Dinosaur Trail Cabins and Cottages
2800 Highway 144 South, Granbury, Texas, 76048, United States
More about Granbury
Merry Heart Sampler
Elvis Lives Here!
Granbury Opera House
Doll House furniture
Do any stores in Granbury have dollhouse furniture? If so, which one(s)?
Re: Doll House furniture
Here are all the stores in the Granbury area. Some of them look like they would have certain things doll house related, but none look like they are dedicated to just this:
Travel Tips for Granbury
Acton Historic Site and Cemetery
To reach Acton, we had to take State Farm road 4 and wind through the countryside a few miles until reaching the cemetery.
It was a beautiful Fall day! We parked, then respectfully walked through the cemetery to Elizabeth Crockett's grave, where a father and his two children were examining the gravesite.
The fenced area surrounding Elizabeth Crockett's grave site has the distinction of being the smallest state park in Texas and is considered a historic site. Atop the monument, a woman has a hand to her brow as her eyes search the horizon...is she looking ahead to the next mile of her journey or hoping to capture the sight of a returning loved one?
The walking tour guide gave us a little more information: Elizabeth Patton Crockett traveled to Acton in 1856 with her son, Robert Patton Crockett and daughter, Elvira, to claim land awarded her for the bravery of her husband, Davy, at the battle of the Alamo.
Robert built a small log cabin on their land on Rucker's Creek, located in the northeast corner of Hood County. Two years later he sold his first home and built another cabin a half-mile further up the creek. This is where Elizabeth Crockett lived until her death in 1860. The cabin was moved to Dallas, but a marker was placed at the original site that is now privately owned land.
The statue at Elizabeth Crockett's gravesite was erected to honor Texas pioneer mothers by the state in 1911. Robert Patton Crockett and his wife, Matilda are also buried in the Acton cemetery.
This cemetery was used by the residents of The Colony which was a community established by former slaves who came to Hood County with their southern white owners in the early 1950's. After emancipation they began to settle in this area and many owned land under a state law. By the end of the Depression era of the 1930's most of the adult residents had left the Colony for nearby towns and many of the younger community members left the area completely although most chose to be returned to the Colony Cemetery for burial. Some of the graves date back to 1876 or earlier. At one time the cemetery was also known as Pleasant Chapel, Mt Zion and Hightower.
The Colony Cemetery is an important record of the history of Hood County especially the African Americans who were born in slavery and who carved out new lives after their liberation which paved the road for freedom for their descendants.
Located between Granbury and Tolar, four miles north of Highway 377 on County Road 103.
The Glenn Brothers' Building
Granbury's historically restored shopping area encircles the Hood County Courthouse. This area draws a number of people each year wanting to have a look at this picturesque town square.
These adjoining shops are located in the Glenn Brother's Building, built in 1885 by James Farr, an attorney. It was eventually bought (1888) by brothers Clark B., Dan, John and James M. Glenn. They owned a grocery store in this building, but were also interested in the political side of things in Granbury, as well as in other businesses. Their store and three others were engulfed in flames in 1891 and had to be repaired. Contractors Elliott & Halsley made extensive repairs and used heavy iron clad timbers to support the brick veneer front of the upper story, adding a touch of Victorian style.
Currently The Downtown Store, Our Place and DeVine Wine are located in this structure.
David L Nutt House
David Lee Nutt came to Texas from Missouri in 1857 and built this two story house in 1879. It was built in a plantation-style with cypress timber brought in by ox car from east Texas. Soon after it was built, it was turned into Hood County's first hotel and humorously named 'The Nutt House' by the family. It became a home again in 1900. David Lee Nutt contributed 40 acres for the original Granbury town site.
Popular Hotels in Granbury