4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 80% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa

wonderful family resort

by TripAdvisor Member angie10

We just stayed at the Hyatt Lost Pines resort in Bastrop, TX outside of Austin. We absolutely loved the property and cannot wait to go back. There is not one complaint I have about the hotel. The staff was excellent! My husband and I went with another couple (they actually booked the trip-she is a travel agent) and we got the rooms mixed up. They were supposed to be on the concierge level with the regency club membership. Instead of asking us to switch, my friend asked at the front desk if they could just stay in their room and have the same rate, including the regency club membership and they allowed it! I will start with the overall property. It is rustic decor, but elegant, yet feels like home. There is a lazy river pool with a water slide that looks like fun. We went in February so we were unable to try it out. They also have an adult pool, and another pool at the spa. The property sits on a river, which is beautiful. You can canoe or kayak on the river, horseback ride, bike, or go on nature walks throughout the property. The golf course looks really beautiful. My husband and his friend played and are looking forward to going back. The spa . . . . where do I start? My friend and I had a 90 minute massage that was the best I have ever had. Their facility was perfection! The women's locker area was very elegant, but fit in perfectly with the rest of the property. We were each given a locker and robes. We made use of the sauna and steam room. There was also a hottub. We were led into the women's relaxation room where we waited until our massages, then we ended up staying there afterwards as well. We ordered out lunch there and it was brought in on a beautiful cart - we felt like queens! They also provided water, hot tea, coffee, cocoa, nuts and fresh fruit. We truly relaxed!!!
Our rooms were wonderful as well. My husband and I went to Kauai this last summer and stayed at the Hyatt there and it was every bit as nice, if not nicer. The rooms were impeccable - it was truly a treat.
We were able to go to the Monarch room because of our regency club membership (which you purchase with your room). They provide breakfast from 7-10am, then snacks from 10-5pm, and then beer, wine and cocktails(you make your own) as well as hors'd oevres (sorry, I know that is misspelled!). The breakfast was plentiful - even for the guys and the midday snacks included some delicious cookies that are homemade on the property. They provide plenty of beverages and quite a variety. I would certainly do that again!
I can't wait to go back with my kids. There was so much to do for children. S'mores at night by the firepits, camp during the day, swimming, horseback riding, etc, etc, etc. In fact, we are thinking about changing our family vacation from San Diego to Lost Pines this summer! This is a resort that couples can enjoy, as well as families!

Nice resort, decent place for business meeting

by TripAdvisor Member Catwoman62

I spent three nights at this resort in early November for a company meeting. Overall, it was a very positive experience with a few negatives.

Seven of us from my group arrived at the same time for check-in, which was handled quickly and efficiently. I had a king room on the 4th floor (#4206) overlooking the butterfly garden (no balcony). A fair hike from the front desk. The flat panel tv was a nice touch. I'm somewhat surprised at the reviewer who said they expected a larger bathroom – true, the toilet wasn't in a separate closet, but the bathroom itself was much larger than many other hotels in which I've stayed. I particularly appreciated having a separate shower stall from the tub. There was a separate, well-lit vanity near the front door with a stool. This is also where the coffee service and ice bucket were kept. A small refrigerator is in the chest of drawers – no mini-bar. I kept my own soda in the frig, and even some leftover pizza one night. There was also a small safe in the chest of drawers. The bed was very comfortable, with tons of pillows. The easy chair with ottomon was also comfortable, although a side table would have been nice. I did find the desk chair to be uncomfortable. It was on rollers, but there was no height adjustment. Internet access was quick and easy, and at $9.95/day, quite in keeping with most other facilities. I purchased a ½ bottle of wine (a split) from one of the stores downstairs, and asked for a corkscrew. Room service arrived with a basic plastic corkscrew, and balloon wine glass within 15 minutes. Of course – I was drinking white wine, which was inappropriate for that type of glass, but it was a nice gesture.

