3815 21st Street, Lubbock, Texas, 79410-1027, United States

Travel Tips for Lubbock

Lubbock, Texas

by John_P_LSU

Heather and myself at the Cap Rock Winery, just south of Lubbock, Texas

I had a nice trip to the Texas Panhandle in November 1999. I flew to Dallas-Love Field on Thursday night and got off there (I skipped the 2nd leg of the flight to Amarillo). My friend Heather, who lives in Dallas, picked me up and we went out to a blues joint in the Highland Park (I think) district. We got up early the next morning and headed west through Fort Worth, then stopped in Abilene to look around and have lunch. We continued on to Sweetwater and checked out an interesting museum there, then headed northwest on US-84. We made it to Lubbock where we toured the Cap-Rock Winery and sampled a lot, and I bought some Merlot. Then we went to her parents house on the outskirts of Lubbock and relaxed for a bit, got changed, and went out on the town.

We got up on Saturday morning and headed off to campus to watch the Oklahoma - Texas Tech game, which was pretty good and featured a bunch of great plays. Tech won after a 2nd half comeback which made all of the Red Raider fans (including Heather) very happy. After checking out the Buddy Holly statue and downtown Lubbock, we went back to the winery to get some more "products." I was pretty beat after all that so we went back to her parent's and watched the Florida - Florida St. game, ate an awesome home-cooked meal, and then watched the auburn - alabama game. We were going to hit Lubbock's Depot District after that, but were pretty relaxed and ended up watching a movie and turning in.

Sunday morning, we headed north to Palo Duro Canyon which is a state park and the 2nd largest canyon in the U.S. It was truly awesome but since I've never seen the Grand Canyon, I can't really compare the two.

Next, we continued north to Amarillo where we checked out Cadillac Ranch, which was.... well, I don't know what to say about seeing one of the true icons of "Road Trip Americana" in person, but I'm glad we made it there.

Finally, while killing time waiting for my flight home, we checked out the Helium Monument and drove a good bit on Historic Route 66 in Amarillo

Click here for Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma football game travelogue