GuestHouse Inn Huntsville

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 92% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Huntsville

Funeral locationFuneral location

From the backFrom the back

Chillin on the visitor center porch swingChillin on the visitor center porch swing

postcard of the statue of Sam Houstonpostcard of the statue of Sam Houston

Travel Tips for Huntsville

Home of Sam Houston State University

by ATXtraveler

One of the things you should be aware with when visiting Huntsville is that it is home to Sam Houston State University. The reason this is important to remember is because the restaurants and area activities may be catered around when the University is in session. Make sure you verify early that the sights you want to see will be available on your visit.

For more information on Sam Houston State University, I have listed their website below.

An Unexpected Stop

by keeweechic

We hadn't actually planned to stop off in Huntsville and didn't really know anything about it but we had just stopped for breakfast and I saw a sign post saying Sam Houston Statue and decided to check it out. The sun rising along the way was just lovely.

Wall of Faces - S.W. Houston Cultural Ctr

by der_geograf

This is one tangible mark I've left on my hometown. Near downtown, (1604 10th Street to be exact) there's the Samuel Walker Houston Cultural Center, which has a small museum dedicated to Huntsville's African American history. Outside the museum is a white, curved wall with the casts of dozens of faces of the city's black residents of all ages, completed in 1995.

My face is one of them, so go there and see if you can point me out. (Keep in mind, I was in high school when it was done.) Inside the museum, there are photos and other historical items of the Huntsville area's racial past (which was surprisingly violent according to stories that have been handed down through the generations, including lynchings).

Sam Houston's Steamboat House

by ATXtraveler

Since Texas has flown under Six Flags during its history, one of the more important and influential times was the period in which Texas was ruled by the Confederate States of America. During the time in which Texas fell under this rule, Sam Houston was Governor, however he would not sign his allegiance to the CSA, and therefore he moved from the capital to Huntsville. During this period, Sam was not in the best of financial sorts, and purchased the Steamboat House, since his prior larger estate was not financially possible.

Huntsville Visitor's Center

by grandmaR

After I found Sam Houston's grave (I didn't have my maps with me because I had not intended to visit Huntsville on that day) we continued to look for the fabled 77 foot tall statue of Sam Houston. At the cemetery there was a map which showed the Sam Houston Museum and the Visitor's Center.

So based on my memory of the map that I had glanced at, we went south on Highway 75, which paralleled I-45 looking for the Visitor's Center. This was the last place I thought the statue might be. Soon we did come to the Visitor's Center and the statue which is out on I-45. Even though the visitor's center was closed, we stopped and I took some pictures.

If we had gotten there earlier, we could have found an assortment of visitor information including videos, brochures, maps. There is also a souvenir Gift Shop.

Hours of Operation
Monday-Saturday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Weekends March through May - Open until 6:00 p.m.

Information is also available at the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce and Convention & Visitors Bureau, 1327 11th Street (800 number under 'Other')

Comments