana and returning to the hotel at 4:30 am, we were so exhausted. Thats why when a manager called us at 9am to say they had resolved the issue of our room, we were not happy to be woken up for an issue that was not even an issue for us, and that we were led to believe was taken care of the day before.
So we left in a hurry to get home and away from a hotel that's staff cannot communicate with each other.
Upon returning to home and going back to work... my husband was greeted with a written warning and lost his employee card. The operations manager from the Springhill suites had called HR and flat out lied about this incident. They claimed at first I had tried to check in without my husband.... which they have us on camera checking in together. Then they claimed I declaired myself to bethe General Manager of my husbands hotel... ( I happen to be the Assistant General Manager of a Hilton property). They said that I intimidated the agent & staff into giving us the upgrade. Let me tell you this... The only person I saw working there was Adriane. No management, ohhh.. the night person watching tv that did not bother to get up when we arrived back at 4:30 in the morning. I work in the industry because I love to make my guests happy. And I am truelly sorry to all the guest's who have been victomized by Marriott hotels & their employee's. I have heard the General Managers repeatedly say guest's are only out to get something for free when they complain. Now I know how it feels to have a hotel victomize a guest. Do yourself a favor and stay anywhere, even a motel 6 before you ever stay at another Marriott. They are in it for their budget, not for your happiness. My attorney agrees, as now I am begining the long process of a deflamation, lost wages & suffering suit against the private owner of this property.

Unique Quality: Our room was beautiful, a little bit dusty. The pool is so small, not worth your time.

Nearby Springhill Suites by Marriott Galveston Island

• Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Galveston Travel Forum

Need advice about Galveston, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for Galveston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Galveston hotel reviews