Comfort Inn Hwy. 290/NW

7887 West Tidwell Road, (formerly Days Inn), Houston, Texas, 77040, United States
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Houston

View of the Miller Outdoor TheatreView of the Miller Outdoor Theatre

Front from BabgyFront from Babgy

More of the Ship ChannelMore of the Ship Channel

River Oaks Shopping CenterRiver Oaks Shopping Center

International connections

Hi all--

Has anyone connected internationally through Houston International Airport and/or Newark recently (Continental Airlines)? I would like to know what the procedure is.

I have connected International-to-International (I-t-I, Amsterdam-Atlanta-Lima/Bogota) through Atlanta (Delta Airlines) several times these last 12 months and know that the hold luggage is being labelled through to the final destination without having to pick it up, haul it through customs and re-check the luggage again (as for US domestic flights).

I know that there will be passport controls. But how about the luggage? Is there I-t-I also in IAH and/or EWR, similar to ATL?

Thanks for the answers and input.

Noel

by bocmaxima

I was on an international flight out of IAH a few years ago (before they built Terminal E, actually) but never between. You don't technically enter the country though as the terminals are connected and there is only one customs area.

by nhoolb

Yes, I checked the website but it doesn't say anything about I-t-I. Neither does EWR nor ATL by the way.
Thanks anyway.
Noel

by TXgal

At both IAH and EWR you will need to claim your bag and re-check even if you are traveling back out of the country. Not a far walk between baggage claim and re-check though.

by nhoolb

OK thanks, In that case I am thinking to stick to Delta via Atlanta. Much easier and faster, serves to pay a little more on the airfare then.

by ATXtraveler

I agree with you on the paying slightly more to go through a full service airport like ATL. My one gripe about int'l travel is the check-claim-recheck during hops. Make it easier and just pack a carryon!

by nhoolb

On continuation: Just spoke with someone, here in Colombia where I am now, who flew International-to-International via both Newark AND Houston (Amsterdam-X-Bogota) recently with Continental and he confirmed that in both airports passengers have to pick up their luggage, haul through customs and re-check them for the next international flight. In other words: Continental (via EWR/IAH) will not label the luggage through to the final (international) destination.

Atlanta airport (Delta airlines) however DOES offer the I-t-I service (as I have experienced myself several times, last time 3 weeks ago), which is very convenient. Not necessary to pick up your luggage, it is labelled through to the final international destination.

Nevertheless, the immigration procedure (passport control) is the same for all airports as the USA doesn´t have any in-transit procedures for persons.

A follow-up:

Learned from the Continental agent that now in Houston it is not necessary anymore to pick up your luggage when you have an international connection through IAH. (International-to-International). Just like in Atlanta (with Delta).

In Newark you still have to do it. Just experienced that 3 days ago (with Continental, also on an International-to-International connection).

Travel Tips for Houston

Snow in Houston

by MarvintheMartian

Surely not!!

But yes on December 24/25 2004 Snow Fell in Houston and settled on the roof of my apartment complex.

Snow is not an uncommon site for a Brit - however it was funny to see all the Texans out with there cameras and camcorders!

Outlet mall/retailer/entertainment complex

by CLillard about Katy Mills Mall

This is where I like to shop for reasonable prices. They have stores like Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Guess, Tommy Hilfigger, Timberland, Nine West, Off 5th — Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Bass Pro Outdoor World, and more more more. Everything you normally buy at a mall. This mall is so big, you're feet will get tired. Prices are better than normal stores. Usually they have a good clearance section.

Just Opened on Bay Area Boulevard!

by saraheg77 about Thai Cottage

This restaurant opened up in July 2004 just a couple weeks before my visit. The servers were friendly and the food was great, at a great price! I will definitely go back and try out some more dishes.

My brother and fiance love spicy food and both got the #2 in spiciness on their dishes. Mark could have handled a #3, but he likes things really spicy! There are a total of 5 levels of spicy, so I think #5 might make steam come out of your ears! =) Pad See Ew - the only dish I've tried so far, but it was very tasty with some big, flat noodles stir-fried with little corns, broccoli, & chicken.

Spring rolls - were very fresh and tasty!

Buffalo Wings - were yummy and we had them at a #3 in spiciness, but it wasn't very spicy at all.

Excellent fancy South American (Galleria area)

by XenoHumph about Americas

I highly recommand this restaurant for the original and delicious food, beautiful food presentation, the unique decor, the nice staff, the south American wine list... I loved this place!
Count on $150 for 2 people with wine. The lamb was excellent, the steak was great...

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

by Angelamtp1

The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is the largest art museum in America south
of Chicago, west of Washington, D.C., and east of Los Angeles.
There are two major museum buildings, the Caroline Wiess Law Building and