Nylo Plano at Legacy

Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Nylo Plano at Legacy

NYLO - A different experince

by TripAdvisor Member YlgYlg

I have personaly stayed at the NYLO on several occasions. Being a local resident it is a great weekend getaway with a chic hip crowd, and an exciting nightlife. On the reverse side, I have used them extensivley when bringing in out-of-town business associates, and have always recieved positive feedback of their stay. The unique experience that comes from staying at the NYLO, is one that you will remember, and leave you wanting more. It's a break from the traditional hotel experiencce. I have taken advantage of their meeting facilities for our Board of Directors meeting, it was a welcome change to the over conservative expecation. I would recommend this hotel for both professional, as well as recreational travel.

Another Stay at the NYLO -

by TripAdvisor Member saintba

This is my 2nd review of the NYLO. I stayed earlier this year. I live in Buenos Aires so Dallas is quite a long haul for me but I go a few times a year to visit friends and do some shopping as Dallas has some of the best shopping in the world believe it or not.

I had to meet a friend in far North Plano so I booked this place. I was really surprised that the rates have fallen on the hotel since the last time I came. Literally the price was almost half price of what I stayed on my last trip. A nice room was only $135 including the sales tax per night.

The recession definitely is in full swing in the USA as I came during Texas/Oklahoma weekend when 35,000 people from Oklahma come to Dallas for the big game. Even considering this the hotel wasn't booked although many of the guests were from Oklahoma judging from license plates in the parking lot.

One thing I noticed this trip vs. the last trip is the hotel has a pool. I didn't use it but I noticed it out of my room window this time. Also, a nice natural gas fireplace that they have going all day long as well. The pool actually looked pretty nice.

The room is pretty good sized and very quiet. Nice black out blinds. The bathroom has a nice rainfall shower with strong water pressure. The wi-fi internet is FREE and glitch free and very fast. Big LCD 42' TV as well.

The only problem I had was the AC didn't work so well and never really adjusted to the temperature I set. It did work but just didn't get as cold as I wanted. I didn't complain about it as it still was blowing cold air.

The staff still seems mostly younger and not too experienced but I didn't have a problem with them at all.

Something nice is they changed the check-out to 12 PM vs. 10 AM. I think the website still says 10 AM but when I requested a late check-out to 12 PM the girl at the front desk said they changed it to 12 PM anyway.

The only complaint I have is there is no small refrigerators in the room and if you request one they charge you $35 per night for the use of one. They definitely should include this in the rooms free.

Honestly, for the price now it's really a bargain. It's pretty far North out of Dallas but with the tollway as long as you aren't traveling in rush hour it's a pretty quick zip downtown. Before I'd say it was overpriced for the location as I spent over $225 earlier this year but with these new "recession prices" it's a good value for the money.

NYLO loft concept is weak and disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member jepmdr

My business stay at the NYLO Loft hotel in Plano was disappointing to say the least. When I think of lofts, I think of wide open high ceiling spacious areas exposed concrete, electrical, HVAC etc. I think of airiness and simplicity of design.

Rooms at the The NYLO are NOT spacious by any means and the high ceilings, cement walls and floors make the tiny rooms more jail cell than NY style loft living experience.

The noise between rooms is elevated by the lack of sound proofing and the bathrooms (although very stylish) are so tiny and narrow you must know yoga to enjoy and get around them.

The meeting rooms have very little electrical light and are not conducive to serious business meetings especially if you are using a projected image or making presentations. The rooms are either nearly totally dark (overhead lights are worthless) or too bright with the blinds open to the street. The glass opening to the lobby requires closing the blinds over the doors to keep meeting information private. Just not a good meeting place.

The restaurant serves adequate food but in an atmosphere that feels like the designer had no idea about comfort but used ugly and ridiculously designed furniture. It just looks junky.

The NYLO is trying way too hard and I would go back to the Marriott Legacy in a heart-beat for consistency over trendy uncomfortable style. I like great design but when it is functional and the NYLO is not.

