650 Anderson County Road 468, Palestine, Texas, 75803, United States
Travel Tips for Palestine
Palestine Community Forest
Driving up through either Texas Hwy 19 (to Athens) or US 287 (to Corsicana) will take you through the Palestine Community Forest. There is around 700 acres of pines and hardwoods and taking Hwy19 especially is quite pretty. The drives will leave you to four different lakes which provide boating and finishing. During autumn there is added colour with the sweetgums, Yaupons and Sumacs adding their colour.
This plaque commemorates 36 marked and approximately 23 unmarked graves in Swanston cemetery. Many of those whose labour built Anderson County and Houston County are buried here. One of the areas first Brickmakers, Samuel M. Warden died while working on Main's Estate on Christmas eve in 1847 and was the first to be buried here with only bricks of his own manufacture marking his grave. The slaves and former slaves of Henry Clay Swanson (former member of the Alabama State Legislature who moved with his brother and families to this area and operated a mercantile store in town) were also buried here. A young girl was among the last interred in the 1940's.
Location: Texas State Railroad Park, Hwy 84.
Sacred Heart Church
This Gothic Revival styled church was designed by Nicholas Clayton who was a well known architect of St Mary's Church in Austin as well as the wonderful Bishop's Palace in Galveston. The handmade bricks were from clay which was dredged from the excavation of the town's Spring Park Lake. This was the first building in Palestine to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The beautiful bells were being played when I was there.
The original building on this site was a log cabin which was built by one of the areas earliest settlers, Judge James Perry. A prominent local businessman, Adolphus Benson Hodges (1858-1913), built this home, which was known as Elmwood in 1910/11. It was completed shortly before his death. The house was originally styled as Queen Ann but in the early 20th century the style was changed when a pedimented portico was added to the front of the house.
Lone Pine Baptist Church
Back in the early 1890's, the original congregation of this church first held their services in a one room building which was to serve both as a church and a school. There was one single pine tree on the property which provided a name for the church. A larger building was built in 1916 for the same dual purpose but about a year later the two institutions divided and a church was built in 1920 called the Tabernacle. While the walls and roof were solid, the interior floor was dirt. As the church grew, improvements were made and additional facilities added. The church has continued to serve the community for over 8 decades.
Popular Hotels in Palestine