Hotel ZaZa - Houston

Hotel ZaZa Houston
Orbitz.com TabletHotels.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Macho_Man's Profile Photo

For Ritzy, old world glamour,...

For Ritzy, old world glamour, stay at the Warwick Hotel in the Museum District. Great place to give a party because of the view. Walk across the street and find yourself at the famed Museum of Fine Arts and the Audrey Beck extension. The Contemporary Arts Museum is also across the street. The Natural History and Science Museum is a couple of blocks away. And the zoo is further down. The Children's Museum, The Medical Museum and the Holocaust Museum are only a few more blocks away.
    It's Five Star but I'm sure they have specials, because they are special.

More about Hotel ZaZa - Houston

Beautiful hotel but not a good stay!

by TripAdvisor Member kbommer

Went to the Hotel ZaZa for a family reunion for my mother's 75th birthday. My sister and her 2 children had a large nice room with a sitting area. My mother's room was nice but small. My room (double beds) was very small. With the addition of the roll-away bed for the third child we had to walk on the beds to get about the room! You would assume when we checked in they would SEE the children and give us a bigger room (The room rate was the same on all rooms - all my treat). At check out they double billed the room service to 2 rooms. It took me 5 calls to get the billing resolved. They have now REBILLED one of the rooms so I have to deal with their nice but ineffective business service folks again. I am going back downtown Houston next time!

I've gotten better service at Denny's!

by TripAdvisor Member sadavaria

I scheduled a business lunch at the Hotel Zaza in Houston's restaurant, The Monarch. Upon arrival I asked if my guest had arrived. This was a first meeting and I did not know what she looked like. I was assured she had not. I gave them her name and asked to please be on the lookout for her. I was seated in the main walkway through the restuarant so that I could see anyone arriving or departing. I repeatedly went to the host stand to ask if she had arrived or if anyone had called. I was unable to get a line on my cell anywhere within the hotel or restaurant (one of the waiters suggested I try walking down the street...it was raining). After 50 minutes of waiting, I saw a very annoyed looking woman waiting to get her parking ticket validated. I asked a gentleman (who looked like a manager) if she had been looking for someone and he said he didn't know. I called out the name of the person I was to meet with and she turned around. She had arrived minutes before me and had been told by the host/ess that I had not arrived yet and that tthey would seat her and let me know that she was there when I arrived. She was very mad and no longer had time for a meeting. This meeting took months to set up and could cost my company $$$$. The response I got from everyone in the restaurant was "I didn't know". I also left a message with the General Manager - NO RESPONSE. Bad Service at its very worst!!!

New Years Eve Let Down!

by TripAdvisor Member Catafega

My fiance and I, were so excited to experience our New Years Eve here, and absorb all of the fine surroundings...upon arrival, began one disaster after another...only two of our bags were placed on the cart for the bellman, while our other belongings, laptop, camera, clothing for the party, were left on the front steps...they did not even know or care, and watched as my fiance went outside to pick them up, carry them in and put them on the cart...the bellman stood and watched. Arriving in the room, it was nicely decorated, but extremely small..we stayed on the 3rd floor, cabana (above the pool). The bathroom is quite the experience...very tiny and you cannot close the shower, so it is hard to get out, when it is so cold, and water gets all over the bathroom floor...we paid $100. to get into what we thought was going to be a Great New Years Event/Experience...when getting to the bar, there were literally about 60 people stuffed, pushing and shoving trying to get a drink..we waited 45 minutes to get one drink each, ($35.) and the people were rude. We stayed on the terrace, we are smokers, and due to the music (we were told) was going to be to our liking..it was not...we asked lots of questions before booking here, and found just the opposite... Before Midnight arrived, my fiance tried to get champagne, they told him, sorry....we didn't toast at midnight, we did not have any party hats or favors...we wanted to know exactly what we just paid for, so we asked the front desk...she then took care of getting us two glasses of champagne, and we toasted our 2008 together, on a sofa, in the lobby, 25 minutes after midnight. We decided to go out by the pool, in what looked like a great little retreat area, it was...but there just seemed to be NO ONE in charge at this Hotel...it was a Free for All, no service, no one cleaning, NOTHING! Stepping over bottles, broken glass, and the privilege of watching people jump into the pool with there clothes on until 6:00am, was our entertainment for the evening...not to mention a lot of cursing, and you can see people thru the sheer curtains and the glass windows...so little does everyone realize, we seen just about everything...offensive yes...I could not believe, I could sit on the balcony and look up, to see a guy taking a shower! We tried to make the best of our stay, and laughed it off, but made a bet, that something else was sure to happen, before leaving....there were 5 bellmen outside, not one opened our car door, our luggage looked as tho, the doors were opened, and they just threw them in the back seat, and to top it off, our bet was done...they lost our car keys...we waited 20 minutes, for them to try and find them! Amazing Experience to say the least! We are really fun people who like to have a great time, like everyone else, but...we have had much better service at other locations, and I would not recommend this place to anyone, unless you enjoy the sleeziness of a cheaply operating hotel in Las Vegas, and definately do not bring children...our experience was $700.00...bottom line...no one is in charge, you can do whatever you want here, pay lots to do it, and not receive any hospitality during it...we witnessed people passing out drugs at the pool, before checking out of the hotel the next morning. Happy New Year to All! Houston really has a lot of Fantastic Hotels, this is NOT one of them...we really love the Hotel Icon!!

