8415 Highway 6 South, Houston, Texas, 77083, United States
Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Houston

The BeastThe Beast

Sam Houston's horse at Herman Park, Houston, TexasSam Houston's horse at Herman Park, Houston, Texas

Houston AstrodomeHouston Astrodome

The Snow-White's casketThe Snow-White's casket

All kinds of questions

by AFields

I will be moving to Houston (with my sister and her daughter) in early August. She is looking at buying a house in Northwest Houston. I have been looking at a lot of job sites, but I'm clueless. I have an educational background in biology, but no desire to work in the field. I have been working in the human resource field for a year and a half now. I have administrative, HR and charity/volunteer experience. Any suggestions as to where to look or what companies are good to work for?

by glynnis

My husband and I just recently moved from NW Houston (Cypress) back to SC (our original home). We really loved the area. I had a friend with an education background that moved to Houston. She did not want to work with schools again so she signed on with a temp agency and found a great job near her home. It only took about 2 months for her to find a job that became a permanent position for her. I was a teacher and worked with HISD and Cy-Fair ISD so I really can't help you with other positions. I don't know where you are moving from, but keep in mind the traffic you will encounter in town. Where we lived traffic was not too bad. I worked near our home, but my husband drove into town. Luckily he worked long odd hours and did not encounter much traffic. Good luck in Houston! I hope you'll love it as much as we did.

by delcity

have you checked the forum on houston. several others have ask this question in the last few months.

by bowie1977

If you're looking at NW Houston and HR...the answer is very clear. Administaff is always looking for people, as is HP. Both are on the northside. Administaff is in Kingwood. HP is in the Cypress area.

Another option is Aquent: aquent.com.

Good luck.

Travel Tips for Houston

Pick your own fruit - King's Orchard

by CLillard

I went here with some friends and picked blueberries (when they were in season). I never liked blueberries, I was just going along for fun. But after tasting these blueberries, I loved them! I think during different seasons they have different fruit that you can pick.(strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and figs). After you're finished picking, you can go weigh and buy however much you want.

11282 County Road 302. Plantersville, TX 77363. Located near Plantersville, Texas on FM 1774. A 50 minute drive from downtown Houston.

Getting around Houston

by jjp76

Unfortunately, Houston has no real public transporation system.

The light rail, which will be completed in early 2004, will only serve those from downtown to Reliant Park. Although this includes the Museum District and the Medical Center, it does not include the Galleria area, NASA, and other outlying areas.

Though there is a bus system, you really need a car and a good map to get around in Houston.

The best situation is to know someone in Houston who can drive you to the places of interest.

Great Greek

by krackhorre about Niko Nikos

Niko Niko's is a wonderful little hole in the wall offering authentic Greek food at really low prices. The restaurant was once just a little stand with a drive thru window but the large amount of repeat business has kept Niko Niko's open for 20 years. The atmosphere is very laid back and the staff is extremely friendly and accomodating especially since they constantly have to deal with people who don't know how to pronounce the names of their dishes. Niko Niko's menu is huge and offers everything from Turulu Turulu to Keftedes. Whether you are a vegetarian or a devout carnivore if you love Greek food Niko Niko's will satisfy your palate. Spanakopita - spinach pie with loads of feta cheese.

Mousaka - eggplant, beef and potato layered and delicious.

Dolmathes - beef and rice stuffed grape leaves. Try them with Tzatziki instead of the lemon sauce you'll be very happy you did.

Fun and entertaining

by Segolily

We stopped here for lunch. There was a good feeling. Everyone was having a great time. Parking was a little difficult, can't imagine what it would be like when it was crowded. We walked up the boardwalk, played an arcade game, won a stuffed animal, debated taking the speed boat trip, but debated too long and they were full. So we went to Joe's Crab Shack where we were well fed, and treated well. On the way back to the car I spotted a wood carved pelican or 10 and had to stop at the little store there. Lots of fun things to buy, but I managed to only buy the pelican which came home with me as my carry-on to join my bear, owl and turtle carved wood.

Galveston Ferry

by XenoHumph

At the Eastern tip of Galveston island, there is a ferry that links Galveston to the next barrier island (well peninsula in this case!) along the Gulf of Mexico, Bolivar Peninsula. From the ferry, you have a great view on Galveston Bay, on the tankers, sailboats and all the possible boats crossing the bay. If you are lucky, you might see dolphins following the ferry! There is a ferry every 20 mn, 24 hours a day. A 15 minute cruise which is free and fun!

Comments