The meeting rooms were comfortable, and well-lit. The food was about average compared to other business meetings I've attended. Our very experienced meeting-planner said the food was average to above average in her experience, but that it seemed that many of the people with whom she dealt were working at their first hotel job. We had three dinners on-site, each of them outside, and each at a different location. The first night was too dark to appreciate what we were eating. The second and third nights were in much better-lit covered pavilions. The brisket was particularly good. The Southwestern clam chowder served at lunch one day was outstanding, as was the “local sausage” served one morning.

I cannot say enough about how friendly the staff were. Every time I passed someone in the hallway they smiled and greeted me, and it seemed sincere. At our third dinner, someone at my table gestured a bit too wildly with his arm and knocked over a glass of red wine, all down his brand new shirt. The bartender was there with a small bottle of club soda within 15 seconds.

I had one spa treatment – I inquired at the front desk about how to find the spa and they quickly offered to have me driven over in a golf cart (it's a fair hike). I also got a ride back to the front desk afterwards. The spa treatment was fine. It was the first I've ever had (a facial), so I have no basis for comparison. I also saw the bowl of reading glasses, as a previous reviewer mentioned, which I thought was a nice touch.

Negatives – cell phone service was sporadic. I have T-mobile, and experienced few problems. My colleagues with Verizon had extremely poor service. The resort is quite a ways from 'civilization'. They did have wi-fi access, but again – many of my colleagues had issues connecting via cell phone, or internet. There were still some people working on carpeting, lighting fixtures, etc. so the facility is still not entirely 'done', but overall I thought it was lovely. I know a number of our attendees checked out the bar, and had a good time, including shuffleboard, but I did not.

Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member b2buck

We stayed here for 5 nights recently for a meeting. Other than the location being a ways from Austin it is a very nice resort. We have never been to a hotel with better staff than this one. Every single person we interacted with was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was clean and good sized. The hotel is a bit strung out and you certainly get your exercise going from the room to the cental areas. I used the golf course which was nice but it will be a lot nicer in a few years when it has had a chance to develop. The food is pretty pricy here. $16 for breakfast buffet, $10 for a hot dog and $4 for a bottle of water at the golf course.
Bastrop was a whole lot of nothing. Don't waste your time.

Sister to Hyatt Hill Country

by TripAdvisor Member mmtours

This resort is set off the main road a few miles but once you finally maneuver the winding road leading up to the resort, you are set. Lovely setting, right on the Colorado River with many hiking trails surrounding the resort. The golf course at the resort, WolfDancer, is beautiful, although somewhat difficult. Several eating options at the resort. Other eating establishments located in nearby Bastrop (about a 15 minute drive from the resort). I did not experience the spa, although the treatments looked great. If you have been to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio, then this resort will look very familiar to you - same developers. And it is set up the same way. Large pool area, with 3 or 4 hot tubs and the lazy river similar to the Hill Country. Tip for the golfers: the greens fee is $145.00 for hotel guests but drops to 79.00 at twilight (1:00pm). Prices in the bar are somewhat high. The room was very comfortable - with flat screen HD TV's. Large bathroom with separate shower. I would recommend this resort for just a weekend getaway, for a group of golfers, or, based on their meeting services, a great place for a conference. This resort is not cheap, but very comfortable. Your experience may rest on how much you pay for your room. Enjoy!!

It's like camping with room service

by TripAdvisor Member La_Chocolata

My husband and I spent our New Year's Eve celebration with Lost Pines and had a very relaxing stay. We turned off 71 onto the 2 mile pine tree lined driveway on the Saturday before New Year's Eve. As we finally reached the resort, we were immediately moved by the historically informed architecture of the main building. Music was piped into the unloading area, so it had a Disneyland feel--but in a good way. We checked in and sampled the fresh cookies and cider in the entry, and then walked to our room that faced the courtyard.

We sat on the patio and had a drink from the stock we had brought with us and stored in the mini fridge. Children played on the playscape under the enormous trees in the courtyard, and for a second I felt worried that we'd be hearing the pitter patter of children for our whole stay. But instead we closed the sliding door and didn't hear a peep.

