Scottish Inns Houston South

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Houston

Kemah boardwalkKemah boardwalk

The little train at Herman Park, Houston, Texas.The little train at Herman Park, Houston, Texas.

The Waterway & The Woodlands MallThe Waterway & The Woodlands Mall

Battleship TexasBattleship Texas

Is Katy Mills worth a visit?

by davidtc56

I'll be in Houston from 1-6 May and was planning on visiting Katy Mills. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get there by public transport from the Galleria area of Houston? Does a bus service run there from Houston? I guess the cost of a cab would be prohibitive...any help appreciated.

RE: Is Katy Mills worth a visit?

by seethemoon

Katy Mills is just another outlet mall. If that's what you're looking for then it's as good as the rest. There is a big outlet mall in Conroe (20 miles north of Houston) There is no way to get to Katy Mills other than car! A cab would be big bucks, you could rent a car cheaper.

RE: Is Katy Mills worth a visit?

by Honor24

Not worth it!

Travel Tips for Houston

Walking along the Bayou

by WFTR

Okay, I stretching to include this tip in the "Hiking" theme, but it fits no other button in the list.

On the far western end of Houston, the city has some nice paths along the Buffalo Bayou. The paths start at Hwy 6 where the Buffalo Bayou comes out of Barker Reservoir. They follow the bayou three or four miles towards the east to where the bayou crosses under Wilcrest (maybe Kirkwood). When I lived there, they were lengthening the paths and may have added more already.

These paths are not great outdoor adventure. I wouldn't recommend planning a trip to Houston to see them, but they are a nice place for someone staying in the area and looking to take a walk.

The path is about four feet wide and is fairly well paved. I rode a mountain bike with semi-slick tires along this path most of the time. The path is good enough that a road bike with narrow tires would be able to negotiate it. The big problems for any biking are crowded conditions, speed restrictions, and a few grouchy old ladies who walk their dogs and gripe about bicycles.

I've in-line skated the path once, and I had a rough time. Most skaters will generally be okay, but skaters also have to worry about the crowds, the speed limits, and the grouchy old biddies. When I went, I hit a seam in the concrete that sent me into a head-over-heels flip.

Bird watching is fair to moderate along the path. I've seen a couple of species of doves fairly often and some mockingbirds. Nearer the reservoir, I often saw snowy egrets and occasionally green herons. I think there are some sparrow species too, but most of my time on the path was spent on my bike and not looking for birds.

I would rank the girl-watching slightly below the bird-watching. (I won't try to rank the guy-watching because that's not my thing.)

Because VT has placed a word limit on these tips, I'll tell about access in a separate tip.

TRAFFIC

by texas-t

Things to beware of when driving around Houston - A Quick Note:

The Galleria Area:
Stay away from 8:30-10AM, from 11:30-1:00PM and from 4:00-7:00pm. Traffic out tha' yin-yang.

I-10: This freeway sucks ALL the time, including Saturdays and Sundays. I haven't figured out where the @*!&%! all those people are going on a Saturday at 9:30AM - but there they are.

Downtown: Again, SUCKS right now. Maybe I can delete this entry in a couple of years when the "upgrades" are done. But for now its potholes, construction, horrible parking and confusion. Try to take the trolleys in or walk a few blocks to the entertainment area.

Cafe Society

by topmarmot about Cafe Express

In Houston, people want instant gratification, so how to explain the fact that they're willing to stand in long lines at Cafe Express? Well, the broad range of the menu, the quality and the reasonable prices probably help, but I think the cafe society ambience has a lot to do with it, particularly at lunchtime.

Inside and outside tables are available. Roasted garlic! Just check you don't have any important meetings scheduled if you're going to indulge.

Pastas are good. Black bean soup is excellent. The sandwiches are pretty serious. Even the burgers are good, particularly the one with bacon and blue cheese. At the other end of the health spectrum, I enjoy the trio salad, small potions of 3 different salads for those who get bored easily with that kind of thing.

Aquarium

by eugini2001

Aquarium is the same size as most of them, but as an addition they have Bengal tigers there, it‘s fun to watch and learn something new about them. As most of aquariums they have petting area, where you can touch sea animals. Collection of animals is big and great! We always see and learn something new in places like this one . Its great for people that are touring Houston and even a great escape for Houstonians. It is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Shark tunnel is not that big, and ride is short. If you saw the same thing before it doesn’t worth 3 or 5$ per person, but if it’s your first time-go for it. We didn’t buy pass, it was cheaper to buy additional tickets for rides, because we had a company of 4,and didn’t want the same rides. We didn’t go to the restaurant on the second floor, since we were not hungry. My cousin said they are great, but I read a lot of negative reviews. But we visited gift shop and prices there were reasonable.

There’s no need to gamble on...

by tarush

There’s no need to gamble on the weather when visiting Gulf Greyhound Park. Live greyhound racing, simulcast horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering is offered year round, rain or shine. The track’s unique appeal includes Texas’ largest full-service restaurant — four levels of dining and race-viewing options — as well as 318 teller windows, 1,000 closed-circuit televisions and 800 parking spots.
Gulf Greyhound Park is open seven days a week with simulcast horse and greyhound wagering, with live racing Tuesday through Sunday. Evening races Tuesday and Thursday through Sunday; post time 7:30 p.m. Early Wednesday post time 6 p.m. Matinees are held Friday, Saturday and Sunday with a 1:30 p.m. post time. Also check out special events such as 50-cent Beer Think Thursdays, Friday Senior Citizen Lunch Buffet and the Wednesday Night Family Buffet.

Gulf Greyhound Park is located at Exit 15 off Interstate 45 South, just 20 minutes south of Houston and 15 minutes north of Galveston. For general information, call (800) 275-2946.

Comments