Also know that there is no room service and the restaurant doesn't open until 8am.

I suggest you pass on this one and I don't think the brand concept will last very long. Oh, yes, it is a bit cheaper with a group rate than the Marriott but not enough to warrant the choice.

Kinks to work out

by TripAdvisor Member TripRN

The NYLO has many advantages to the frequent traveler in that you can explore the chic, shopper's paradise of Frisco and Plano, TX without a long commute and you can enjoy a unique architecture and loft-like structure of a quaint room at a reasonable price. The NYLO, for all its perks, needs to focus on perfecting their customer service, though. Check in was a breeze, but when I requested extra blankets I was told the desk would "need to look for one" and it was never delivered. My AC leaked water underneath the bed and frighteningly close to electrical cords and if you plan on leaving and returning after dark, good luck finding parking! The NYLO has a club/bar atmosphere after hours and no guest parking is reserved, so you may have to drag your bag across the four-lane highway or park in the grass. Lastly, the fire alarms blared in the middle of the night, we all evacuated, and it took 30 minutes to silence the alarms. Cute, posh, but be prepared for some minor snafus.

Different concept

by TripAdvisor Member mcflyyoupi

I stayed a the Nylo for about a weeks. It is a very different concept than the usual hotels I use to stay in, especially in Dallas/Plano area.

The furbishment is very modern, kind of room in a old factory. The bed if very confortable, and the room size is ok (at least for my europen standards).

The hotel proposes a true breakfast (14 USD) in the morning, and some good stuff in the evening. The bar is really nice: very confortable sofa or armchairs, very trendy style, a pool outside etc, and good music (until at least 11pm)

Very good hotel to stay a few days, maybe be a bit noisy sometimes (especially if your room in on the bar side), but the service is globally very good.

Quirky But Needs Some Tweaking

by TripAdvisor Member sweetgracie

Our stay at the NYLO involved some good and some bad. Check in was quite lengthy as our reservation was not in their system. I don't know if it was the fault of Expedia or the fault of the hotel. After staying there, I'm more inclined to believe it was the hotel. Anyway, after finally getting our room key and getting in the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was so different than any other hotel room I've ever been in. The ceiling, walls, and floor were all concrete. There were rugs around the room but I thought how cold the floors would be in the winter. The bed was heavenly and the shower was divine. It looked like IKEA did the decorating. Overall, the effect was pleasing. The lighting in the bathroom was very dim; it was diffucult to put make-up on.
We could hear music from the outdoor club until around 1:00.
My husband wans't too impressed so I don't think I'll come back with him, but my daughter would love it! It's really a place for the twenty-something crowd.

Not worth the aggravation...

by TripAdvisor Member jellonailer

Booked a room on the hotel website after a little effort and held it with my debit card. Picked NYLO mainly because of the location and the concept was intriguing. Arrived in mid afternoon and like a previous writer mentioned the hotel parking lot was empty - no wonder the rate was only $99. Check-in was uneventful though I used my credit card, for the miles. After dinner that night we returned to the hotel and too our surprised the parking lot was packed, double parked, on the lawn, anywhere and everywhere. The front desk was overwhelmed and couldn't help much though we were paying guests. The closest parking was 200 yards away on a well traveled street so I waited up until after 1:00 a.m. to move my car to a safe spot in the parking lot. the next morning was uneventful and I checked out. Not being a novice (I'd been though the debit card game at hotels) which is why I used my credit card at check-in. You can imagine my surprise when I reviewed my bank account on-line later that evening and found not one, but 2 holds on my account, and both had another $100 tacked on for good measure. In addition, my credit card was dinged for the room amount! I called the front desk and I was politely told it was right, they didn't know why but they did release it and it's between me and the bank. $533 of holds for a $111 hotel bill. Go figure. Besides that, general comments are similar to previous postings: indifferent staff, average rooms, and lastly the bathroom design is terrible - the door and shower is virtually open to the rest of the room - you fill in the rest.