Children were jumping and hopping and riding bikes with their families all over the resort, so I'd advise against this resort if you have any problem or issue with kids. My husband and I don't have children yet, but intend to and are both comfortable talking about the future. I'd imagine a guest here couldn't help but thinking about kids in some way or another with all the youngsters around.

Personally, I DO sort of hate and fear teenagers, so when I went to the "Adults Only" Whirlpool in the pool complex and found it boiling over with scary looking, MTV watching, teens, I had a pit in my stomache. But I walked over to the towel, raft and bike check out area and told the staff about the teens in the spa. I half expected the staffers to pishaw me, instead they immediately went to the spa area and made the teens leave. Then, my husband and I enjoyed the sunset in the warm relaxing water.

Until I got the bright idea to jump into the lazy river pool....a winding pool with jetted currents to mimic river currents. I grabbed an inner tube and began under the waterfall. The water was heated, but it was about 50 degrees outside, so it still felt cold. Nonetheless, I was determined to go around the windy loop. My husband jumped on the tube too, and he kept crying hypothermia! We got back into the spa and decided to come back to the lazy river in the spring. It was just a bit too cold in January. But, there's a waterslide too that we'll want to try.

Another high point for us was hiking at McKinney Roughs. We followed a 3/4 mile path along the Colorado River into McKinney Roughs State Park, and then walked for another hour or so. We saw cattle on the other side of the river (obviously free range) and many many birds....especially hawks. It was beautiful and serene. My husband and I love hiking and camping, so it was neat to hike for a few hours and then return to the resort. We got hot chocolates from the general store and warmed up in the big well lit lobby by the fireplace.

We had the good fortune of going to the Homestead Resort in Virginia a few years ago, which is one of the oldest world class luxury resorts in the country. Lost Pines definitely evoked that old world feel with little touches like the library bar stocked with board games, rocking chairs on the porches, and fireplaces through out the public areas of the resort. We didn't visit the spa this visit, but look forward to it next time. It's in a "gypsy guitar" theme...ala Django Rheinhart, so it seems fitting for Austin.

There were only a few things that were a little bit off at Lost Pines. The first night we had dinner at the lesser expensive restaurant, and the service was lackluster, not outrightly bad, but it took a long time to get bread or water and the server seemed to be burdened to have our table. Everyone else at Lost Pines was more than happy to help us with anything, staff said hello in the hallways and were genuinely glad to make our stay pleasant. The restaurant staff just seemed to be tired or stressed or something.

We didn't have a lot of interaction with the restaurants because we brought a picnic basket with goodies for breakfast and lunch. From reading the reviews on this site, I just couldn't see paying almost $50 for breakfast. But with the mini fridge, it worked well to bring along some sandwhich stuff and french bread. We sat on the patio for breakfast and it was lovely. We also brought our own booze to avoid high resort charges for drinks. This also made the stay fun. We only live in Austin, so it wasn't anything to bring some treats along.

For New Year's Eve, we had a great time in the pavillion by the river listening to some great country music and walking the grounds from fire pit to fire pit. We had s'mores by the fire pit for dessert after a buffett dinner that was part of the package. The music during dinner was great, but the food was not good. I live in Austin, so I eat a lot of barbeque. The barbequed meats they served at the buffett were not on par with even the most low key bbq joint in the area. So many other things about the resort are right on the money to evoke a feeling of Central Texas, rafting on the river, the architecture, history, etc. The barbeque should really be at the same level....we Texans take bbq very seriously.

Finally, check out was a little chaotic. A lot of people were leaving at the same time and the parking valet/baggage handling was a little disorganized. But, again, we waited in the big lobby on one of the comfortable sofas and cuddled, so it wasn't an irritating wait. In fact our valet guy had been the bellboy who brought our bags to our room, and he remembered us and asked about our stay. So that was a nice end to the weekend.

