Mineral well is more like it
"why it's named Mineral Wells"
In 1877, James As Lynch, his family and 50 head of livestock left Denison, Texas, and headed west for a drier climate--and thus relief from malaria. Both Mr. Lynch and his wife, Armanda, suffered from rheumatism. When the family got news of Comanche attacks further west, they decided to settle down where they were, in a valley tucked among the hills of Palo Pinto County.
Although the location the Lynch family decided to settle in was quite beautiful, it was four miles from the only water source, the Brazos River. By the summer of 1880, a well driller named Providence agreed to drill a well in exchange for some of the Lynch family’s oxen. At first, the water’s funny taste worried the family, so they watered their livestock with it for a time to test its safety. Soon after the family began to drink from the well, they found they were feeling better.
News of the “healing” water spread quickly. Neighbors began trying the water, and within a month strangers were showing up on the Lynch property, asking about the water. Almost immediately people were coming by the thousands to try this magical drink. Lynch’s well produced 100 gallons per day, so he was forced to have guests sign a declaration affirming that they were sick and in need of the water. With the popularity of the water spreading, the town of Mineral Wells was laid out in the fall of 1881, with Mr. Lynch naming himself the first mayor. Now, there's only one working well in Mineral Wells.
"Us Army Cavalry Post: Camp Wolters"
In 1925, Washington gave a grant to Brigadier General Wolters to build a training site in Mineral Wells for the mounted cavalry in Texas. This camp was named Camp Wolters and became the training site for the mounted cavalry guardsmen.
During World War II, Old Camp Wolters housed German prisoners of war from North Africa. In 1945, when the war ended, both old and new Camp Wolters were deactivated.
The National Guard sold Old Camp Wolters in 1965 to the Pratt brothers, who gave the majority of the property to nonprofit groups and the Mineral Wells Independent School District. Just east of Mineral Wells High School today is the original headquarters of Old Camp Wolters. Only one small rock building remains. It is maintained by the school district.