Hampton Inn & Suites Palestine
2700 South Loop 256, Palestine, Texas, 75801, United States
Travel Tips for Palestine
Texas State Railroad
This park is operated by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. There are antique steam engines and cars which operate from March through to October on a 25.5 mile route to Rusk (and return). The trip is through dense East Texas woodlands and hardwood creek bottoms and is especially lovely during Spring when the Dogwood trees are blooming and in Autumn when the turning of the trees.
Location: East on U.S. 84 (to Rusk)
National Scientific Balloon Facility
The NSB is located on 400 acres, 5 miles west of Palestine and is a NASA facility which is managed by the Physical Science Lab of New Mexico State University. This was the first permanent facility which was devoted exclusively to scientific ballooning. In addition to scientific experiments, many flights designed to add advancements to balloon technology have been made. The facility is open, within practical limits, to all scientists with balloon-borne experiments to fly.
Balloons are launched between June and August, when the westwardly direction of the winds are best to ensure the balloons are directed away from populated areas. Guided tours of the facility can be arranged in advance.
Location: 1510 E. FM 3224 (5 miles west of Palestine)
This is one of several public parks and was named after John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905). Reagan was a Texas pioneer, Postmaster, General of the Confederacy, first chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission, a US Senator and principal author of the Interstate Commerce bill. The bandstand in the park was built for the US Bicentennial in 1976.
John & Emma Hearne House
This house is quite a landmark in Palestine and was built in 1896 by a native Texan from Robertson County, John Randolph Hearne who moved to Palestine in 1876. Mr Hearne operated retail drug stores in both Dallas and Palestine and also helped organise the Palestine National Bank. John Hearn's parents gave land to him and his new bride Emma Howard in 1883 as a wedding present. The house was built in pine and oak which Hearn personally selected and the red brick veneer was added in 1902.
The house continues to remain in the Hearne Family. Infact Esther Hearne lives in the house. The Texas Country Reporter t.v. series did a segment on this wonderful old lady in 2004, who at 102 yrs old was learning the computer, sending emails and surfing the net. Her instructor was a former pupil of this school teacher. It was an amazing story.
The house was built by Judge McClure in 1849 when he moved to Palestine. He was the first district clerk for Anderson County and co-owner of the regions first newspaper, the 'Trinity Advocate' . Originally the house was built as a centre passage dwelling but the next owner, Zacharia McReynolds altered it in 1884 to a U-shape plan. McReynolds was a confederate veteran from Georgia and was held many jobs such as district clerk, county clerk, county judge, tax collector and postmaster. McReynolds daughter married John Reagan's grandson, Colonel Godfrey Fowler and the couple retired to the house in1934 when her father died. The house is still in the McReynolds family.
Popular Hotels in Palestine