Hotel Derek

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Priceline.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Thieve! Wedding girfts and luggage stolen

A friend boooked us a room at this so called 4 star hotel as a wedding present for 2 days, when we left and came back later on that night our room was clean and our luggage and wedding presents were gone! I called the front desk and lady said she would call me back she never did i went downstairs and said she could not do anything because her Director of Operations was not there and they could no handle the "issue' until monday, there was no such thing as customer service the manager was rude and they offered no type of compensation. So its now tuesday and no call from nobody. Please do not stay at that hotel its overpriced and not all its said to be.

• thecribbageking's Profile Photo

Cheats at Cribbage

Hotel is fine. But Derek's lame Cribbage play is out weighed by decent skills in art of smack.
    Really Derek? Three games does not a tournament make. Superman? More like super lame!
    Any way I am ready and willing to grant you audience with the king to have an actual tournament.

And your side kick John better get ready, I am taking him down next!!!!

Unique Quality: Pleasant, but he's no King.

• kimberlyfisher1's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel at it's Best!

If your going for sleek, modern, and unique in the Lone State, Hotel Derek is the place to be. Situated in Houston's uptown Galleria area, you are minutes away from great restaurants, shopping, and nightlife. Enjoy the wonderful views of the city in the open, spacious, loft-style rooms with extra-luxurious beds...all rooms feature 100%, fluffy, goose down comforters to ensure a good night's rest.

Service is homestyle Texas friendy, with a modern twist.

Pet friendly! Perfectly suited for business travelers!

Unique Quality: ~choice of 5 different suites; studio, king guestroom, jr. suite, executive suite, presidental suite

~fully stocked mini bar

~complimentary overnight shoe shine

~valet and guest laundry

~twice daily maid service

~pet friendly

~on site restaurant and bar

~spa tratment suite

~in house clothes pressing

~business center

~

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

And now for something completely different!

As a business traveller, I often get to stay in a hotel that is a little beyond the means of most budget travellers, but I guess for the sake of everyone, you should know the difference between the Hampton Inn, and the higher end hotels such as Hotel Derek.

For the Sake of argument, I will break down what I expect out of a hotel, and what this hotel provides.

#1 A comfortable bed. Hotel Derek has a wonderfully nice bed, however is it worth the extra premium? Maybe for a honeymoon, but not everyday travellers.

#2 Great staff helping you. Hotel Derek is way further along than those Hampton Inn guys :)

#3 Location - This hotel is right next to the Galleria, so you are in a prime shopping location.

All in all, this was a nice stay and I would recommend it.

More about Hotel Derek

Love Hotel Derek! #1 By Far!!

by TripAdvisor Member srlaries

Hotel Derek is a must stay in Houston. My husband and I took the weekend to Houston for shopping at the Galleria which we di about 4 to 5 times a year. This was our first time to stay there and Hotel Derek was in the perfect location! They even provided us roundtrip car service in the town car for free. The rooms are all very modern and you may run into a celebrity in the lobby, we did! Hotel Derek is by far the best hotel in Houston!

Nice, Modern hotel

I stayed at the Hotel Derek for the weekend. My room was on the 14th floor. It was nicely laid out and had large windows. The hotel only offers valet service. The pool is quite small and it was shaded most of the time. The location of the hotel is off 610, there is a lot of construction in this area. We were by the Galleria Mall, which is fun and huge. It was easier to walk then drive and pay for parking there. I had turn down service each night, which was included. This is a fun hotel for anyone looking to stay somewhere that is not your typical Sheraton. I would stay here again.

Couldn't get out of the shower!

by TripAdvisor Member GJG25

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Derek in August 2004 ($99 for a Saturday night stay). We were in town to attend a family party and only stayed one night at the hotel. The room was very nice and had a modern feel, the bed was also very comfortable, but the best thing about the hotel was the shower. I raved about the shower head soo much, that I got it as a gift this past Christmas. We didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants, or use any of the facilities, so I can't comment on them. All in all it was an above average hotel, with a very modern feel.

