Best Western Sunset Suites Riverwalk

Tags

Business Travel School Holidays Arts and Culture
See Amenities

Avoid At All Costs

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2014

If you want a hotel convenient to the San Antonio Riverwalk, this is not your best choice. Despite the term "Riverwalk" in their name, this hotel is four blocks from the Riverwalk and is on dark and dangerous streets where I would not want to walk at night. We did rent a room at this motel and ended up driving to the Riverwalk and parking in one of the pay-parking structures. When we returned to the hotel in the evening we were informed that the motel's parking lot was full and that we would have to park in another lot which was down one of those dark streets and hidden behind another building. This other lot had only "visiting security", meaning that a guard might visit the lot but was not physically in attendance. At that point, we were a thousand miles from home and leaving our car in an unsecured parking lot did not seem like a safe idea. Although they advertise that they have free parking, I have been informed that this hotel has 30 parking spaces for their 100 rooms. Had I known this, I would never have considered this hotel.

So we left this motel and went seeking another place to stay at ten o'clock at night. Fortunately, we were able to find another vacancy although it took us an hour and a half of wandering around an unfamiliar city in the dark.

The most insulting part of this story is that when we informed the motel desk that we were leaving unless they could provide secure parking, the front desk recommended that we park in a handicap space in the hotel lot even though I am not handicapped. I refused to do that because I believe it would be illegal and immoral to take a handicap space from someone who really needed it. The front desk then refused to reverse the charges on my credit card which required me to go through a dispute process with my credit card company.

Oh, did I forget to mention that check-in time is 3:00 p.m., which is when we arrived. However, the room was not ready until 5:00 p.m., requiring us to leave and return. How's that for 'customer service'? As you may guess, I'll never book another Worst Western hotel and would advise others to take heed of my story.

Choo Choo Clang Clang

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 13, 2008

Let me start by saying the hotel is actually very nice. The room was clean and the lobby area very open and inviting. However, what they dont tell you is that the Sunset Station is a functioning rail line and the trains run all night. That includes the loud horns that usually accompany a train crossing. The station is one block away from the hotel. We were able to finally get to sleep around 4 AM. Due to the high rise construction just across the street we were woke up three hours later. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone who desires to have a good night sleep. The hotel manager was very well versed on the subject of denying any customers any type of compensation! Not even a free cup of coffee to get you going after the sleepless night! I am extremely disappointed with this Best Western Hotel.

welcome to Best Western Sunset Suites Riverwalk

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2007

At the Best Western Sunset Suites Riverwalk, our stay with hotel is relaxing, memorable and fun. Visit at http://www.bestwesternsunsetsuites.com/

Unique Quality: # Free parking

Maria250's Profile Photo

Best Western Sunset Station

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 27, 2007

Best Western are always dependable in their solid quality, and so was this Best Western Sunset Station too. Great breakfast, very fresh buffet, big selection of everything. Very nice staff, great service. One minus (to me), was the honking of trains every night between 0200 to 0400. Beside that, it's a very recommendable hotel.

Best Western Sunset Suites hotel is close to San Antonio's Riverwalk area though not actually in it, being 1 mile east, at 1103 E Commerce St, just east of exit 141B of I-37. Closer sites of interest include the Alamodome and Hemisfair Park, both a short walk southwards. This is an all suite hotel (64 rooms; 4 floors), that occupies a historic building built in 1905; for 40 years this was one of the main grocery stores in the city and also hosted an illegal nightclub during the prohibition era. The surrounding Sunset Station district has many more fine old buildings from the early 20th century, as a well as a good selection of restaurants. The hotel has an exercise facility, gift shop and business center but no pool.

Directions: Best Western Sunset Station
1103 E Commerce St
San Antonio, TX 78205

raevnzno's Profile Photo

Recycling Character

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 23, 2005

Convenient downtown location. Great choice if your itenerary includes any activities at the Alamodome. Brochures indicate it near the riverwalk, but that would be quite a walk. It is actually across the highway from the rivercenter mall, which would be your best access to the riverwalk.

Unique Quality: Old historic buildings that have been refurbished. Very beautiful. Pool is a tad small, but then again I was there the end of October and swimming or sunning wasn't on my list of priorities. Staff was very friendly, and did their best to accomodate all of our requests.

Nearby Best Western Sunset Suites Riverwalk

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

San Antonio Travel Forum

Need advice about San Antonio, Texas? Visit the Travel Forum for San Antonio and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Antonio hotel reviews

Kangaroo Court
Sushi Zushi
Pico de Gallo
Restaurants
Photographers: Enjoy a mostly original mission
Photographers: Lovely Arches at the Mission