Marshall was settled in 1839 and became the seat of Harrison County in 1842. When Texas seceded from the Union in 1861, Marshall was one of the biggest and wealthiest cities in the state. When Missouri joined the Confederacy, federal troops were sent in to forcibly keep that strategically located state under Union control. The Confederate government of Missouri fled the state and set up its capital in exile in Marshall. This was not the only role Marshall played during the War Between the States. Marshall's factories produced saddles, harnesses, clothing, powder, and ammunition for the South's war effort. After the siege and fall of Vicksburg, Mississippi, Marshall became the seat of all civil authority west of the Mississippi River. It also served as the headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederate Postal Service.
Marshall, located in the piney woods of East Texas with intersecting US Hwys. 59 and 80 and Interstate 20, is near Caddo Lake and the Louisiana border. It offers much in the way of scenic beauty with its tall stately pines, rolling hills, pine thickets and abundance of wildflowers. There is only a community of 25,000 people but there are more than 100 historical markers and medallions with several listed in the National Register of Historical Places, in the area.
Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.© keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)