Gaylord Texan

Tags

Spa and Resort Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Family Travel
See Amenities

Not a memorable experience

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 29, 2008

What a memorable night- this all happened on my 40th Birthday...

1. Ama Lur- We arrived at the restaurant at 9:30 pm. When we ordered our main course, I ordered the beef tenderloin. My husband ordered the beef skirt steak. The waitress informed my husband that the beef skirt steak became tough when cooked medium well like he requested. He changed his order to the NY strip steak- cooked medium. When our entrees came out, in a timely fashion, they brought out 2 beef tenderloins. The waitress took back one beef tenderloin and left my entree for me to eat. They assured us that is was a mixup in the kitchen and his would be coming out right away. After a few minutes of waiting, I proceeded to eat my meal and completed it. Ten minutes after I had eaten, they brought out my husbands NY strip. The steak was gray colored and rare temp. He sent it back to finish cooking and the waitress returned with his steak in another 10 minutes. He then proceeded to eat alone while I watched. The wairess came up to us and offered an eight dollar dessert for compensation for the mixup on his 45 dollar steak.

2. When we checked in, I asked the registrator if the hospital used feather pillows. She said they did in all the rooms. I asked her to get housekeeping to remove them from our room and change the sheets on our bed. My husband has a severe allergy to bird feathers and just removing them from the bed is not enough- the dander still seeps out of the pillow onto the sheets- hence, the sheets have to be changed. The registrar asked my why didn't we request this when we made the reservation. I explained to her that when we made the reservation, there was no place online to request this. She said it would take about 20 minutes to accomplish this and to wait in the lobby. I told her that we would bring the luggage up to the room, I would place it in the room, and we would walk around the grounds while we waited. This happened at 5:30 pm. At 7 pm, we went up to the room. The sheets still had not been changed and the pillows had not been replaced. I called the front desk to remind them that this change still needed to be done. They stated they would call housekeeping and it would be taken care of. At 9:15, we went back to our room before dinner and found that the pillows and bed linens still had not been changed. We went to the front desk and spoke to the manager on duty, and explained the situation. He apologized and stated they would take care of it. After dinner( 11 pm), we went to our room. The pillows had been rearranged and the sheets had been retucked- so I assumed the pillows and sheets and been changed. At 12:30pm, my husband's nose started to itch and eyes started to water. I took off the pillow protectors and found that all of the pillows where feather pillows. I called down and spoke to the manager, who was still on duty. He came up to the room to get the pillows. He then went to supervise the the housekeeping department to ensure a new room had fresh linens and polyfill pillows. We moved down the hall to a new room at 1:15 am.

This night was my 40th birthday- Gaylord hotel has made it memorable in their treatment of my husband and I on my special night.

Thankfully, the rest of our visit went smoothly- although spending $12.99 a day for self parking is a bit outrageous- I can see it in New York where parking is at a premium, but the convention center is on acreage with no other buildings around.

VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Part 2 of the Gaylord Texan

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 26, 2006

We revisited The Gaylord Texan when we recently moved to Dallas and were awaiting our furniture. Our second stay was as wonderful as our first visit! I wanted to include more photos, so added "part 2".

The service at this resort is excellent with numerous amenities. Not only is this a romantic destination, but a family attraction, too. The spa provides many services, but must be scheduled ahead. The River Walk Cafe (picture #3)is a favorite of ours and truly does replicate the river walk of San Antonio, complete with entertainment and a huge buffet.

Valet parking is available or you can self-park. A large, sheltered garage is located nearby with walkway leading to the hotel.

VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Grand Texas-Style Resort

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 2, 2006

The Gaylord Texan is the most unique hotel at which we've ever stayed! This mega hotel complex contains several restaurants, a replicated San Antonio river walk, dinner theatre, a first class spa, several upscale gift shops, lovely courtyards and conference center all enclosed and topped with an immense glass ceiling.

Reservations can be made at the 18-hole golf course. An indoor and outdoor pool and fitness center, as well as a guest laundry are included in the complex.

Our room was beautifully decorated in serene colors and patterns. Thick, terry cloth bathrobes awaited us! A desk and two chairs in one corner allowed my husband to attend to business, while the shops were convenient for browsing and for picking up the film I needed.

The dinner theatre was an amusing diversion, afterwards we sauntered over to Ama Lur for a glass of wine and just soaked up the live music. The evening was a pleasant one at the Gaylord Texan! I would return in a minute!

Unique Quality: This resort had many amenities and unique surroundings portraying the hill country, the Alamo, San Antonio's river walk, waterfalls and colorful flora of the state of Texas.

marca's Profile Photo

A Grand Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 13, 2005

Spent 2 nights here for a business conference held at the adjacent Convention Center. This property is 1st class but sterile. They have a huge atrium where they have a number of restaurants and walking paths. It is nice and all but eating here reminds me of eating a meal at the food court at the local mall (although prices here are much higher).

Unique Quality: They have an indoor pool that I did not see and a beautiful outdoor pool that is open til 10 PM. I would of liked to use the shuttle service to go downtown but time ran out. It is next to the convention center.

Nearby Gaylord Texan

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Grapevine Travel Forum

Need advice about Grapevine, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for Grapevine and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Grapevine hotel reviews

A Taste of Texas
A Glimpse of San Antonio...in Grapevine
Terrific Breakfast; Country French Decor
Restaurants
Dinner Fabulous and Music Awesome!
GAMEWORKS--take the kids!
The Grapevine Choo-Choo
A Candlelight Historic House Tour
Concerts at The Botanical Garden
Everything for the outdoorsman
"Mills" means savings
Shopping
Main Event-- Great for Kids!
Sculpture #1--Sunday Skaters
GRAPEFEST--The Event
Visit the Old Log Cabin
Don't End Up Here!
Things to Do
A good intro to Texas cuisine
"The Grapevine Nightwatchman"