We definitley want to go back, and maybe even bring our doggies next time. We learned that if we paid a $100 fee per room we could bring dogs. I really liked Lost PInes and felt so relaxed leaving there. Reflecting on my critique of the service in the restaurant, I think that our waitress might have been a little out of her element there. The clientele at Lost Pines arrive in BMW's and Mercedes, etc. The surrounding area of Bastrop is more a 10 year old Ford kind of town. I think with a little more time, everyone on staff will get comfortable with the expectations of the guests.

Enjoy Lost Pines!

Nice resort with sort of a Disneyland Conference Center Texas theme

by TripAdvisor Member klarkent

This is a nice new resort outside Austin Texas with good service. The rooms are nicely decorated. The bathroom has a separate shower and tub. The public areas remind me of hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort with a Texas theme. This is defiantly a place for a family weekend get away or a large corporate meeting. Beware there are tons of kids. This resort is expansive and maze like, so bring your walking shoes, and a map to find your room.

I gave this hotel a terrible rating due to the following.
As a Hyatt Diamond member I get a free upgrade. I was told the room had a view, with a balcony. Well the view was of a bare oak tree, oh whoopee! The balcony was odd, seemed crammed by the two balconies next store. I was not convinced this was an upgraded room. My room key never seemed to work. After walking 15 minutes from the parking lot, though this maze like hotel, I would end up wasting 10 minutes trying to get into my room. The front desk issued new keys, and they still hardly worked. At this place it takes forever to walk to your room. When you get there you want to get in it, I hope you can understand my frustration. The Regency Club needs some work, warm drinks, and the food was so so.

For Texas the area is nice, there are large oak trees, and a few speed bumps they call hills. Most of the pines are planted, and the river is not too exciting. The city of Bastrop is just a few miles away nice, cute, quite, small, Texas town; go to Austin if you’re looking for some energy. I had planned to stay 3 days here but quickly changed it to one. Coming from Northern California I was sort of disappointed, the area really was not that stunning. I have no idea why they would build a resort here other than to host large meeting, and events. To me it seemed more like a high-end conference center than a resort.

Really, really great for families and conventions (but... )

by TripAdvisor Member andrewsw

If you have an active family that loves big swimming pools (with their own winding "river"), horseback riding & golf, or if you're planning a convention that requires a beautiful setting not far from Austin, this is your resort.
It is beautifully done. The architecture is simple but really great-looking, with lots of wood and stone. The setting is 2 miles off the highway (!), down a winding 2 lane road through gently rolling hills and forests (there are even a few pines trees along the way). The resort fronts a long stretch of the Colorado River. There are no other structures (other than the hotel) in sight. When the place was empty (which is rare, apparently), it was so peaceful and relaxing. Just amazing. I loved it! Alas, the next night, the conventions rolled in. It still felt relatively empty (it's a big, sprawling hotel), but evidently when the vacationing families come in as well, it can be nonstop action. The hotel is split 70/30 convention/family, with the rooms near the meeting rooms usually filled up with conventioneers, and the rooms by the pool filled with families.
The rooms themselves are a little too "country" for me, with four poster beds that you can really injure yourself on (the low posts by the foot of the bed are oddly sharp). But they are large and most come with a balcony.
I read some comments about it feeling like "Disneyland," and I get it. But only in the best way possible. It's not an authentic country setting, it's a yuppified country setting. And at these prices, it should be a little polished.
One note to families... the pools aren't heated, so even if it's in the 80s (as it was when I visited) in winter, the water temperature was 65. Too cold for anyone to go in. I'm sure in summer, it's not a problem.
As for the location, it's only about 20 miles out of Austin, on a relatively uncrowded 4 lane highway.
They've done a great job with this place. I lucked out and it was relatively empty when I visited, but I wouldn't come back during spring break or summer or whenever it's overrun with screaming children. If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing time and you don't have a family or aren't participating in a convention, only go when it's empty. If you get lucky and this place is not booked up, it's a really wonderful place to stay.

