4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about La Torretta Del Lago Resort and Spa

A stunning remodel - the place looks and feels amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member USNavy1

Stayed for a night back in March. (I was hesitant to go, since I had been to the old Del Lago several years back. I couldn't shake the image of the dingy wall-paper and the musty smell of the old place...) The new La Torretta del Lago is absolutely gorgeous. Great views of the lake and a nice new pool and lazy river area. There's also a small marina with rentals available. The main restaurant is incredibly well-done. There's a great wine cellar and awesome views of the lake. There's a private room in the kitchen (available by reservation) where diners can watch the chef prepare the expensive but tasty gourmet cuisine. My mom was with me and commented that the hotel was the nicest hotel she had ever seen. I agree. The decor is contemporary but not clinical - it's very comfortable and fresh. The service was excellent, the staff was friendly. I am concerned for this place, though. I was there on a nice weekend over spring break. The weather was gorgeous and Lake Conroe was alive and well with spring break liesure boaters, jet skiers, etc. But the hotel was dead. Not a soul in sight. This is a great hotel - I recommend you go and support the updated hotel!

I love this place!

by TripAdvisor Member hannahparamore

This was my first trip to La Torretta Del Lago Resort & Spa. Although I had some knowledge of the resort nothing prepared me for how truly wonderful the property is. I love the modern decor. It is obvious that much care and concern went into this renovation (I've seen pictures of the old Del Lago - yuck!). In many new resorts you get the feeling that the developers were trying to reach a certain level of quality but just missed it. Not here. La Torretta is wonderful from top to bottom.

The rooms may be my favorite of any I've ever stayed in, and I'm a hotel snob. The bed and linens are to die for. Love,love, the balcony and the furnishings in the living room. And that crazy little coffee pot!

I spent an afternoon in the spa and had one of the best experiences of my life there, especially with the lady who gave me the facial. Highly recommended!

I spent the next morning at the fitness center. It's light and airy and the equipment is top-shelf. The staff was very accommodating and you could tell they love working there.

The pool area just defies explanation. It looks like so much fun from the balcony and there is something for everybody. But what impressed me most is the ability to get away from the chatter of the children and find an adult spot by the larger pool. And that pool is wonderful. There is staff there to provide towels, bring you drinks and advise you on lunch. I had a hamburger that was cooked outside on a grill and it was divine.

Then I went jet-skiing. WOW! The lake was warm and beautiful. One of the most fun moments I've had recently.

Chez Roux. There are not the words to adequately describe this little jewel. It's right on the lake and the coolest thing happens when it gets dark. The first thing you seen when you walk in the restaurant is this magnificent wine 'cellar' although it's not a cellar. It's a room with glass walls and bottles of wine from floor to ceiling. So you walk past that to the area where the tables are, and when the sun goes down the glass wall facing the water picks up the reflection of the wine bottles. It's as if they are floating on Lake Conroe. Mixed with the lights of the houses on the opposite shore of the lake the picture is ethereal. Beautiful. And that's exactly what the food is like. Amazing. And the service is the best I've ever experience.

This is the perfect place for a family vacation or a business trip. It is at least as good - and in many ways better than - a beach resort.

You'd better get there fast. All of Texas will soon be buzzing about this jewel.

Good local trip for kiddos

by TripAdvisor Member tswctf

We went to La Torretta for 2 days over Spring Break. It was very nice and you could see they have spent a lot of money updating this place. But, they have a lot of work to do to if they want to come up to the type of resort they're apparently aiming for. Here is the good, the bad and the ugly:

The Good--The rooms were REALLY nice and brand new. The room rate is really reasonable for what you get. The bathrooms and showers were large and great. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and a separate sitting room, which was great with the kids. The pool area is fantastic. The kids loved the water park and we spent 99% of our time out there. I walked through the spa and it also looked very nice. The location of the resort is also nice if you just want a quick getaway close to town.

The Bad--Despite the booking rep telling me otherwise, the place is just not finished yet. No landscaping to speak of and it there were still work crews and paint smells everywhere. It did not say "wow" to me when I drove up--a lot of dirt and stuff everywhere. Also, it was apparent the staff was new. One bartender even told us that they had rushed to open it for Spring Break and it was rather chaotic. Apparently, the bartenders need more training on making drinks. If you charge $8 for a cocktail, it should be a good one! Margaritas by the pool were also substandard at best.

