Extended StayAmerica Houston - Katy Freeway

11175 Katy Freeway, Houston, Texas, 77079, United States
Extended Stay America - Houston - Katy Frwy - Beltway 8
Travelocity Booking.com Ext. Stay America

More about Houston

Restaurant the Grove, Houston, TX, at nightRestaurant the Grove, Houston, TX, at night

Another covered picnic areaAnother covered picnic area

Houston Chronicle pressesHouston Chronicle presses

Miller Outdoor TheaterMiller Outdoor Theater

Relocating from Scotland

by scottishlass7

Hello,

This is my first post, so please be patient if I ramble!
I am from Scotland but my husband is due to relocate to Houston this year, and I will be moving with him. I am very excited about the move but also a little apprehensive as have never lived abroad before. I am trying to figure out where we want to live. He will be working in Rosharon, and I am not sure whether I will be working, but most likely if I do work it will be in the medical district or somewhere similar as I have a medical research background.
We have friends living in the Bellaire area, but other than that do not really know anyone yet. We have no children, but do have a dog who loves his freedom in Scotland. Here we can let him run off the lead all the time as he is very well behaved (I believe this is not the case in Texas?), so would be looking for something relatively close to somewhere we can take him for exercise. Other than that basically we are looking for somewhere safe and pleasant to live, somewhere we can get out and about a bit and have some fun. We both love the outdoors particularly windsurfing and mountainbiking.

Any advice on areas for renting would be greatly appreciated. So far we have thought of Clear lake, Pearland, or something in the centre of Houston (If it is worth it for the sake of keeping in touch with people)

Thanks

by Mari6625

Hello. You will love Houston. It is a very large and diverse city. I'll start answering your questions:

Dogs: There are no leash laws in Houston, but people get a little weird when thet see people walking their dogs with out their leash. I guess they see it as common courtesy. There are many dog parks in houston as well. They are large parks that you can take your dogs and let them run loose with all the other dogs. I have a yorkie and he LOVES it. There is one actually in Bellaire that i usually take him to.

Where to live: Rosharon, TX is closer to the Pearland area. This is a VERY up and coming place. In fact, i bought a house and moved close to this area about 4 years ago. There are MANY new homes off of the 288 and Beltway area. When i moved here about 4 years ago many people did not realize how close to downtown it was. I am about 10 minutes from Downtown and about 6 minutes from the Medical Center. This will probably be the best place to relocate due to it being closer to your husbands job, but also closer to things to do. You will find everything and anything in this area. From shopping to eating. Clear Lake is a little further out and closer to Galveston. It is about a 35 minute drive to downtown. I would definatley go with Pearland (but Pearland off of Beltway and 288 - NOT off of 45 south)

Feel free to email me with any other questions. I will be more then happy to answer anything.

by scottishlass7

Thanks very much for the advice. I have been thinking about it all weekend, and doing lots of web searches. You have put my mind at rest about my dog too- I was getting worried about him! I am pretty sure we are going to go for Pearland now. Looking forward to getting out there and having a look around now.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time!

by basstbn

Relocating from Scotland to Houston - all I can offer is my condolences.

Travel Tips for Houston

Driving

by el_ruso

The city is spread out, so the people here learn that the only way to get from their home to work and back, as well as anywhere else, is to use highways, and drive fast. At least faster than is customary in some other areas. So if you insist on driving speed limit, move to the right.

Yes, it's......

by msbrandysue about The Galleria

The galleria holds most of the upscale shops of Houston such as Tiffanys and Co. and Saks. Neimans is still there as is Macy's and other nice places. It is also connected to some of the more expensive restaurants and hotels in the area. It compares to downtown in sights and sounds. Whatever you can afford More than you would in most places....

Steak in All Forms

by seagoingJLW about Texas Land and Cattle

The steaks are great. This is not, however, fine dining. It is a down to earth steak house.

We celebrated my grandson's highschool graduation here.

I have to admit the steaks were marvelous. We had the special sirloin steak. I ordered it medium rare and it was succulent.

