Comfort Suites North

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 10% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Houston

icecream and amaretto after cheese and porticecream and amaretto after cheese and port

the flying dutchman!! :P yummy!the flying dutchman!! :P yummy!

At the back of the space shuttleAt the back of the space shuttle

Hurricane Rita--2005 (before it hit land)Hurricane Rita--2005 (before it hit land)

another relocation question

by flowerbud1977

Hi everyone-
My family and I are planning to relocate to the Houston area in June. Coming from CA there are so many amazing properties for sale and the asking prices are mindblowing. We're having a hard time narrowing down our search, especially since the position I will be taking in Houston allows me to live just about anywhere and be close to my job. My company will create an area of clients for me to work with close to wherever I choose to live.
We're looking for houses somewhere that is away from the metro area (but not too far), somewhere with a good public school system, somewhere with more houses than apartments. The areas we like so far include Spring, Sugar Land, maybe Jersey Village (it looks to be really close to the metro areas though) and Magnolia (but this one might be too far away).
Any helpful advice is welcome - I've also heard that Houston gets a lot of rain and some areas experience more floods than others so if there are any cities out there that flood less, please let me know - preferably a town in the north, south, northwest, southwest parts.

Thanks!

flowerbud1977

by twogirlsandtwoboys

Hey flowerbud,

I'm a former Californian living in Houston. Housing prices are amazing, huh! I live in master plan community in Missouri City called Sienna Plantation. Its wonderful. There's a lot of transplants here also. The housing prices range from the $100,000 to 1M and there are a TON of amenities - tennis courts, golf course, amphitheatre (they have concerts, fireworks at 4th July and a festival or two), 3 swimming pools, a workout facility, and they are in the process of building a sports complex for field sports - all included with your $750 maintenance fee. Additionally, there are stables close by, two elementary schools in the development - middle school will be just outside of the development, high school's a few miles away. A lot of people are very active in the community....I've never found anything like before. We've lived here almost six years..and have really enjoyed it. The Web site for the community is www.siennaplantation.com. The part of Missouri City that our development is in feels like a connected portion of Sugar Land. I would definitely recommend this area. Schools are good, the area consists of a diversified group of people, and most people would be considered successful. Another factor - traffic! There are multiple ways to get into Houston from Sienna, including a toll-road a few miles from the entrance to the development. Good Luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

by Stargazer1

I agree with twogirlsandtwoboys. I live in First Colony in Sugar Land, near her. Coming from CA, you won't believe the home values. Some places do flood, but these master-planned communities are pretty good about drainage. We had some flood with Alicia a few years ago, but then we got 18+ inches of rain in a day and half or so! It only affected a few neighborhoods. We got a little bit of water over the curb and into the front lawn, but that was the extent. There are flood maps available online -- let me know if you can't find them. Sugar Land is a good area, Katy is nice, but the traffic on I-10 out of there is terrible. Hope this helps.

Ajay

by wasserball

I relocated from SoCa two years ago and I know exactly what you mean. Houses are inexpensive. Check and learn from this Houston Associtation of Realtor...
One advice, do not put all your CA housing money into a house in Houston. You will realize that homes do not appreciate well because of endless amount of land to build and cheaper labor here. Also, most new areas have property tax rate of 3% to 4% of appraised value each year.

Travel Tips for Houston

Football

by Angelamtp1

Check out the new Reliant stadium, home of the Texans football team....amazing! The cost to build this monster was $449,000,000.00.
One of the most important architectural pieces since the downtown baseball park, Reliant Stadium is another key piece of Houston. But while Minute Maid park concentrated on turning a sports venue into an intimate experience, Reliant Stadium went the other way. It had no choice. This thing is big. 1,900,000 square feet. The playing field alone covers 97,000 square feet. The seating can be arranged to accommodate 72,000 fans, plus those watching from the 221 luxury boxes.There are many cafes, bars, and restaurants open most of the evening, the games spawn a very social atmosphere, a must see while in Houston

A wee bit of Irish

by ATXtraveler about Brian O'Neill's

If you are out in the Rice Village area, one of the places you will want to stop in is Brian O'Neills. It is a small Irish Pub, but it has an interesting twist. In the back area, there is a stage for live music.

Being from Austin, the live music portion was not necessarily my favorite, but Houstonians seemed to like it. I personally was not a fan because it was too loud for the small space they were taking up, and frankly I thought that a pub should only be loud with conversation.

Overall, it was a fun time though.

There are a lot of great...

by Nomad_2001

There are a lot of great restaurants in Houston, especially ethnic restaurants. I really enjoyed a particular Chinese restaurant in downtown Houston beaneath the interchange of two main highways. The menu at this restaurant was huge! Sadly I can't recall the name right now. Houston also has some great chains that I haven't found elsewhere: (i) Luther's Bar-B-Que (huge baked potatos come with your order and there is salad bar where you can add what you like to the potato), (ii) Luby's Cafeteria, (iii) Dos Pesos (cheap, but good Mexican) and, of course (iv) the House of Pies (great breakfast and pastries 24 hours).

Houston Zoo

by AVG2319

Fun Day Trip -The Houston Zoo is located in Hermann Park . This is my favorite park in Houston area. Not only does it house the zoo, has beautiful water fountains, train ride for the kids,playground and Japanese Tea Garden. The Zoo is a relatively inexpensive trip (at least compared to other zoos we have been to) and the kids always love the zoo!

The Houston Zoo - Gotta love it!

by cealonzo

The only place in Houston where you can see live wild animals of all kinds in their natural habitat. (Besides the cages) The zoo was founded in 1922. It houses more than 3500 different animals. My son really enjoys going to the zoo. He especially likes the Children's Zoo and the Discovery Center. I HIGHLY recommend it for those with energetic kids. By the time you're done, the kids will sleep like angels. (Hint, Hint) The cost is minimal to enter. $5 for adults, $3 for seniors, $2 for kids 3-12, and free for 2 and under. One more thing, if you plan on visiting on a hot summer day. Take plenty of drinking water. Believe me, YOU WILL SWEAT.

Comments