The Ugly--We did not eat at the new fancy restaurant because we had small children with us and they require men to wear a jacket. Seems a little silly to me for Lake Conroe--they ought to just say "resort wear". My husband wears Hawaiian shirts and flip flops for Spring Break...BUT we did eat at the pool restaurant and at the sports bar/steakhouse, which were both absolutely horrible. The hamburgers and hot dogs at the pool were okay for the kids, but I had a steak from the steakhouse that was inedible. Worse, we ordered shrimp cocktail and the shrimp were bad--you could smell them from across the room. It wasn't just us--there were other tables that sent them back as well. Nothing chaps me more than paying over $100 for a meal that I can't even eat. Given the state of the shrimp cocktail, we were not brave enough to venture to the sushi bar. Also, the "beach" is not a beach, it is a dug out swimming hole surrounded by mud and dirt--there is a reason there is no picture of this "beach" on the website!

villa's

by TripAdvisor Member karen9921

We have visited Del Lago on many weekends. We have always chosen to stay at the lake villas. The rooms have always been extremely clean. Front desk has always been quick to get the help needed, if they couldn't resolve the issue. There is more training needed though with check in/out. We have often desired to stay at the towers, but because of the parking situation, we choose to stay at the villas. I have an expensive car and one would think that with valet parking you would get covered parking, not a spot in a field that has no guards to watch over the vehicles.

Security is very professional, but feel as though it is taken to the extreme.

We have only eaten breakfast there, and the food was good. Verfy courtious staff.

We have a boat and planned on parking it behind the villas, but the water level is much to low. The grounds at nightfall is a bit dangerous. There is no lighting and some pretty deep holes in the ground. All of the lights at the boat piers are broken. Lighting is needed badly. I would also recommend some kind of fish cleaningi station in the back since there are no kitchens. I have seen on many occasions families back there fishing, and not knowing what to do next without water, or station to clean. Garbage cans are also needed on the premises.

Terrific Spring Break Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member houstonmomof2

Hotel was gorgeous. Rooms very spacious & luxurious. Loved the big bath & shower. Flat screen tvs in living area & bedroom! Incredibly friendly & attentive staff. Had an incredible spa experience. Fabulous, although a big pricey, breakfast buffet. Kids had an absolute BLAST at the waterpark/pool area. We knew they were still working on the landscaping & beach area, but we thought more shade was needed by the pools. Also need more family friendly dining. Overall, it was a perfectly wonderful vacation!

New Improved Great waterpark resort

by TripAdvisor Member tlglaze

We had a wonderful time. The rooms were spacious and contemporary decor very beautiful. Loved having 2 rooms and 2 huge tv's on wall. Double vanity in Bathroom.
Staff was attentive and very helpful and friendly.
The water park/pools/slides/hot tubs/lazy river was great!. Will be great for children even more. The landscaping was ongoing and will grow more beautiful with time. Food was delicious. Presentation good, especially the breakfast buffet. Maybe a more child friendly restaurant, more casual and less expensive would be great. Spa was beautiful, a little pricey though for services. We will return and we will pass on information to others. Self parking will be great once the parking lot is completed. We see work in progress and we are sure it will get even better and bigger in the future. Add photos especially water park to web site would be very helpful.

Uh...........no

by TripAdvisor Member rsw1

To preface my comments, my family and friends have been coming to Del Lago for 15+ years. It was always our getaway place on Conroe. Consistant, fun and most of all relaxing. Conroe, for those that know the area, is about boating, fishing, jet skiing and casual fun.
The new Del Lago?. Our group ( 4 adults and a 7 year old child), stayed mad and frustrated about half the time we were there. Not relaxed as you're supposed to be on a weekend getaway.
The resort is not boating friendly or fishing friendly, nor do they accomodate any "fun factor" you would usually associate with going to the lake. The "new" Del Lago is a hassle at every turn.
As for the great reviews, I suppose if you were looking for the "Belagio" on lake Conroe, this is the place for you. If you're looking for relaxed family fun, not so much.