You're not in New York anymore

by TripAdvisor Member bossysooz

The good news first: Great beds, great food, a couple of good people in the dining room, as well as the fellow in charge of food and beverage.

The bad news: almost everything else. It is difficult to read in bed because of the lighting. It is impossible to put your makeup on in the bathroom because of the lighting. There isn't a full length mirror in the room. The space is prison like. The clock is unreadable from the bed; you have to sit up and get close to see what time it is. The air conditioner is right behind the headboard and blows directly on your head. My air conditioning wouldn't turn off or adjust in any way. I reported this, but nothing was done.

Now the really bad news: The front desk is either poorly hired or poorly trained, or both. I arrived for a business meeting. The front desk did not have my reservation, and they had room, but instead of immediately sending me to a room or upgrading me, they made me stand there for twenty minutes while they went back and forth about the rate, etc. I asked if I could hop in the shuttle and go over to Kinko's to pick up some things in the meantime, and they told me the shuttle wasn't operating that night. At no point did anyone apologize or tell me they were sorry in any way. I finally got on my cell phone and called the travel office of the firm whose two day meeting I was facilitating, and the hotel finally found my room. Once again, no apology and no effort to make up for the inconvenience.

The next evening after the first day of the meeting, I used the shuttle service to go to Nordstrom's. The driver told me to call when I was ready to return, but I told him just to meet me at the same spot in an hour and a half. The store wasn't interesting, so i rang the hotel and asked to be picked up earlier and was told the driver was eating dinner and wouldn't be there for at least a half hour. The hotel is five minutes away. Again, no concern on the part of the front desk, no apology.

The firm for who I was working has two more two day meetings scheduled there, but I will encourage them to find another venue. This hotel tries very hard to be hip with all the concrete and clever furniture, but it is more like a trendy furniture showroom than a place associated with hospitality. Pretentious and sad.

As a contrast, the next week I checked into a Courtyard by Marriot in Lexington, KY, had made a mistake on my arrival date. The hotel was totally booked and I had appeared as a no show the night before. Without missing a beat, the front desk clerk called the manager, who immediately said, 'We are sold out, but we'll find a spot for you." They did and did not penalize me for my own mistake in dates.

Also, the Plano Kinkos, which is near the NYLO, delivered my paperwork at no charge when they heard the shuttle was not running. The fellow who was working that night told me he would drop it off on his way home. Now, that is service.

Fun and Retro

by TripAdvisor Member crystalmartha

This is a very modern hotel. It is a bit confusing when you get there as the entrance is not really well defined. That's my only complaint. It was a very neat and clean establishment. The front desk staff was VERY helpful and welcoming. The rooms are very small but efficiently arranged. Would not be a great hotel if you are planning on spending a lot of time in your room. The bathroom is very open and there is little privacy, so make sure you're very comfortable with your travel companion. The bed was superb. We ate in the resturant and had a couple of drinks at the lounge. The drink prices were outrageous, but the food was more moderately priced. We ate the potato string fries for an appetizer (YUMMY) and mushroom/goat cheese pizza for our meal. It was superb. Well above average hotel overall. The rate we got was much better than the average that has been posted here(almost half).

Few shortcomings, but excellent overall

by TripAdvisor Member jbb84

This is a great gem we found. We often travel to Plano and its been great each time except for minor things here and there.

So first the bad :
1. No room service. That really sucks when you are tired and hungry and don't have time to go down to the restaurant.
2. Not a whole lot of storage/closet space.

And now the good :
1. Very clean and tastefully decorated rooms. Also comfy bed and nice, plush linens and towels.
2. Great customer service. We slept in once and were not charged extra for late checkout.
3. Love the free water bottles and long distance phone calls.
4. Great food in the restaurant, especially the bar.
5. Great weekend rates, sometimes as low as $70.

Comments