Keeweechic's Grand Prairie
Grand Prairie was originally known as Dechman back in 1863 after a local trader from Birdville Texas, Alexander McRae Dechman. He purchased land on the east side of the Trinity River in 1861 by trading oxen and wagons. He also bought timberland on the west side of the river with $200 in Confederate money, as well as a broken down wagon and oxen team. After returning to Birdville, he joined the Civil War in 1861 and returned there for two years before selling that farm and moving to Houston, then Bryan. In 1863 Dechman filed a town plan in Dechman which consisted of 50 acres within the Dallas County. A post office was opened in 1874 with an incorrect spelling of Deckman. The Post Office couldn't read the writing on the form. In 1877 the T&P Railroad traded with Dechman for half his prairie property in order to bring a railroad into the town.
In 1877 the name of the town changed to Grand Prairie and in 1890 Dechman sold the last of his land and moved to Waxahachie. When he died, he was buried in historic Greenwood Cemetery in Dallas. Grand Prairie was incorporated as a city in 1909.
Today Grand Prairie covers 80 square miles between Dallas and Ft Worth with a population of around 134,000 residents. Some of the attractions in the area are Lone Star Park (racing), Ripleys Believe it or Not, Joe Pool Lake, Trader's Village and McFalls Park which features the Goodwin log cabin which was said to be a hideout of Bonnie and Clyde Parker.
Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks. (c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)