Let's begin with your arrival. It is forced valet whether you like it or not. If you have boat, fishing poles, and all your family recreation stuff to unload, you've got serious issues!!!
The resort is simply not set up to accomodate these things (but it's on the water and has piers and a marina?) .
After we waited for 20 minutes to valet, your vehicle is taken to a parking lot 2-3 miles away. Yes, you read correctly, 2-3 miles.. If little "johnny" forgot his fishing pole, you can either wait an hour (yes that's right, an hour) to get your vehicle back, or you can ride a golf cart 2-3 miles down the road to a dusty parking lot, try to find your vehicle, then retrieve your things. (by the way, do not go there with a freshly clean vehicle, or your porche. It will come back covered in dirt and soot. My freshly detailed truck which cost me $20 came back FILTHY.) This is all done with no apology from the staff, AND they expect you to pay for this!!.
So after all this "fun" and bad first impression we went to the front desk to check in. Yep, no reservation, or so we were told. Turns out after 15 minutes, the girl that took our reservation had butchered my last name, hence the lack of reservation. Uh....my last name is EASY to spell and very common. Our friends? Exact same thing happened to them. If you name is Smith?, it will get entered in the system as "Blyth". Nice!

So....whatever, we came here for fun. Nevermind the 1 hour hassle we just went through, let's have some fun! The rooms were nice!! We checked out the room, and all looked good. So...we changed and hit the pool! Great right? Uh wrong. We asked a young lady at a lobby desk the best way to get to the pool. She replied, "uh, I'm not sure, I guess through there", and pointed. The employees aren't sure how to get to the pool?

The pool. Nice but......No pool towels. None. We must have asked no less than 6 staff members for towels. Not one of them knew where to get a towel, but, they'd find some and get back with us. So....after 6 people over I'd say the 5 hours we spent at the pool, we never got a towel. Each person, never returned or even apologized. This was when we really began to notice the lack of customer service. For every person pool side that was having fun, there was an equal amout complaining about customer service.
So how about a pool side snack? Uh, NO. You will either pay the $16 for the pool side buffet or you get nothing. The grill was "closed". That's a deal if you're staying out there all day, but what if you just want some chips? Not going to happen. So....BRING YOUR OWN I guess?
They also had a band playing pool side, nice, but one small problem. The music they piped in was not turned off when the band played. The result? You couldn't hear the band. Sounds minor, but it's this inattention to DETAIL that was the hallmark of their operations. They just seemed so out of sync.

Which reminds me of that other "special" treatment you get. (And it was our friends that pointed this out to us). DO NOT pick anything up from the bar or fridge in your room for more than 45 seconds (I couldn't be any more serious). In 45 seconds, that item is charged to your room bill. We brought some cokes with us, and used the in room fridge. By moving the $10 cokes in the fridge, we were charged for taking it. Their daughter picked up and looked the jellybeans, they we charged for just looking at them........LOL.
OH.....MY..... GOD!
So whatever. We'd had enough of Del Lago's "service" at this point, so we decided to go into Walden and have dinner and drinks at "Caddyshack" (which I highly recommend). One hour later, no truck. Can you imagine standing there for 1 hour at the valet?, hungry and wanting your vehicle? So check this out. After being told 3x our vehicle was on the way, my wife went in the key room and sure enough, there were my keys. The staff? Unapologetic. "Ooops". I was FUMING mad, and so were about 10 other families outside waiting for their vehicle. Let's just say, a lot of 4 letter words were being muttered by all!
But hey, at least my wife went in and spoke to the manager about it. The manager agreed to take the $8 valet fee off our room. The $8 valet fee? I want 2 hours of my life back jerking around with the valet coming and going!! So, we go to check out. Nope, the valet fee is still on there....NICE!!!

Bottom line? If this resort had been open for 1 week, the lack of customer service and poor organization might be expected, but this place has been open for 6 months. As a professional facilty and operations manager, I can tell you management just isn't cutting it. Where's the organization, the training, the well oiled machine of an operation? I'd be fired in an instant for running my operations that way, but at Del Lago, that's the norm. They don't seem to expect a lot out of themselves, but instead seem to expect their patrons to be the ones to just deal with it and be understanding. For $250 a night (with tt&l plus valet fee) "we're" just supposed to be understanding it seems.
Del Lago, bring back the family fun, great customer service, and attention to DETAIL, or get some people in ther that know how to train staff and run an operation.

