A Laughing Horse Lodge

503 East Avenue G at 11th Street, Port Aransas, Texas, 78373, United States

More about A Laughing Horse Lodge

This is a funky wonderful place!

by TripAdvisor Member Kaisfem

We came down for the weekend and were amazed at how friendly and wonderful the innkeepers were (esp. Sandy). The decorations inside the units are fun, funky and brings a smile to your face. AND these are very reasonably priced. You can't go wrong here. LOVED IT!

Not so great

by TripAdvisor Member mayorshinn

I thought long and hard about writing a negative review about this place because so many people seem to love it and I sincerely liked the managers of the place when I met them. If you are looking for a funky place with little or no extras- this is it. My single room had concrete floors, sheet metal walls, and a really cheap bed. It was clean and functional. But- and I hate to say it - I was awakened in the night by a large waterbug crawling across my legs under the sheets. It is close to the beach and you can park right outside your room. The price was around $75 winter rates for the cheapest room. A better value is across the street at the brand new Holiday Inn express for $89 and that includes breakfast, great bed, and no bugs. Once again, very nice people, and a cool funky property. Might have felt better if the cost of the room was $45 or so, but at $75 and up I expect more than just nice folks.

Can't wait to get back to the Laughing Horse Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member levidfw

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Laughing Horse, they were the most accomodating and friendly people around. When we got there, the cabins were a little warm and they came down and checked them and also brought a couple of box fans to help cool the place down faster. Other than that the place was exactly as we thought it would be. The stay was relaxing and enjoyable. If you are expecting a 4 star hotel, then you need to keep looking. But if you are looking for a blast from the past and a fun and kitschy place to stay then this is the place for you! I would highly recommend it if you want to relax and just have a great time.
Brian Fort Worth, TX

Rustic, Friendly, Wireless Internet

by TripAdvisor Member Unbelizablegrrl

This is a quaint cabana style hotel about two blocks from the beach in Port A. It seemed a bit pricey, but perhaps that is normal for the location. In any event, it was clean and the owners were very friendly. The bed was really comfortable. The wireless internet was great. The location is convenient, and the decor very cute.

The place was a bit noisy in the early mornings. The hotel allows dogs, which is generally a good thing in my estimation, as I am a dog lover. I have realized that dogs with shrill wake-up barks before 9am on a Sunday morning are not my thing. I also realized that the walls were VERY thin when the dog stopped yapping immediately after I sleepily called out, "SHUT UP YOUR YAPPY DOG!" This was the only issue I had with the place.

It was very relaxing, despite the yap factor.

Well, we wanted to go cheap...

by TripAdvisor Member Osmigo

My wife and I had an impulse to just run down the Port A for a few days, just to get away. It was sort of a last-minute trip, and we wanted to go low-budget, nothing fancy. Just a quick trip: "hey, honey, let's run down to Port A for the weekend!"

I'd seen the Laughing Horse many times (I've been coming to Port A for over 30 years), and decided to give it a try. Big mistake. We were MISERABLE.

I can't fault the management. They were great folks, very friendly and warm.

Basically, we just got nothing. The door opens into a tiny little kitchen with a little table and two cheap plastic deck chairs. Then there was a door to the bedroom. It was very small, with ONE worn out cushioned chair to sit in, and an ancient B&W televsion that got 2 or 3 grainy channels. That's it, there's nothing else.

The window A/C, right at the foot of the bed, roared like a locomotive; it was impossible to sleep.

The mattress was indescribable. It was like sleeping on box springs. EXTREMELY uncomfortable. You could actually feel the metal springs digging into your ribs.

You have no patio or anywhere to sit outside. The dirt parking area goes right up to the door, so you're constantly tracking in dirt and sand, which crunches under your feet on the hard tile floor.

In my 30 years of vacationing at Port A, this was absolutely the WORST experience I've ever had. It's really depressing to play on the beach all day, then in the evening you can't even relax in your room. We went out late in the evenings just to AVOID the room.

