Hyatt North Houston

Tags

Business Travel Budget Travel Road Trip
See Amenities
jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Nice huge basement lounge area; airport

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 8, 2009

Decided to book in this hotel as part of my hotel/flight package in August 2009. This hotel is close to the Bush IAH airport where I was supposed to land, but due to thunderstorms at the time, I ended up buying another plane ticket that landed at Houston Hobby which is a good 45 minutes away. But no frets because the hotel was easy to get to as it was on the major freeway (I think the 8?).

The parking was easy and there was security going around around when I arrived at midnight. The reception was 2-3 small reception tables which looked discordant with the huge loung/bar area at the basement hall and the very airy ambiance inside the hotel.You would think the reception would be bigger, but the service was quick and I had no problems checking in (it was midnight anyway). The reception desk has a small store nearby where you can buy essentials and little things/snacks.

Surprisingly, the basement hall was still full of people and there looked that there was a Middle eastern conference because you see young teenagers everywere with Arabic clothings.

I was given a room which was #130 and it was wweire because I had to ride the elevator going down to my room (I think there are 8 levels). The room is of adequate size and the color pallette of the bed was very nie with bright green accents. Looks very comfy and it was a relief to finally rest on the bed after a long time being stuck at the airport (thunderstorms).

Unfortunately, there is no free wireless internet and you have to pay roughly about $15 a day I think - but not worries because I have my own broadband. But the good thing is that the desk in the room was very well-equipped for business people with lots of plug-in for electricity. And the chair was wonderfully of an ergonomic design. There was direct payment movies on the TV as is standard in most hotels in the airport area. I think I had a 36 inch flatscreen.

The gym has some machines by the basement hall...and I did not get to see the pool which was at the right of the building because the door was always closed by the times I reached my hotel in the next three days. I was always out and just used the hotel to sleep.

The room was cleaned very well....and the bathrooom was immaculate with granite tops.

Would stay here again if I want to be near the airport but Houston does have a lot of hotels and I usually like to stay in different ones.

Unique Quality: big basement hall/lounge

patbell's Profile Photo

Past glory days; better than some near airport

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 31, 2008

Recent stays saddened me to see how dispirited this hotel had become. Yet, despite the small rooms, the deteriorating neighborhood, the somewhat empty feeling of it all, this hotel still has a lot to offer. The room was clean, the toiletries were nice, the front desk staff welcoming and dignified, and the food better than the appearance of the site would suggest. This hotel was grand when it opened years ago. The neighborhood near Bush Intercontinental Airport of Houston has never been good; hence, hotels struggle to maintain their standards. The staff in this hotel is very international. They will rent a room for half day if you just need to sleep for a few hours before or after airplane travel. The concierge is friendly and helpful and found me a hairdresser nearby, giving detailed directions for locating the salon. The restaurant staff listened closely to my food concerns (gluten intolerant) and tried to accomodate - and did not make me feel like a problem or a demanding person. The once soaring artistic lobby has not been freshened in a long time and the common areas and rooms could all stand some refurbishing, but compared to other IAH airport hotels, this is still my choice. I recently tried two others and could not even force myself to stay overnight in them.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located on Beltway 8 going into and out of the airport.

Directions: On the north side of Beltway 8, entrance from the access road or side road. Ample free parking, though most of it is surface, not covered. Also convenient to both I-45 and I-59.

melim19's Profile Photo

Un grand hôtel avec le modèle français

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 21, 2005

Bonjour! Welcome to Hotel Sofitel Houston!
Sofitel, is a medium sized hotel with all the pleasures of the bigger hotels in town. I'm at Sofitel Monday through Friday because I am a student Intern! So of course, I can tell you all that happens at Sofitel. The rooms here, compared to other surrounding hotels, are GORGEOUS. Especially those in the last two floors! They have a 'something' special.. or maybe its the lighting! Jiji. What I love the most of this Sofitel is the lobby! WOW! Once you're here, it is like your in a french city. Seriously, the hotel inside features a lobby inspired by a french city. It even has street lights, and you can see the lower banquet area from the lobby. This is undescribable, I don't know how to describe this 'inside city'. It's so beatiful. I certaintly recommend the hotel. I know the staff personally and we are happy to serve our guests.
Of course, there are also bad notes to anything, Sofitel is not the exception. What I don't like is that I've seen many times, one elevator (the middle one) not working properly. I saw them working on it last week, I hope it stays working well! Another thing is the room views. You have the option of seeing the parking lot, or traffic in the highway! NOt good! The BEST view to get in Sofitel, is of the inside atrium. IT's beatufil froom the room's windows. You're looking at a city inside!! NICE!!! :)

[Be sure to see the virtual tours on the website!]

Unique Quality: The pool area here is great!!! I love the pool! It is a tropical oasis!!!. Sofitel is a great place for relaxing, and having the pleasure to do nothing at all!

And oh yes! There are two presidential suites that spacious, and with ooh soo comfortable beds! I've stayed various times, and loved the feeling of being a such a big and comfy bed. (but of course the presidential suite is expensive! during the weekend it might even run up to $300 to $400 dlls!) WOAh!!!

2007 UPDATE: As I was coming from IAH I passed by Sofitel and realized.. IT IS NOT SOFITEL ANYMORE! IT IS TURNING INTO A
CROWNE PLAZA I BELIEVE. I HAVEN'T BEEN TO CHECK IT OUT BUT I FEEL IT IS A REAL SHAME TO HAVE LOST A SOFITEL !

Directions: In the Greenspoint area. Minutes away from downtown and very close to IAH (5 minutes).

Nearby Hyatt North Houston

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Houston Travel Forum

Need advice about Houston, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for Houston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Houston hotel reviews