Comfort Suites Willowbrook

More about Houston

Sugar Land, TXSugar Land, TX

ArtistaArtista

The TexasThe Texas

build it up biggerbuild it up bigger

Where to live?

by Tailyn

My fiance and I are are considering relocating to Houston in about 6 months. We noticed that house prices are very reasonable in the northern part of Houston. Wondering how safe that area is? Coming from California the prices just seem outrageously inexpensive. Wanted to make sure it was not one of those, "you get what you pay for," moments and more just sticker shock from living in the most expensive real estate market in the country.

by bocmaxima

It depends on what you mean by "northern". North Houston proper is a pretty bad area. Further out, once you hit Spring and especially The Woodlands, it's much much nicer.
Houston has always been outrageously cheap compared to most other parts of the country, especially the West Coast. Houses costing $300k there can go for half that in Houston. Take advantage of it.
BTW, there are quite a few posts from people moving to Houston from CA, you may want to look in the Houston forum for them.

by lanew1

I live south of downtown Houston in what is commonly referred to as Midtown...the energy and excitement of revitalization is palpable...more new restaurants and clubs than you can shake a stick at...(as well as reatilers). Don't mind the homeboys...they're essentially harmless...part of what I like to call the "street theatre". Hell, I've been all over the planet and I'm damn proud to call Houston and the downtown environs my home. I wish you well in your journey.
Hope to see you around the circuit,
lane

RE: RE: Where to live?

by lanew1

spelling correction: retailers, not that retarded version earlier. it's late and I'm getting ready to catch a flight to Europe so I thought I might as well stay up and sleep on the plane. Just wanted to clarify in case you thought we were a bunch of dummies who didn't know how to spell. By the way, this forum could use a spell-check. At any rate...the people are great and the housing costs' nominal. Take a two or three day excursion and check it out. Stay at the new Hilton downtown...very reasonable and will give you a good base of operations. Try and stay away from the apt. search people..nefarious bunch of characters if there ever where. Do your homework. Start with www.har.com
lane

by texasjld64

And, Sugar Land was recently voted one of the 10 best places to live (by Money Magazine) - might be worth checking into.

by danielapopich

Hi, I was coming from Florida and I'm moving again because my husband work. I buyed a house in Oakhurst at Kingwood(N.E.Houston Area, 20 min from Downtown) it was wonderful and the neighborhood is great! I had the same concerns like you have now. I choosed this area and I'm pleased!!! I'm selling my house at a very reasonable price .If you want to contact me you can do it and I'll sent you more info.

RE: RE: Where to live?

by lionsgate

if you want to live in northern Houston - Woodlands is the beat area

Travel Tips for Houston

Packing List

by pocketbug

linens in the summer and don't forget a swimsuot. Sandles are a good idea. Don't forget the sunblock. If you go to Galviston to swim, it's a great place to swim by the way, remember it is salt water and rather murkey. Take sun moisturizer.

Strip of bars on Main Street

by CLillard about DOWNTOWN

There is a whole string of lounges, bars, and dance clubs mostly on Main street and the surrounding streets. To name a few: Twelve Spot, Dean's, Clarks, the Hub, Flying Saucer, Six Degrees, Mango's, M Bar

Tex-Mex a -Cut Above the Rest!

by TexasDave about Chacho's

This is a walk-up-to-the-counter-and-order restaurant.A few minutes they call your number and you go and pick up your tray. There is a condiment bar with al kinds of condiments (hot, hotter, and cojones! salsa). There is also a bar that makes a variety of margaritas. In fact later at night a lot of the emphasis is on the bar scene. Not a lot of atmosphre as far as the building itself goes, but still my favorite place for Tex-Mex. They also make their tortillas fresh right there on the grill. I frequently get the 'Poco de Todo' (a little of everything) plate, which is a nice sampler. Besides that I like their gorditas and of course, the fajitas.

Great place to see...Kemah Boardwalk

by angeliadean

When my family first moved to Houston, we visited Kemah Boardwalk and loved it!! Therefore, before we moved back to Oklahoma, we decided to take one last trip down to Kemah for the day. It's located near NASA, which my husband used to work there! We ate great seafood, rode the amusement rides, and took a boat ride out on the Gulf of Mexico. I highly recommend you visit this place when in Houston!!!!

Miller Outdoor Theater

by H-TownJourneyman

This open-air theater is located in Hermann Park, and is an excellent place to catch one of the free shows that are put on here year-round. Many plays, concerts, and kid's activities take place here throughout the year. There is a covered area in front of the stage with seats, and a nice grassy hill as well to relax and enjoy the show. Many people often have picnics or just partake in a peaceful day in the sun on the hill, even when there is not an activity going on at the theater. Check out their website for upcoming shows and events.

Comments