1100 Texas Avenue, Houston, Texas, 77002, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Nice Downtown Boutique Hotel

The Magnolia Hotel opened in 2002 in the old downtown Post-Dispatch building, which was built in 1926 by former Texas governor and Exxon founder Ross Sterling. The lovely 22-story hotel has a very trendy, modern decor; contemporary furniture and artwork ornament the lobby, and there is a quaint fireplace that is nice to sit by and have a chat, or just relax. The second floor is where the free continental breakfast is served, and there is a pleasant sitting area with a flat screen t.v., and a room with a pool table. Free wireless internet is also available in the lobby and second floor area. One great thing about this hotel is the pool, which is located on the roof of the building. I believe the pool is heated, which might be nice for a couple of months out of the year when Houston is in its very short winter season, and there is also a jacuzzi to relax in. The room was very nice, clean, and had an excellent modern decor, to compliment the hotel's boutique style. Everything in the room was very well kept, all of the furniture seemed as if it was brand new, which may have been the case. T.V. had standard cable channels and HBO, as well as pay-per-view movies. There is also free high-speed internet in the rooms, which is a great amenity! Bathroom was spotless; great white marble counters and large shower/bathtub. There is also a hair dryer and iron in the room if needed. Staff was top notch! They could not have been any more accommodating, with everyone from the front desk & bellmen to the waitstaff being very helpful, and just plain nice! Rate was relatively high for a weekend room in Houston, but for the location and quality of this hotel, I would say it was worth it.

Unique Quality: I would have to say that other than the hotel's great location, which is right in the middle of all downtown activities, my favorite thing about this hotel is its rooftop pool. It's not so much the pool itself as it is the excellent views of the city that you can take in up here!

Directions: Located downtown, at the corner of Texas Ave. and Fannin St.

More about The Magnolia Houston

Beautiful hotel

The magnolia is a beautiful hotel with amazing rooms. The included breakfast was fair at best and you are forced to use the valet parking due to the location. I would definately stay here again. The atmosphere lends itself to a great night sleep and an easy area of town to navigate from. The price was great even with the $20 per day parking fee.

Great Hotel for Business Travellers

New contemporary rooms, large bathroom, free continental breakfast, high speed internet included, 2 free drinks after work, Jazz music played from 5 - 9pm -- overall this is an exceptional hotel for the rate. It's an excellent choice for the single business traveller since there is lots to do inside the hotel and out. Great restaurants nearby. Only a block away from the LRT. I definitely will be a return visitor.

Great place to stay!

We had a very good experience at the Magnolia Hotel. We were only there for one night, and wished we could stay longer. We got it at a great rate - only $99 from their website.

The lobby was very soothing as we came in from the hot Houston almost-summer (100 degrees already, in May). They were playing some New Age jazz, which was very relaxing. There is an awesome wavy metal stairway from the second to third floors (visible from the first floor lobby), with interesting circular skylights above. The lobby is circular-shaped, and the walls are covered with big leather pads. There is a gas fire going at one end, with modern funky furniture in the center.

Our room was incredible! Very roomy, with a huge bathroom. The bed linens and furniture were modern and sleek - not your run-of-the-mill hotel floral bedspread and dresser. The bathroom had granite countertops set on top of a dresser-style cabinet. The bathtub was huge, with an outward-curved shower curtain which made the shower area seem larger. They offered plenty of big, fluffy towels, and there were two robes available for use. There was a granite-topped dry bar with a mini fridge and snacks, as well as an in-room safe.

Our room faced the windows of another very tall building, so if you care about what you see out your window, be sure to request a room that has a view.

We were not there during the happy hour (4-7pm on weekends), but we did make it for milk and cookies (9-10pm). They had a buffet set up on the second floor, with 5 or 6 kinds of big cookies, milk, coffee, and several types of tea. This was set up at the back of the bar, so people could order cocktails as well. There was a live band playing, so we got to eat milk and cookies and listen to great live music. The tables and chairs were eclectic and contemporary, including several sets of "love seats" where the two seating areas face opposite directions and have a small table attached on the outside of each side (to hold drinks... or cookies!).

The next morning, we went down for the complimentary continental breakfast (7-10am on weekends) on the second floor. It was actually quite good for a continental breakfast: muffins, breakfast breads, danishes, beautiful fresh fruit, cereals, a big bowl of granola, and yogurt, plus juices, coffee, and teas. They had a hot breakfast for $10 with custom omelettes and other warm items. We wandered around the second and third floors. The second floor has the "Magnolia Club" - where they have the bar and do happy hour, milk and cookies, and breakfast. To the side, they also have the Library - a large room filled with all kinds of books, sofas, chairs, and a conference table. The third floor is where they have their ballrooms and conference rooms.