Great Business Trip Destination. Bringing My Son Back This Summer.

by TripAdvisor Member martintrumont

I live in Houston but my company flew in several associates from other states and put us all up at La Toretta for two days. We're a pretty laid back company so we planned on having a laid back time by getting meetings out of the way early so we could relax and play some golf.

The conference rooms we reserved were perfect for our small group and came equipped with everything that we asked for. The staff was great when we requested additional equipment and some other items we forgot when making reservations. Kudos to them for sure.

The golf course was very well maintained. I had heard bad things about it years ago but it is obvious that the course has had a complete redesign and overhaul. Whoever was the course architect did a great job of keeping the holes fun and challenging. There is excellent use of hazards on the course. Definitely worth playing.

My room was spacious, clean, well decorated, and had modern technology like lcd tvs. I don't watch much t.v. at home so it's something I look forward to when I stay at a hotel and so many places are still lacking in this area. Not La Toretta. The bed was so comfortable and I can remember sleeping so well in such a long time.

All in all everything was great.The staff was friendly and helpful. There was so much to do but I didn't have enough time to take advantage of them all because of meetings. I will bring my son back with me this summer so we can hit the lake and water slides for a weekend. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Very Pretty but No Attention to Details

by TripAdvisor Member hounative79

The hotel has a very modern and beautiful look. However the staff is friendly but inefficient. It is way over priced and for the type of resort they are trying to be, it is far from it.

Good:
Nice Views, modern, big rooms, nice flat screen tv's.

Bad:
No lights on the balcony so you can't really sit outside because it's too dark and dangerous. The chair on the balcony is a white plastic one I could have bought at Walmart for 12.00. If I'm paying over $200, I expect higher quality chairs and lighting. I tried to go to the gift shop since there weren't any soda machines on the floor in the afternoon, and it was closed because the girl was on a break. We stayed the entire weekend and the room was never cleaned. The valet parking attendants are not professional at all, they are loud and take forever. The parking lot is away from the hotel and is gravel. It's not covered and not even concrete. My car came back muddy and full of dirt.

This hotel has good intentions but needs more qualified staff, an actual parking lot, higher quality of details. I will not be going back if I don't have to.

Stay somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member 16weekayeartraveler

Came here with a conference other wise I would have check out the first night.

When you turn in from the main road look directly to your left at the unlit gravel parking lot, yep that will be where your car is parked. You MUST valet, no choice here, their way or the highway, this is the begining of a trend.

The front desk people were very nice, slow but nice no herry here!

The room in the tower is beautiful. Nicest thing about this place.

The rug was filthy, hair in the sink and (sorry this is nasty) spots on the floor around the toilet. I called down and request a quick clean up, The got the rug, missed the other two issues, a towel on the floor by the toilet at least masked this problem for the rest of the stay.

I went down to get a bite of dinner about 8:45pm. Now I faced a problem, where are the restaurants? There are NO signs or indications for anything. I guess you need to bring a crystal ball to find your way around.
The only restaurant was open and yep it was the most expensive on here. I thought well I will just go to the snack bar, nope it closed at 5pm! What is this banker hours?

Had to go thru the valet thing, man what a pain. They have got ot get a handle on this, it really seems like this is their first week open.

The next morning I had to go to the conference center to set up for a trade show. I came back to get a shower for the opening of the show I was doing and could not believe that there was no water.

I called to the front desk, where is the water and when will it be back on I asked? To which I got "I don't know when it will be back on" you can go to the spa (1/2 mile away) if you want a shower. That is what I want to do in 102 degree 85% humidity go ride in a golf cart to get a shower.

I complained but had no choice. I asked for the manager to call, no heard from him yet, so I take this to you. Want to pay a bunch, get 3rd class service, eat with the sunset crowd, wonder the halls looking for stuff then this is the place for you!

Interior of the yacht clubInterior of the yacht club

MuralMural

Crawfish Bisque $4.95Crawfish Bisque $4.95

Parking lot side of the unitsParking lot side of the units

Comments