1520 Texas Avenue, Houston, Texas, 77002, United States
Booking.com Westin.com Expedia.com

More about Houston

Hail on our door matHail on our door mat

Around Downtown.....I45Around Downtown.....I45

Fountain in Sam Houston ParkFountain in Sam Houston Park

Downtown HoustonDowntown Houston

High Crime Areas in Houston

by Tesaria48

I read your post on Central Square.What cross streets are near.Also I'm going to be staying at the Summit Inn at I45 & Old Spanish Trail.Is this area somewhat safe?

Re: High Crime Areas in Houston

by bocmaxima

Central Square is in Midtown. It used to be a bad area, but it's gotten much better in the past 5 years with condo development, the light rail, and other money being pumped in. The post you read may have been out of date.
I-45/Old Spanish Trail is a horrible neighborhood. If you're concerned about safety, I would strongly encourage you to change your reservation. You're not going to be able to walk around. Everything central (inside 610) in the southeast, northeast and east areas is bad.
Are you trying to stay close to UH?

Re: High Crime Areas in Houston

by plasma800

Agreed, that's a terrible place in town

Travel Tips for Houston

A Challenging City

by keeweechic

Houston was just really a one day trip for us, primarily to see the Space Centre and then move on to Galveston. We arrived mid morning and found our way to the Galleria and the Water wall first off. Navigating the city was a little tricky and you probably need to be a long time local to understand the logic in some of it.

While trying to find the Chinese Temple, we ended up on a section of freeway which took pride in holding on to its captives and not providing any off ramps. We were quite a way out before we could get off and try and then try and find our way back again - all the while running low on petrol and having to find a gas station as well. That little exercise (and I didn't mention the traffic) was enough to make us quit on the city and head straight for the Space Center - there was a time factor as well. So one day I may be brave enough to go back and see more of Houston.

Enchanted Christmas Cottage near Kemah Boardwalk

by Ken_Weaver

This beautiful Christmas store is not actually on the Boardwalk but is on the right hand side of the street leading to the walk. I want to point this out because, believe it or not, there is ANOTHER Christmas store right on the Boardwalk. I liked this one better because of it huge inventory and dramatic merchandising.

501 Bradford Ave
Kemah, TX 77565

9ers Grill

by Ewingjr98

We stopped at 9er's one afternoon for a late lunch after visiting the pool at my cousin's house. Though pretty quiet at this time of day, the large, clean restaurant served up a great meal. All three of us had the crawfish platter ($9) with a fountain drink ($1.50). The deep-fried crawfish tails were excellent, and much less work than a whole, boiled mud-bug!

9ers is a casual restaurant where you order at the counter then pick up your meal when they call your number, but it doesn't have a cheap feel since they use real china dishes and metal silverware.

Low Key Pizza Joint (For Those with Kids)

by msbrandysue about Double Dave's Pizza

The pizza here is awesome! I especially love the buffet on the weekends when you can taste the variety of pizza they have. One of the best things about this place is they serve beer! That way, if you're with the kids you can let them have fun while also enjoying yourself a bit :) But not too much!!

The ambience is very laid back. They have a few video games for the kids. They have nice, big televisions for the sports. The decor is very fun.

*This is a chain so make sure to call or visit the website to find the location nearest you.

**FYI, I took the pictures really late on a Friday night right before they closed ... You have to try the pepperoni rolls! They are delicious!!!

Transco Tower (Now Williams Tower)

by ATXtraveler

Built in 1983, at 901 ft., the Transco Tower was built as the largest structure outside of a Central Business District, which is still a fact today. It stands 65 stories tall, and is located just off highway 610.

It is now called Williams Tower after Transco was purchased by Williams Energy.

One of the most unique feats about this tower is that it was built in only 16 months, which was unprecedented for something that tall!

Comments