Such a pleasant surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member irisb

I stayed here with a pretty large party of 35 for a weekend birthday bash and was pleasantly surprised at how well they accommodated our group. The rooms are very hip, with nice touches here and there that display a clear attention to detail. The decor is definately not "warm", but that's outweighed by the personality that shines in the design of it all. Very tasteful! The beds are also pretty comfy.

The check in was a no-brainer (the glass of champagne walking in from the airport was right on time), the room service was delicious, the service pretty impeccable (they pretty much handled EVERYTHING within 30 mins), and I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Fabulous hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member tweek

I stayed with a group at the hotel this past weekend (january 11th) .. what a FANTASTIC stay!

This hotel with the service, rooms, food was almost undescrible how awesome this hotel is!

Beds are the most comfy I have ever stayed in.. large rooms with marble showers/tubs, sinks, flat screen televisions and great views!

The employees go above and beyond the call and deserve a great round of applause!

If you get the chance, upgrade to one of the magnificent seven suites.. you will not be disappointed

I have stayed at the RZ, the New York Palace, Hyatts and many other 5 star hotels in the USA.. this one exceeded my expectations and I would give it a 6 star out of 5 stars!

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member cellfree

First, the good. The service from every staff member from the parking attendant to the concierge was fantastic. Well trained, helpful, and friendly, except the concierge had difficulty directing us to an alternate nice quiet bar to have a drink (see comments below). The hotel is wonderfully situated for Rice, the museums and the hospitals and they are all within walking distance of the hotel.
Next, the bad: No hot water on two out of three showers. There is nothing more disappointing than a lukewarm shower on a cold, blustery day and it is unacceptable in a luxury hotel. (there was no bathtub) The decor - olive green and brown is ugly. The lobby tries to mimic the Costes (Paris) with the bass music and The Delano (South Beach) with the lobby funiture. Neither is attractive in this setting. We had scheduled to meet another couple for a drink in the bar and were told both in person and over the phone through the concierge that this wasn't possible. The tables in the bar were reserved for bottle service only and were taken. Again, it is unacceptable that a hotel guest would be excluded from bar service. It was early so we were actually the only people to enter the bar and still were told it would not be possible to serve us. We had room service for one breakfast and were told that the table would be removed from the room by 10 AM. We returned in the evening and there had been maid service but the dirty dishes were still in the room. Obviously there was a lack of coordination between the staff.. The room was adequate in size but was dark and I considered it boring and dark not hip. The pillows were all bolster size and too large for sleeping (or they needed to be a little softer). While the location suits us very well the hotel cannot be considered luxurious in any way.

not that great

by TripAdvisor Member AAPE

The hotel room was more than petite! It was super small! In fact, where the toliet was placed made for a very uncomfortable sitting. There was a large crowd partying outside of our doorway until 2:30 am. We finally called security around 2:30 to ask them to move their crowd into their rooms. But it was extremely obnoxious and loud! The food at Monarch was less than impressive. The seabass was good and the tuna appetizer was tasty, but the risotta was terrible and the dessert menu lacks creativity and especially a chocolate item. Who ever heard of a dessert menu without something chocolate! This was supposed to be a romantic night away from our 2 babies, yet it turned into a night of bad food and foul entertainment provided by loud and obscene college boys trying to relive the old days. We will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Nice, Service Terrible

by TripAdvisor Member cseanmc

The ZAZA is in a great area of Houston. The hotel is very nice inside. We were fortunate to get upgraded from a standard room to a corner suite on the 7th floor. Room was awesome. Walked into a living area with a modern couch, dining room table that sat 8 and a huge plasma TV. The bathroom seperated the bedroom and living area. It was narrow, but very nice. Bedroom had a comfortable bed and another plasma TV. One minor complaint was the noise from the Monarch Bar was loud enough to be heard in our room that night. Overall the room was great.

Now to the service. This hotel is in need of a serious attitude adjustment. Front desk and check in were fine. Ate a late lunch one day in the Monarch and brunch the next morning. Service was slow and very spotty. Food was decent. Waiters were not friendly at all. Tried to get into the Monarch bar after we went out that night. There were 2 weddings going on in the hotel so the bouncers told us the bar was at capacity (there were a ton of non guests trying to get into the bar). Which would have been fine if they werent so rude about it. We tried to explain we were guests at the hotel and they didnt seem to care at all. We finally got into the bar later and it was 3 deep trying to get a drink. One bouncer told my buddy (who was also a hotel guesty) he had 5 minutes to get a drink and get out of the bar b/c more people were trying to get in.

On Sunday when we tried to get our car out of valet, I went to the valet stand and told the guy that I would like my car pulled around in 20 minutes. He rudely told me no and to come back when I actually needed the car. That would have been fine also, if it hadnt taken 30+ minutes to get my car out of valet when I returned. Several times I tried to follow up to see where my car was and nobody seemed to care. Finally one employee told me it was a crazy day b/c of all the people checking out. Fine, but if you are a 5 star hotel, act like one. Nobody at valet seemed to care at all and there was no system whatsover. Someone told me it took her 2 hours to get her car out of valet on Sat night.

I travel 2-3 days a week and stay at either Marriotts or the Ritz chain when I am out of town. This hotel could learn alot about customer service from the Ritz. Never once did any employee there go out of there way to make us feel welcomed. To them it was a privelage to be staying at the ZaZa. For the money that we spent there I expected quite a bit more.

Based on the rooms I liked the hotel, but will not stay here again as i left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Comments