People, take it from me, somebody who's stayed in half the accomodations in this town: read the reviews, and do your homework. Renting a place to stay in Port A, at ANY price, is a gamble. It might be a paradise, it might be miserable.

Again, the management was nice - they're really being wasted on a run-down property like this.

Dog Friendly, But....

by TripAdvisor Member Fegus

Pros: Very dog friendly. Owners really seemed to want clients to enjoy their time at the Lodge. Located in walking distance to beach and restaurants.

Cons: One bedroom very small. Air conditioner in bedroom, so rest of unit stayed very steamy. No daily maid service. Units on one side of the complex are in sun and so hot you could never sit outside and enjoy fresh air. No porch to provide shade on one bedroom units. Porches only found on the largest units.

Owners not responsible for hot weather, but should have accomodations that try to limit the exposure to the heat and sun. We left early, something we rarely do, but this time we just didn't want to stay another day.

We loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member twoblue4me

a Laughing Horse Lodge might be the perfect beach rental. Each of the cottages is painted in eye-popping colors, inside and out, with "beach-tacky" decor. Friendly dogs are allowed.

Our cottage was spic-and-span clean, and the staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay. They seemed to genuinely care that we were enjoying ourselves and wanted to make us as comfortable as possible. In the evenings, we enjoyed coming back from the beach (2 blocks away) and sitting on the porch in front of the cottage. A BBQ grill was provided, as well as plenty of chairs for relaxing.

I read one post about the Laughing Horse where someone was complaining about seeing ONE cockroach in their cottage. I used to live in Corpus Christi, and I can say this from personal experience: no matter how clean you are, no matter how much bug spray you use, this is a tropical climate and the tree roaches LOVE the palms and the weather. It's impossible to get rid of every roach in your house or beach rental. Bottom line, a Laughing Horse Lodge is a fun, family-friendly and VERY clean place to stay. We weren't bothered by any roaches. We'd definitely stay here again!

Great accomodations

by TripAdvisor Member portaransasregular

Our cottage was neat and clean. We had everything we needed to cook, shower, etc. Laughing Horse is very pet friendly. We will stay there again. We have been going to Port Aransas since our honeymoon 30 years ago and this is the best place we have ever stayed. I would recommend anyone with pets to stay here. They have pet dishes available when you arrive. They even provide "dog" towels. The only thing I would recommend would be adding extra electrial plug ins.

Just delightful!

by TripAdvisor Member bonifiedchick

Wow, what a place to stay!! We LOVED every moment at The Laughing Horse...A truly unique stay, and we cannot wait to go back to this place!! The staff is really friendly and personable, the kind of people that make you feel like they have known you a lifetime, very warm and welcoming. The Laughing Horse is quiet, safe, and cozy, like home away from home. I just can't say enough about this place! The rooms are very clean, and even come equipped with a fridge, coffee maker, toaster, and microwave. We LOVED the "quirkiness" of the colors that are used throughout the rooms...VERY unique, and ya just can't find this at any other place!
I tell everyone I can about The Laughing Horse, and encourage them to check this place out, because I know they'll love it! The next time we're in Port Aransas, it's a NO-BRAINER, we'll be staying at The Laughing Horse...Wish I could go back tomorrow!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
To the staff...THANKS for the GREAT stay!!

Laughing Horse the 2nd time around

by TripAdvisor Member sinclairjes

This was my second stay at a Laughing Horse Lodge. Again I had an pleasant experience. The stocked kitchenettes made it easy to create family meals together while away. Charcoal grill at each unit a wonderful addition.
They offer several types of cabanas. Having traveled there with my family I find the two bedrooms with kitchenette most comfortable. I have stayed in the units Horse Feathers and Rocking Horse. These are individual units, so you enjoy a greater sense of privacy than a stay at a hotel or motel.
The staff was kind and attentive. Also patient with my numerous questions.
I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else on the island.

Comments