There was gorgeous art on all the walls of the hotel - in the lobby, on the second and third floors, and also on the floors where the rooms were. Each art piece was identified with the artist's name, the name of the work, and the media.

On the top floor (23rd) is a workout room and the rooftop pool. The pool was smaller than it looks in the photos on their web site, but our daughter didn't care - she just loved splashing around and playing. They had classical music piped in, and the views were stunning.

The location was very convenient - right in the heart of downtown. We were able to park on the street for free - we found a metered spot (no meter fee on Saturday nights and Sundays) less than a block away.

We really loved this hotel and we will definitely stay here the next time we come back to Houston.

Love the Magnolia

by TripAdvisor Member jlkollar

The Magnolia is a super spot to stay, whether you are a tourist or in Houston for business. the hotel developers just did a fantastic job with the styling / design. the location is primo and what is most amazing, for such a classy hotel, is that they actually have a LAUNDRY facility. can you imagine? I can send my drycleaning out and expense it, but alot of clothing, i prefer to wash myself. And since I tend to stay in Houston for 4 or more days each trip, the Magnolia will be the ONLY place I stay at from now on. other bonuses: live jazz, happy hour, rooftop pool. they even brought us different pillows upon request. I haven't been this happy with a hotel since I stayed at the Grande Sukhumvit Sheraton (like Shangri-La) in Bangkok.

Not what I expected.

by TripAdvisor Member abh1234

I had seen pictures of the Hotel and they were very mis-leading. The pool is tiny and not alot of chairs. There were alot of Bees around the pool area because of the honey suckle plants around the pool. Also the pool area was very windy. The first room they put us in had no view and there was a dress on the floor beside one of the beds. They did move us w/out any problem.

I left my credit card at breakfast and when I called they kept transferring me to a voice mail. I left many messages and no call back. I called again and refused to be transferred but still no-one helped. I had to cancel the card.

Over all the stay was not great. I would not reccomend this hotel.

The hotel is very elegant and the room was beautiful

My husband and I booked a romantic getaway for my birthday, $99 for a king size suite. He even went as far as surprising me with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, only $56. We valet parked, $22. The total cost with room, taxes, parking, champagne and strawberries was $200. The hotel is very elegant and the room was beautiful. We made it to the happy hour, we grabbed our drinks and headed back to our room. We hung out by the pool, great view and yes it is very small. We missed the breakfast, but we were able to get a late check out. Irama's ($$$) for lunch is a must, it was open only because the Astros were playing. We went to Artista's ($$$$) for dinner, great view. But I really enjoy their lunch vs. dinner. Over all great room, but we like the Marroitt Courtyard Downtown way better.

terrible experience!! front desk has no clue, received a menu in the main dinning room (pages are stuck together by syrup), took forever to order. Had to wait 3 hours to check in... ughhhhh!

Wonderful Hotel - Great Price

by TripAdvisor Member GoAwaySoon

We stayed here for a weekend. We were in town for a wedding and all of the out-of-town guests stayed here. Warning - the directions on the web site from the airport aren't correct -- everyone we spoke with got lost getting there! Check-in isn't until 4 and they stick by it which is a pain, and the check-in people aren't that nice! The hotel itself though is very nice, new and clean. The room was big and spotlessly clean. Huge bathtubs - I wish I'd had time to soak in it! Very comfortable bed. And so quiet. The restaurant has good food. Late afternoon the service was very slow though. and they kept running out of spoons at the breakfast buffet. The elevators are agnonizingly slow - we ended up walking up 15 floors at one point because we got sick of waiting. Great room though for the price!

Unexpected Surprise

The Magnolia Hotel in Houston was more than we had bargained for, since we booked this one on the web for $99/ngt. over the Memorial day holiday.
Once we entered the front lobby with the piped in chamber music, hardwood floors and fireplace, and the ultra modern decour, we knew we were in for a treat.

The room was spacious, with a plush king size bed, well stocked mini-bar, and the bathroom provided a large oval tub with ceramic tile.

This hotel offers 23 floors, with pool, jacuzzi, banquet hall, library, billiards room, bar and lounge, and also offers a car service. The staff were friendly and provided ample information when asked about restaurants, shopping and places of interest. We were never awakened by the cleaning crew and only saw them once, which is very uncommon.

My boyfriend and I were so impressed with the Magnolia, that on our trip to Dallas we inquired about staying with them again, but since this location did not offer a pool and temperatures were expected to rise in the 90s, we decided against it.

The Magnolia Hotel leaves us with the sweet smell of adulation.....

Comments