Too Expensive

by TripAdvisor Member clues

Spring break with family. We usually go the Westin La Cantera or Hyatt Hill Country in San Antonio, but thought we would try something new. Booked the room through the Hyatt web page, very pleased with ease of booking. AAA rate was $340. Requested ground floor room near pool.

We arrived at the hotel at 4:30, room was not ready, no indication when it would be ready. No big deal, hotel was obviously busy with spring break families. Went to the pool, ordered a margarita and a coke. Margarita was $10, coke was $4.50, not including service charge. Bad omen.

Room ready in half hour, very nice, brand new, huge bathroom. It was on the ground floor, but about as far from pool as possible. I was not disappointed, just guessed the pool side rooms were probably more expensive.

We ordered room service for dinner and we were very pleased with the food. Very good selection and variety. Expensive, but so is all room service.

Breakfast buffet the next morning was wonderful. Highlight of the trip, really. $18 for adults, $9 for kids. Not bad for what we got.

It rained all day, so we hung out in the room and watched movies. They had lots of kid activities going on at the hotel.

We did not play golf because of the rain, but I have played here before and it is a first rate golf course.

The pool is awesome. Lazy river, like Hyatt Hill Country, and several interconnected pools.

The staff was very friendly, across the board. Very well trained courteous staff. The waitstaff at the pool were especially friendly and responsive.

We checked out a day early because of the rain, and the front desk was very friendly about the early check out.

Other notes -- there are tons of activities, including horseback riding. But, the rides cost $100 per person (and up for longer rides). It would have been $500 for my family.

I can see this being a fantastic place for a business meeting, but it was really just too expensive for an extended family visit. We will probably return next year to the Westin LaCantera.

Don't Bother- just go to the Hill Country Inn

by TripAdvisor Member tim35144

The most often repeated phrases from the Lost Pines staff were: "I'm sorry", "I don't know" and "I'm about to go on break". This was by far the worst Hyatt Resort experience we have had. We've been to the Wild Oak Ranch, repeatedly to the Hill Country Inn and other Hyatts near and far with nothing but good experiences to remember our stays by. Rather than Lost Pines, this Hyatt should be called Lost Customer Service. Our check in was delayed and mishandled. We had to change rooms as our 1st one had a view of the parking lot and no balcony. At 2:10 in the morning the fire alarm went off due to a thrown breaker and no one ever made an announcement over the PA system that it was a false alarm and we could all go back to bed. Our food and drink charges were wrong; over charged, under charged and staff could not explain why. Two servers told us, on two different
occasions that we had to close our bar tab because they had to go on break. We also sat for about 10 minutes before we finally waived down the attention of one of the servers who had pass
us by at least two times previously. Service over all was very
poor to non-existent. Just go to the Hill Country Inn.

Great hotel; expensive but worth it

by TripAdvisor Member lonemesa

We drove up the 2-mile driveway to Lost Pines and could not believe how beautiful everything was....from the grounds to the resort to the rooms. This hotel has only been open 9 months so not everything is ready yet but we still had an excellent time. Our family of 4 (girls ages 7 & 9) enjoyed the pools, lazy river, hiking the trails, riding bikes, and the s'mores & cocoa every night. Lots to do here, but it is expensive. We paid $280 a night for our 4 night stay. Restaurants are ok but expensive.

We had most meals in nearby Bastrop (roughly 15 min. drive). Try Nancy's Steakhouse and also Maxine's Cafe for real Texas home cooking. We drove in to Austin on the day it rained (roughly 25 min.).

The staff was wonderful; everyone was SO friendly. Tried the Spa and it was great too!

Our girls brought their razor scooters and had a blast circling the property.

One word of warning.....the bottled water in the room is $4.00. My kids removed the label stating this and I thought it was complimentary. Ouch! Other than that, we had a great stay!

Comments