Courtyard West Katy Freeway

12401 Katy Freeway, Houston, Texas, 77079, United States
Courtyard Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Houston

Look how big that hail is!!Look how big that hail is!!

The One Connected to The GalleriaThe One Connected to The Galleria

A green oasis in the middle of downtownA green oasis in the middle of downtown

Museum of Fine Arts - Beck BuildingMuseum of Fine Arts - Beck Building

Best Route from Cypress to Pasadena

by peanutbutteroatmeal

Hi, I've actually been living in Houston (Cypress) for about a month now and I have to communte weekdays to Pasadena. I am on a very tight budget and cannot easily afford to take the toll roads. I leave everyday about 7 AM and it takes me usually about 1 hour and 40 minutes. My question is as follows: is there a better (faster) route than what I'm taking currently (posted below). I live about 7 miles from Jones/290 and I take 290 to 610 to I-10 back to 610 to 225 and to the appropriate Pasadena exit. My gps says to take 610 to 45 to 225, but I've quickly learned trying to get on 45 is a mistake. I would be greatly indebted to anyone that could reccomend a route that would shave off time and therefor shave off the stress of worrying if I'm going to be late.

Re: Best Route from Cypress to Pasadena

by bocmaxima

Yes, I-45 is a mistake, both the Gulf and North Freeways. GPS's don't work for urban areas very well.
If I were dead-set on avoiding the tolls, this is the route I'd take: 290 - 610 east, over the Ship Channel, 225 east. You'll hit a bit of traffic on the North Loop near the I-45 interchange, but your biggest problem is on 290 itself.
But you're really only encountering two tolls by taking the beltway: west of I-45 and on the Ship Channel bridge. I'm not sure where you're working in Pasadena, but you can take the Washburn Tunnel as an alternative to that bridge. You may want to try it one day and see if it saves you any time, but it may not because of the meandering and traffic lights that you'll encounter on Beltway 8.

First step, though, get yourself an EZ-Tag. Stopping to pay the cash tolls is really going to slow you down, and the EZ-Tag box costs you nothing unless you use it.

hth

Re: Best Route from Cypress to Pasadena

by plasma800

Tell your boss to spring for a toll tag or move a little closer. That is a horrendous drive at drive time.

I think you have pretty much exhausted your options. I live right around the corner from you and I would absolutely try taking beltway 8 from 290, towards 59 and down and around and over the bridge. I bet you shave 45 minutes off of your drive.

Travel Tips for Houston

Houston facts

by XenoHumph

Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA: 2 millions inhabitants in the city itself, 4.5 millions if you include the suburbs. It is located on the Southern coast of the USA, along the Gulf of Mexico. Downtown Houston is actually about 30 miles (40 km) from the coast where the resort town of Galveston lies. A huge bay is located just Southeast of Houston, it is Galveston Bay.

The country around Houston is very flat as it is located on the Gulf of Mexico coastal plain (a carbonate platform). Bayous (=wet lands) characterize most of the landscape around Houston, except in the North where big pine forests extend for hundreds of miles, and the Northwest where fields and forests alternate in gently rolling hills. Serious hills start near Austin and San Antonio, in the Hill Country, about 4 to 5 hours drive Northwest of Houston.

The climate is subtropical, a little too humid and hot in the summer, but otherwise pleasant throughout the year. In winter it freezes maybe 2 or 3 nights a year! It rains a lot, but in big bursts in the form of violent tropical storms and thunderstorms, leaving an overall impression of a very sunny place!

Houston (founded 1836) developped mainly around the oil industry and a huge amount of the population still works in petrochemicals. It is also home to the NASA Johnson Space Center where astronauts receive their training, where 'mission control' is located, and where the Moon rocks are curated.
- -
Here are more facts on Houston
(most of them from the City of Houston website):
- Home to 18 Fortune 500 companies and more than 5,000 energy related firms, Houston is considered by many as the Energy Capital of the world.
- Houston has the most affordable housing of 10 most populated metropolitan areas; Houston housing costs are 39 percent below the average of 26 U.S. urban populations of more than 1.5 million.
- The Port of Houston ranks as the nation's largest port in international tonnage and second in total tonnage.
- Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world, with a local economic impact of $10 billion. More than 52,000 people work within its facilities, which encompass 21 million square feet. Altogether 4.8 million patients visit them each year.
- Houston is home to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The largest rodeo in the world, it attracts more than 1.8 million visitors each year.
- And I have to add, Houston has won the dreaded title of "fatest city in the USA", meaning that there is here the largest percentage of overweight people in any american city!!

Here are my bevy of beauties I...

by bdbrewer

Here are my bevy of beauties I had champagne brunch with. My daughter, Kristen, my wife, Barbara, and Virginia our friend who is a Houston native and knows it like the back of her hand. She makes a great tour guide.

Great food

by Mari6625 about Americas

Americas is where we always go to celebrate special occasions and it's still the best! Service is always top-notch and the food is always delicious. If there's a featured "off the menu" item that you've had in the past, they will gladly make it for you if you request it. They also have a great selection of wines at every price. This is where to go when you want a truly special evening. This place is one of my fave restaurants in Houston. The food is llike no other around. It's mostly South American cuisine with a Central American flare. The best thing about this place, apart from the food, is the atmosphere. Monday thru Friday they have a great happy hour in the downstairs bar/lounge area. From 5pm-7pm they have drink specials and free buffet.

Churrascos

by Angela0667 about Churrascos

The house is always packed here. Amid the beams and stucco walls, you will feel like guests in the dining room of a busy hacienda. If service is sometimes sketchy, gratis plantain chips and tender entrees are well-nigh perfect. Surrender to the Churrascos practiced Latin way with its signature dish--tenderloin sauteed with lime, roasted peppers, and scallions. Churrascos, of course!

Lots to do in Galveston

by jacki13

Galveston is definitely worth a day trip from Houston. Walk on the board walk; visit the aquarium; eat great seafood or ride the ferry. All are enjoyable. One recommendation would be to call the visitor's information and check to see if any major groups are visiting during the time of your stay. Growing up my grandparents would take my brother and I to Galveston every summer. Since my Grandmother recently passed away, I wanted to go to Galveston to walk along the seawall and remember good times. My plan didn't quite work out as it was black fraternity weekend the day that I was there and there was many 100 's of thousands attending. At the time I was pregnant and white well I'm still white but not pregnant so I stuck out like a sore thumb. Mind you, everyone was friendly but I wasn't able to commune with nature and reminence.

Comments