Not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member GodBlessTexas

Stayed at Hotel Derek in Houston March 4,5 of 2005, Had to say it was underwhelming. Let's call this hotel what it is, an old hotel, with small and outdated rooms, camoflaged by a little Ikea. The service was good, but the location is a pain to get in and out of. The valet parking seemed much more concerned with the on site reesaurant's guests. The tub didn't drain, a complaint of other reviewers. The bathrooms are tiny. This is not a four star hotel. It's kinda cool at first glance, but really not much substance here. If you want to be another wannabe, it's for you! One plus, the restaurant across the street, "the Grotto", is an Italian food gem. The Post Oak/Galleria are is great.

Liked the Hotel, But It's Not a Four Diamond

by TripAdvisor Member TravelSheryl

I stayed here on Saturday, 2/12, and needed to access the Internet as soon as I arrived. The hotel boasts free high speed Internet access yet there was no ethernet cord in the room. I had to wait 15 minutes for housekeeping to deliver one and then the high speed worked well.

The desk area is quite nice and I really like the couch-like setup which ran the width of the room. Great for laying stuff out.

The bed and king size goose down pillows were very comfortable; however, the mattress is set atop a low platform (no box springs). The platform extends beyond the mattress on all sides. The end of the bed had the duvet folded down which covered the corners of the platform. As a result, I knocked my leg on the corner of the bed 3 times while I was there.

Lighting in the room is great; however, at 2:00 a.m. when I was going to bed and turned off all the lights, there was mood lighting behind the headboard and no switch to turn it off. I had to call for help at 2:00 a.m. which was not a pleasant experience at all to have a strange man come into your room at that hour. He couldn't find a switch either so he just had to pull the tubing that contained the tiny lightbulbs out of the wall.

There was an ironing board but no iron.

The clock radio was not set, but rather flashed on 12:00.

The Hot and Cold indicators in the shower were reversed. Lighting in the bathroom could have been better. A terrific fluffy bathsheet is provided. Nice toiletries as well.

Dinner at the new bistro moderne was wonderful.

There is a washer and dryer on each floor next to the ice machine.

When asked how my stay was at checkout, I said less than satisfactory and then I detailed the issues I had. I did not ask for anything nor did I expect more than an apology. The clerk was very receptive to the issues and immediately said he would adjust my bill. He then reduced the room rate by half and comped both my parking and the can of cashews I took from the minibar. I felt this was way beyond what was necessary but certainly appreciated.

Hotel Derek has a tremendous amount of potential. With more attentive housekeeping and management oversight, this hotel could certainly merit the AAA Four Diamond rating, but I don't think it's there yet.

Will stay again for sure

by TripAdvisor Member bonvivant21

Service was excellent! The staff went out of their way to accomodate my requests. I asked that they contact me on my cell phone when my package was messengered to the hotel, and they made sure to follow up. The room was clean, hip and affordable. It is located very close to the Galleria and many restaurants in the area. My only complaint was that there was very little water pressure in the shower. However, on departure, the staff made sure to ask how my stay was and when I mentioned the shower said that they would look into it immediately. The staff was very responsive and made my stay in Houston a pleasure.

LOOKING FOR HOTEL RECOMENDATIONS

by redfish99

Coming to H-town for a Texan game where shouldfour guys looking to party and not drive all over the place stay.Thanks ERIC

Re: LOOKING FOR HOTEL RECOMENDATIONS

by amyhouston

Hotel Derek by The Galleria.

Re: LOOKING FOR HOTEL RECOMENDATIONS

by TXgal

Hi Eric - you will probably want to stay downtown (Hilton Americas, Crowne Plaza, Hyatt, Doubletree) or between downtown and Reliant Stadium, if you don't have a car this will keep you on the train route and you can take the train to the stadium and I would assume you'll be coming in on Saturday and you can party downtown or midtown Sat night, lot's of bars and clubs. If you need more info feel free to e-mail me directly. Beth

Comments