Intercontinental Houston

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Emile72's Profile Photo

Good location

I would say this is one of the best places, if not the best place in the Galleria area. Nice rooms, and totally lives up to the 5 star factor. Walking distance of the Galleria shopping mall. Club lounge offers breakfast, but as most club lounges in the US, don't expect anything extravaganza.

• Be prepared to be put on hold

I am typing this because "Erica," who does meetings reservations, has me on hold now for 15 minutes and I have nothing better to do than to put in an entry about how long she has me on hold.
    Want to reserve a meeting here? Be prepared to have Erica gruffly say "Hoed On" before you have a chance to utter anything.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

All 7 continents are welcome here.

During a recent business trip, I stopped in at the Houston Intercontinental hotel for a conference. This hotel had a beautiful entry way, and was a very nice place to hold a conference. We shared the hotel with the Houston Dentist Convention next to us.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

One thing that I do want to make sure you know though, is that this hotel is nowhere near IAH airport, which is known as Houston Intercontinental Airport... so please do not reserve a room here if you are looking for a quick getaway immediately after staying.

More about Intercontinental Houston

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Gracie99uk

This was the second time I had stayed at the Intercontinental in Houston. The location of the hotel can not be faulted - it is within one block of the Galleria shopping centre and only a short drive to attractions. Check-in went relatively smoothly and we received a room on the Club floor. No complaints about the room or bathroom. Housekeeping wasn't as good as expected - glasses were not replaced with fresh ones, toiletries were not replenished and mini-bar wasn't re-stocked. A call to housekeeping resolved the above. Internet access is free on the Club Floor although we had to point this out to the front desk staff as it was included on our bill. Used the club lounge for breakfast one morning - range of fruit, cereals, breads and bagels - all adequate. Don't bother with valet parking - self-park is easy with a back entrance to the hotel from the parking garage.
Would I stay here again ... probably!

Very nice!

by TripAdvisor Member joparke

I visited this hotel for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. The staff was very attentive, called me by my name, we got a room on the 19th floor and had a wonderful view of the city. I used the gym, which was very good, good equipment with fruits and water and your personal TV with earphones! very nice. The pool is very small, and shallow, so I did not use it but I did use the jacuzzi.

The bathroom was clean and well appointed. The cable TV lacked some channels but it was ok. Room service was prompt and totally a nice experience. Problems/ errors on the bills was immediately cleared up. NB> The mini bar in the room is automatic, so once you touch the item (like taking it out to look at) it is immediately charged to your room! I brought cheesecake and tried to store it in the mini fridge and it moved the beers and sodas on the second shelf and it was on my bill the next day! But it was cleared, once I explained what happen.

Limited restaurants, but the breakfast buffet is very nice.

Cons: the phone at the front desk would ring a number of times before someone woudl answer and 2. the housekeeping came one morning at 8.45am to clean the room (NO LIE) but I guess that is because the hotel was sold out because of the music festival and the day before they did not clean the room till after 2.30pm!

WIill surely stay again if necessary.

Just Okay

by TripAdvisor Member minkidd

We spent 3 nights at the InterContinental. Just looking for a place to relax away from kids. The hotel was nice looking inside but felt rather cavernous. It is definitely a conference hotel. Of the 3 nights we stayed, the bar, which says it will stay open until 12, had last call at 10:15 p.m. There were approx. 10 of us at the bar and they didn't feel that was enough to keep it opened. We were disappointed since we don't like to drink and drive and didn't want to leave the hotel to have another drink. The room was nicely decorated and the pillows and towels were wonderful. The housekeeping left something to be desired. We had the "Do not disturb" sign on the door one moring until 11 a.m. When we got back at 1:00 p.m. the room was not cleaned. We called and said we would be out of the room for a few hours and asked to have the room cleaned. We got back from the tiny pool and found the rooms still not clean. Called again at 4, still not clean at 5:30. Called again and asked for clean towels and coffee. That is exactly what we got-no excuses or apology.
The 3rd night of our stay was better, there was a conference at the hotel so the bar stayed open and there were more people milling around. Overall, the hotel, although pleasant, felt like it was lacking in something. Will try other hotels in the same great location.

