Arbor House Bed and Breakfast Inn
530 East Pearl Street, Granbury, Texas, 76048, United States
More about Granbury
Souvenirs and Kid Stuff
Park Your Horse Here, Mam..
Aston-Landers Building(left); "The Fair" (right)
Old Hood County Jail
Travel Tips for Granbury
Acton is a small, out of the way town located near Granbury, that has something to boast of, too--its the oldest settlement in Hood County and it has a connection to Davy Crockett of Alamo fame. (see Acton cemetery tip)
But, first things first. Acton was settled in the 1850's and the *Comanche Peak Post Office was established in 1856. By 1855 a water mill was built along Acton's Walnut Creek, which ground the settlers growing grain crops. Aaron Farris, the mill proprietor, built a still near his water mill but it was dismantled by Mrs. Farris upon the advice of a local preacher--who was also a revenue officer.
Clarence P. Hollis, the town's first merchant, gave the town its name. He was the official postmaster in 1857 and donated 1.43 acres of land for a public square in the 1860's. (from the Walking & Driving Tour of Historic Granbury and Hood County)
*Comanche Peak is a mesa that is 1,129 ft. above sea level that is the area's most recognized landmark formerly used as a base of operations by the Indians, for ceremonies and tribal dances and used as a lookout point. It is now private land.
Pate Museum Exhibits
Amongst many of the exhibits you will also see a complete space capsule along with a cut-a-way mock-up showing the inside of a capsule. The Museum was founded in 1961 and amongst the collection displayed on the grounds, there are also many antique and classic cars inside the main building. One was the Texas Longhorn Car which was handcrafted in San Antonio and took 12 years to build.
Pate Museum of Transport
Hwy 377, Cresson
The Aston-Landers Building
What these walls must have seen! The Aston-Landers building has a front facade of ashlar block and side and rear walls laid in the rubble technique. It has a patented iron threshold and was built in 1893 as a saloon. (In photo: white stone building with striped awning)
A historical plaque near the door states "here there occurred a 1901 duel that badly injured a non-participating horseman on the square". Things quieted down when *Carrie Nation visited the town and soon after voters prohibited liquor. The walking tour guide mentions that on the last night before the saloon closed for good, they took in $100 and sold every drop of liquor in the joint.
This building then became a buggy and harness shop with other businesses following through the years. The Brazos River Trading Post, a gift/antique shop, is now located in this building. The single story shop with red awning and parapet that is adjoining was once known as "The Fair".
**Carrie Nation (1846-1911) was born in Garrard County, Ky.; a militant crusader against illegal saloons; member of the temperance movement.
Schultz Blacksmith Shop
On this site was a blacksmith shop. It was owned by Carl Severin Schultz who was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1867. He moved to the US After marrying Nelsina Vestermann . At one time he owned a soft drink factory. He purchased his blacksmith shop in 1900 and was known for his fine craftsmanship.
A historical marker is placed here to represent the type of business and settler that lived in Granbury at the turn of the century. There are also restrooms here.
Granbury is an excellent little town to visit, full of history and legend and wonderfully restored architecture. It has been billed as the town "Where Texas History Lives". Granbury is the county seat of Hood County. The town was named after Gen. Hiram Bronson Granbury who led Confederate troops from this area into battle during the Civil War. Before the town was formed, this area was virtually a no mans land where a number of Indian tribes lived. In the early years of Granbury there were at least seven saloons on the town square. It was a rough and wild time. When the railway came through Granbury in 1887, this brought about the construction of many buildings which were mostly two story and built of limestone.
The first place to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places was the Square around the courthouse. Since then, many other projects all over American have been modelled on their restoration efforts. There is still an old fashioned drive-in movie theatre which show first run movies over the summer weekends. Many of the wonderful old homes in Granbury are now B & B's making Granbury a popular "get away from it all" destination especially as many of them are set on Lake Granbury. The lake was formed from a dam being built across the Brazos River at De Cordova Bend.
There are many legends and stories about Granbury - of Jesse James, Davy Crockett and John Wilkes Booth. Sightseeing around the Granbury area is also popular with many places just a short drive away.
More in my Travelogues
Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)