Great Thai Food On The Northwest Side!

by H-TownJourneyman about Tubtim Siam

This Northwest side restaurant is the only place on this side of town, and one of the better ones in Houston, to get truly authentic Thai food! Fairly small, but very quaint, the staff, even when busy, is extremely nice and their service is top notch. The menu has a wide selection of Thai items, as well as a few Chinese dishes as well. All the food here is prepared fresh, and has such a great flavor to it. Appetizers such as spring rolls and fish cakes are really good. And the many entrees consisting of meats such as beef, chicken, and duck are incredibly delicious! They seem to use the perfect amount of curry in their meals, not overpowering, but enough to bring out the zest of the food. Prices are very reasonable for a Thai restaurant, especially one that has this quality of food! Anyone who enjoys Thai food will enjoy their experience here! The Satay Chicken. Excellent flavor, chicken with Thai curry served with spicy sauces

Texas History and the Nation's Tallest Monument

by msbrandysue

San Jacinto is about 30-60 minutes away from downtown depending on traffic. Depending on what website you look at San Jacinto State Park is in Houston or La Porta, so I've posted them in both.

I had a blast visiting the park and the museum. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly woman in a brown building leading into the tallest monument in the US (that would be on the right). We paid our dollar ea. entrance fee and were giving maps of the state park. On the map are numbered significant posts. Each post is made on stone around the park that give key points in the battle of Texas Independence (including Santa Anna's camp, where Houston gets wounded, etc. We decided to drive around before we visited the monument. It was fun. There were even picnic areas and bathroom available if you bring the kids.

Around the monument the history of Texas is written. VERY awesome! It is 15 feet taller than the Washington monument! (EVERYTHING'S BIGGER IN TEXAS!) It's in my TRAVELOGUE. Inside the monument is a small, free museum showing artifacts of Houston, Travis, Santa Anna, etc. Inside you can also view a video Texas about the San Jacinto battle as well as buy tickets to go up the monument. Oh, and there is a gift shop but....not that good!

Outdoors there is the reflection pond and the six flags that flew over Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, State of Texas, and the United States.

Across the way the Battleship of Texas exists. You can find this in my next tip as it is completely different from the Texas monument!
San Jacinto Museum of History
Monument Open Daily 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day

San Jacinto Battleground
Park Open Daily 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

From the website:

In March of 1836, things were not going well for Texas revolutionaries. Having declared independence from the official Mexican government, they were now running from the Mexican army, being run from their homes.
Since January 1836, Texas settlers had been abandoning their homes and the lives they’d created on the Texas frontier. Known as the Runaway Scrape, this retreat began as the Mexican government initiated military reoccupation of the newly settled land. The event was marked by sickness, freezing weather, hunger and panic among the citizenry.
On the morning of April 21st, General Houston held a council of war. The majority of his officers voted to await Santa Anna’s attack in order to leverage their position. General Houston let each man in the council plead his case. Then he made a decision, which he kept to himself until that afternoon: they would attack.
Around 4:30 p.m., the Mexican soldiers awoke from their afternoon siestas to the smell of gunpowder and cries of vengeance. Flushed with victory from the siege of the Alamo, Santa Anna had failed to post sentries to monitor the Texans’ activities.
In eighteen minutes the Texians were in control of the Mexican camp.
The Mexican soldiers were far more trained in martial field tactics and strategy than their Texian opponents. But they were unable to organize under the feverish surprise attack. And the short-range unorthodox brawling of frontiersmen with long knives and clenched fists did not work in their favor.
Over 600 Mexican soldiers were killed, and over 700 were allowed to surrender; nine Texians were killed or mortally wounded. Sam Houston was shot in the ankle. Santa Anna was found the next day hiding in the grass and dressed as a common foot soldier.

In the end, the United States would gain not only Texas but also New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming.
As a result of the Battle of San Jacinto, almost a third of what is now the United States of America changed ownership.

Here you can see more of the markers, monument, museum, and the Battleship.

Comments