Disappointing Stay Overall....

by TripAdvisor Member rossbo1

Visited The Intercontinental over the weekend for a football game. While I got a very good rate from Hotwire.com ($78), the overall experience was disappointing. Unfriendly front desk staff, lumpy, old mattress, brand-new scratchy sheets (somewhat offset by nice, big down pillows), sorry shower head AND a $14 self-park fee (what a joke - build it into the rate Intercontinental management!!!). The location is "good", but access to the hotel on a busy one-way frontage road isn't too great...

OVerall, just a big business hotel with nothing great to recommend). Will definitely pass on a return visit....

Great Hotel next to the Galleria

by TripAdvisor Member Fuzzylogik

Just over a month ago, my wife and I attended a wedding hosted at the Intercontinental. We spent a long weekend there that weekend and came back a few weeks later for a concert that we attended. We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel and I can recommend the upgraded King room located on the corners of the property having stayed at both the base room (fine in its own regard) and the upgraded room.

The beds were comfy (although the pillows were a little large for my wife and my preferences; these were HUGE pillows!) and the shower was comfortable to access and had plenty of hot water regardless of the time you took your shower. Some previous reviewers have commented on a rude staff; I cannot comment on their stay, but I can comment on my own experiences. I found ALL of the staff that I interacted with to be friendly and helpful. The front desk was always slammed and while I did not leave feeling that I had made a new best friend, they were certainly courteous and professional -- everything I would expect from the front desk staff. The property itself was prestine during both of our stays there.

I do have a few complaints about the Intercontinental, but it is aimed more at the hotel industry, as the Intercontinental appears to be implementing what is more and more becoming the norm. I was surprised to have a surcharge of $20 for a second guest (my wife) over the base price when we checked out. Also one can choose to park their own car ($14/day) or valet ($25/day). Additionally, I will never understand why cheaper properties offer free internet access but nicer properties charge $10/day for access. I find these 'hidden' costs to be reprehensible, but they appear to be the norm.

Overall an excellent property. For Entertainment guide owners, this hotel is one of the 50% off rack rate hotels, which makes this one of the cheaper hotels in the Galleria area. My wife and I have stayed at the Renaissance in Downtown Houston on more than one occasion; give the choice between these two properties, we will select the Intercontinental.

Had a great time!!

by TripAdvisor Member AngryBaby

You must know that to this date I've been a 2-star guy. La Quinta/Red Roof Inn and the such are where I would always book. I now have a family, and these websites that let you pay over 50% off the normal rates have enabled me to take the plunge.

So now that you know my hotel history, let me say I loved this hotel. My wife and I stayed there and we were in awe. The lobby was huge, live pianist in the lobby, restaurant and bar. Front desk was very nice. Rooms were normal size and furnishings were a higher quality of the things you normally get: oak desks and armoire, etc.

The wetbar was waaayyyy overpriced but we partook in some champagne and Toblerone fun all the same. The parking was expensive ($14/night to self park if I remember correctly). Fitness center was adequate size and equipment was in great condition. Didn't try the pool/jacuzzi. Room service was also expensive but the breakfast we ordered on checkout day was fantastic.

I highly recommend this hotel, we thought it was fantastic, but keep in mind what we're used to.

Good business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Zelda_Aus

I stayed at the InterContinental for 10 nights whilst visiting my husband who was in Houston on business. Overall, the hotel was nice, modern and clean and a good place to stay if travelling for business.

The hotel is 2 blocks from the Galleria shopping centre, however my husband said not to walk there on account of a colleague of his getting mugged in the laneway that I would have had to walk down. The Houston weather is also so humid you really don't want to walk anyway. Renting a car is a must in Houston, as there's really no other way to get around.

The hotel room was a good size and the bed comfy. The biggest issue was the size of the bathroom....tiny for a 4 star hotel. When getting out of the shower or trying to dry my hair I was practically standing on top of the toilet!

Whilst the hotel was nice, after being there for 3 weeks, my husband decided to move us to an apartment to get some more space.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, though only for short term stays.

Comments